Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #21
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I always bring my lovely Bride and nag-gravator. That covers the worry.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Robert - what an AWESOME note!!!

On my way back from the scales this morning (yes, I'm trying to get accurate weights :-) ) I got a "thumbs up" from a couple of Vermonters in a truck on the highway :-)

When Sue and I first settled in at a campground during driving school weekend, I think I said "I can't believe we're doing this" about 100 times!
Sheer joy is the only way I can describe it. I absolutely love the Airstream and can't wait for the next trip. I wish I were fulltiming it already!!!! :-)

Great great note, Robert. Thanks!!!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:02 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
I'm new to RV *AND* A/S ownership so I'm reading and trying to learn so much. This post does take the pressure off a bit *whew!*
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aireseneca View Post
I'm new to RV *AND* A/S ownership so I'm reading and trying to learn so much. This post does take the pressure off a bit *whew!*
The obsession to DO something, anything, even if it's rong, can be all consuming when owning an AS.

A favorite auto repair shop expression comes to mind...."if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

Bob
Old 04-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #25
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
The obsession to DO something, anything, even if it's rong, can be all consuming when owning an AS.

A favorite auto repair shop expression comes to mind...."if it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is."

Bob
And a favorite of mine: "If it ain't broke, we haven't fixed it".
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #26
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
Bob,

That clearly explains the problem I started when I started to replace the shrinking window splines on the front rock covers. Still dont have it figured out. And I just spent a whole lot of time replacing the 7 blade plug with a "premium" plug that was a pain to install and I didn't gain anything.

BTW, I'm a certified campfire enjoyer.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:57 AM   #27
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2
And I just spent a whole lot of time replacing the 7 blade plug with a "premium" plug that was a pain to install and I didn't gain anything.

Gary
You did gain something. You gained the satisfaction of doing a task well, and doing it yourself. And of course if it falls off down the road because you forgot to tighten a couple of screws, you'll have the confidence to make the needed repairs.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 AM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
...And right about now, you're probably running out to make sure you tightened the screws...
Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...And right about now, you're probably running out to make sure you tightened the screws...
That's cold, overlander63 :-)
Old 04-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
That's cold, overlander63 :-)
But funny...

And yes, I've done that before... I just made sure nobody was watching when I checked...
Old 04-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hey, I resemble that remark!

The darn thing only has SEVEN wires and ONE screw, spent an entire sunny Saturday, multiple trips to town to get ANOTHER set of eyelet crimp lug that I just had to solder and shrink wrap in only to find the exposed wire was too long for cramming into the housing, no strain relief, what did I buy it for? Cannot recommend the Hopkins Endurance connector and didn't find one I was really impressed by either. But the old one was acting up, hooked up and didn't have brakes, had to bend the brake tab a bit, then it worked.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

We have reservations for Aluminina this fall and more to come, it's all a labor of insanity, bring it on!
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 04-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #32
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Then theres the problem of knowing which tool to use for what job....

Tools Explained...

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, denting the freshly-painted project which you had carefully set in the corner where nothing could get to it.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light . Also removes fingerprints and hard-earned calluses from fingers in about the time it takes you to say, 'Oh sh--!'

SKIL SAW: A portable cutting tool used to make studs too short.

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

BELT SANDER: An electric sanding tool commonly used to convert minor touch-up jobs into major refinishing jobs.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle... It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to completely round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub out of which you want to remove a bearing race.

TABLE SAW: A large stationary power tool commonly used to launch wood projectiles for testing wall integrity.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new brake shoes , trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

BAND SAW: A large stationary power saw primarily used by most shops to cut good aluminum sheet into smaller pieces that more easily fit into the trash can after you cut on the inside of the line instead of the outside edge.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the vacuum seals under lids or for opening old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splashing oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

STRAIGHT SCREWDRIVER: A tool for opening paint cans.. Sometimes used to convert common slotted screws into non-removable screws and butchering your palms.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50 cent part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to make hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts adjacent the object we are trying to hit.

