Old 06-23-2013, 09:16 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
I'll bet that really made them happy. Grandma's always know what to get the kids.

Geez, I'm about as old as dirt and only now did I get my first multitool.
They don't have them, yet. Seeing them in a few weeks up north. They'll be fishing and doing fun things. They only know to be sure to bring a belt.

They will love them and, yes, Grandma's know. It's in our job description.

Maggie

Old 06-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #58
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I have a 2 1/2 inch Case pocketknife that belonged to my Dad. (Also a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman). I treasure the Case and IF I made a mistake and inadvertently had in my pocket going through security at the airport I would cancel the trip rather than give up that knife. I suspect many of you would do the same.

ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I've been wearing a Leatherman tool pretty much every day since the mid-90's - and use it for something pretty much every day as well - but I've started to do some carving and it isn't much good for that - so the family got me a "Carvin Jack" for Father's Day - 6 basic carving tools in one - nice and portable for camping - comfortable to use - and saves bringing the "collection" .....

Carving Tools - Folding Knives Flexcut Tool Company

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
I have quite a few pocket knives and I have recently found what I would consider to be the holy grail, a great pocket knife that looks good, feels good, performs well, takes a good sharpening, and is affordable.

The knife I am talking about is the Kershaw Cryo, you can find it at amazon for about $33, you can follow this link to see it: Amazon.com: Kershaw Cryo Speed Safe Folding Knife: Sports & Outdoors

Not sure what else to say about it but I carry this knife everywhere and it has perfomed better than some of the other knives I have that cost 3 or 4 times as much.

Old 07-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I have a 2 1/2 inch Case pocketknife that belonged to my Dad. (Also a Swiss Army knife and a Leatherman). I treasure the Case and IF I made a mistake and inadvertently had in my pocket going through security at the airport I would cancel the trip rather than give up that knife. I suspect many of you would do the same.
Unless thing have change and you have a knife at the check point it is gone you can not go back out with it.I know I had TSA security take a Swiss Army knife at the check point BUT I was a crew member so the Captain was able to get it back and keep it secure on the trip.
Never ask how stupid theTSA is'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Now I am free to carry my Leatherman right next to my gun.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmini View Post
Never ask how stupid the TSA is 'cause they'll turn around and show you.
Ain't THAT the truth! Last time I flew anywhere, I had an altercation with TSA. You know how they say, "Don't let your bags out of your sight"? Well, I went through the checkpoint, and was pulled aside for a more complete search due to metal pins in my feet. When I asked if I could retrieve my carry-on bag from the conveyor first, I was told flat-out, "No."

You can see where this is heading. While I was being searched, my bag was stolen from the checkpoint. My indignation was so severe that I damn near got myself arrested.

And who did they blame for the theft? Me. For letting the bag out of my sight. They absolutely refused to accept any liability.

I will never fly again.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #63
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Ain't THAT the truth! Last time I flew anywhere, I had an altercation with TSA. You know how they say, "Don't let your bags out of your sight"? Well, I went through the checkpoint, and was pulled aside for a more complete search due to metal pins in my feet. When I asked if I could retrieve my carry-on bag from the conveyor first, I was told flat-out, "No."

You can see where this is heading. While I was being searched, my bag was stolen from the checkpoint. My indignation was so severe that I damn near got myself arrested.

And who did they blame for the theft? Me. For letting the bag out of my sight. They absolutely refused to accept any liability.

I will never fly again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ditto
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #64
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I forgot about my pocket knife while going through security but the TSA let me take it back to the Delta counter and they shipped it to my house no charge. I was really surprised to get it back but maybe because it was the Rapid City, SD airport folks were a bit nicer. In general TSA really does have a bad attitude and have garnered no respect with the general flying public.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Y'all are probably going to laugh at that cheapy little iridium colored "Sheefield" knife, but it actually works pretty nicely. Takes an edge very easily and quickly, although it doesn't hold it long. It was a $10 deal on the end cap at the auto parts store, so I couldn't resist it. I'm of the belief you can never have too many knives. The little silver gerber at the top is one I found laying on the ground in the mud many years ago, and it's very thin and low profile, so it blends in nicely when I'm wearing dress slacks, yet is still there handy. The larger gerber at the mid $20 price range is a great everyday carry when wearing blue jeans....I never leave home without it.
Around the barn day to day, or at horse shows, I "always" have my trusty Kobalt ( Lowe's ) brand multi tool on my belt too.....how many times does a multi tool save the day ? Great invention.

EDIT: Yep, I too am one who that became totally frustrated to the to point of hating to fly and dealing with TSA agents. Lucky for me I retired in 2010, and so have not had to fly since then. Hopefully....never flying commercial air again.

I'll take the slow road with camper in tow.....

Old 07-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
That's not a knife . . . THIS is a knife

Ancient Leatherman - the case is badly worn but the tool remains bright and handy. Screwdrivers essential. With care the can opener can double as bottle opener.

Swiss Army knife in a car carry bag with glasses & other travel necessities. Of course with most Swiss Army knives the bottle opener can double as a bottle opener - or a poor screwdriver.

(Ed. What's all this interest in bottles?)

Spyderco Delica in the pocket for critical short-notice work. Serrated edge could cut a seat belt or for a variety of tasks when rendering first aid.

A knife is such a personal tool and craftsmen are offering new great products every day. Without a little self-discipline it would be too easy to own a ton of essential new knives.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Skip,
Your right about self discipline. I find I want all of them.
I had to make a decision to stop at 2. It is tough though.
Old 07-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1962 28' Ambassador
enosburg , Vermont
I'm very old school. Mid 1960s to late '70s an old timer stockman. Late 70s to late '90s a Buck bird knife. Now a Kershaw 1775 Lee Williams, love it, light weight, one hand operation, simple, reliable, well made. The 1st two knives were sharpen too nothing left and back in their boxes. I expect this Kershaw to take me across the finish line.
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Skip,
Your right about self discipline. I find I want all of them.
I had to make a decision to stop at 2. It is tough though.
Amen!
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have a small Swiss Army knife that gets used almost every day and I also carry a USA made Benchmade in my back pocket. For hunting, camping and boondocking, only a Randall Made Knife Model 5 Bradford Angier from Orlando, FL will do.

Pap

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote