Old 04-27-2009, 03:19 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Another Company to Add to the List

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtStream View Post
This is a systemic problem prevalent throughout the US corporate world.

Short term greed, ignorance and a holier than thou attitude has lead to the fall of many once great and innovative American companies.

Xerox
Westinghouse

Kodak
Polaroid
RCA
Magnavox
Fisher

The list goes on and on.

I see a frightening pattern here
Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) See: Digital Equipment Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Once second only to IBM and now "Gone Baby Gone."

Fundamental misreading of the market coupled with their corporate self image dominated by engineers (they made the company, I will admit). They suffered from a strong "If you build it, they will come" delusion. I temped half time while working on my MBA at their Little Rock sales office near the end. They treated their own sales force poorly and seemed to resent there existence.

Those guys moved on, they are still here and DEC is not. Too bad, they built good stuff.

And back on topic, I learned to drive in a 68 Pontiac. My dad later got a 73 Bonneville with a 455 that would get 19 MPG on the highway. I still thing that's pretty good for a car about the size of an aircraft carrier. With suspension work, I think one would handle my 34' Excella just fine.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I'm amused by the "GM has too many brands" argument. Look at all the different Toyota/Lexus brands, models, trim lines. They only use two names, but they sure make a lot of different cars and trucks, plus their heavy truck division.

Gene

Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
50% Owners

The American Taxpayers now own 50% of the General Motors Corporation.

Welcome aboard fellow stockholders!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #46
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post

Amen!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Gee, I always wanted to own some GM. Maybe we can get General Dynamics next.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:28 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Gee, I always wanted to own some GM. Maybe we can get General Dynamics next.
Well, you are also in the banking business big time...write yourself a loan for it from any of the banks we own stakes in...or just take it out of petty cash.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 04-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Well, you are also in the banking business big time...write yourself a loan for it from any of the banks we own stakes in...or just take it out of petty cash.
Genius! Should have thought of that myself.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Well I remember when they pulled the rug out from under Oldsmobile and how sad a day that was (Shocking too) I had owned many in my day from F-85s, Cutlass', 442s (one a new W-30 in 1970) 98s and last a new 95 Aurora. With the end of Pontiac comes another sad day.. I had only owned 1. A new 79 Catelina but it was a pretty fair car. Just seems like alot of things are changing and it sure will be hard getting used to it...And So It Goes...
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post

The question that needs to be answered is GM capable of producing over 9 million car's after this downsizing, my guess is YES, enjoy your 50% ownership, it will be short lived, example, the Cheve Malibu and Saturn Aura are produced on the same line.

toastie
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #52
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
The question that needs to be answered is GM capable of producing over 9 million car's after this downsizing, my guess is YES, enjoy your 50% ownership, it will be short lived, example, the Cheve Malibu and Saturn Aura are produced on the same line.

toastie
The total US market is expected to be around 10,000,000 this year. GM's share is expected to be in the area of 1,800,000.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1997 30' Limited
1972 23' Safari
1965 17' Caravel
Howell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Airboss Send a message via MSN to Airboss Send a message via Yahoo to Airboss
Anyone know the most vehicles ever made by GM In 1 year? What Year?? If I remember right in the early to mid 60s they made about 2 million Chevrolets alone per year...
Old 04-27-2009, 10:10 PM   #54
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
the Cheve Malibu and Saturn Aura are produced on the same line.

toastie
Chevy Malibu if GM wanted could continue to be built regardless of a spinoff or ouright closure of Saturn. Remember, GM may be in the dumps, but they still have global capacity, something this insignificant as a Saturn assembly line or plant that shares build of a similar line is the least of their worries.

On a side note I see the CAW flinched first on the Chrysler deal....smart move.

It's 4th and down....kick or make.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:22 AM   #55
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED View Post
The total US market is expected to be around 10,000,000 this year. GM's share is expected to be in the area of 1,800,000.
I'm talking globally...........
Old 04-28-2009, 05:54 AM   #56
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
Chevy Malibu if GM wanted could continue to be built regardless of a spinoff or ouright closure of Saturn. Remember, GM may be in the dumps, but they still have global capacity, something this insignificant as a Saturn assembly line or plant that shares build of a similar line is the least of their worries.

On a side note I see the CAW flinched first on the Chrysler deal....smart move.

It's 4th and down....kick or make.
Very true, Fritz Henderson "Fritz" said that money saved from Pontiac, Saab, Hummer, Saturn would be pumped backed into the core products.
If the bond holder's accepts GM offer, look for GM to make a profit in 2010. I was shocked when Fritz said GM is reducing the dealerships by 42%..............toastie