UTILITY KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts. Especially useful for slicing work clothes, but only while in use.

SON-OF-A-BITCH TOOL: (A personal favorite!) Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling 'Son of a BITCH!' at the top of your lungs. It is also, most often, the next tool that you will need.

Bob
Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63

But funny...

And yes, I've done that before... I just made sure nobody was watching when I checked...
Absolutely funny! :-)

I've triple checked stuff because my brain plays tricks on me....are you SURE the battery switch is off....the pump is off....those vents were closed???? Oy!
Old 04-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post

...... my trailer has only once, swayed violently out of control; It was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake ......
My God Bob - you mean you have dared to travel without a "Seismic Stabilizer"? ..... very unsafe ..... you should be able to pick one up through Seismic Stabilizers - Star Trek Online Wiki

Great post.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay View Post
My God Bob - you mean you have dared to travel without a "Seismic Stabilizer"? ..... very unsafe ..... you should be able to pick one up through Seismic Stabilizers - Star Trek Online Wiki

Great post.

Thanks,

Jay
Or, you can simply upgrade to a full inertial dampener. Not only stabilizes Airstreams during earthquakes, but prevents organic matter from being turned to jelly during FTL travel when we take our Airstreams on vacations to neighboring star systems.
Old 04-28-2013, 08:11 AM   #36
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Or, you can simply upgrade to a full inertial dampener. Not only stabilizes Airstreams during earthquakes, but prevents organic matter from being turned to jelly during FTL travel when we take our Airstreams on vacations to neighboring star systems.
Terry,

Do the Inertial Dampers take the place of Centramatics too? That would be AWESOME!
Old 04-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Akron , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Terry,

Do the Inertial Dampers take the place of Centramatics too? That would be AWESOME!
This solves the problem of everything rattling and shifting in the fridge and cupboards too!
1991 Excella 29 foot w/ProPride 3P hitch
2006 Jeep Commander-V8 4.7L Tow package
aireseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
I have been thinking the exact same thoughts lately. Just could not put into words as well as Bob. See you on the road!
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:33 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
It still shines!

Hi, today the weather was close to perfect for an off schedule wash job. I usually only wash my trailer before a trip and/or after a trip. In between it only gets hosed off a few times. Today it got it's bath. Sad thing about washing my trailer is that you can more easily see the imperfections. My trailer has a little bit more corrosion, some fading, rock dings, and so on. But all of these imperfections/rock dings Etc. represent our travels and memories of our Alaska trip just to name one. Like I used to say about my 1959 Ford Galaxie: "At 100 yards, it looks like a show car." Well I can say the same about my trailer: "At 100 yards it looks like a brand new trailer." My wife and I enjoyed just sitting in it today before I had to back it up into it's waiting place, ready for our next trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00944crop.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	184574   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00939RS.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	258.5 KB
ID:	184575  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00941RS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	184576  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #40
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Full Timers just passing through , Arizona for a couple of weeks and then on to Utah!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I say this because of the many posts and threads where you need to do this and you need to buy this and oh my gosh, you didn't do/buy what? So I will list a few things here about my set-up. This may shock some of you.

(1.) My trailer has never been waxed.

(2.) My Lincoln and Safari have never been on the scales.

(3.) My trailer still runs on Goodyear Marathons.

(4.) I'm extremely happy with my original hitch. [Equal-i-zer]

(5.) My drum brakes work fine.

(6.) I have towed in 13 Western States and 3 Western Provinces. [many miles]

(7.) I refuse to tow at 47.153624 miles per hour to save fuel.

(8.) I have towed in zero degree weather and over 100 degree weather.

(9.) I have towed in wind, rain, snow, and on ice with two wheel drive and no tire chains.

(10.) In over eight years of owning the same tow vehicle, the same trailer, and the same hitch, my trailer has only once, swayed violently out of control; It was parked in my driveway during a 5.0 Earthquake.

So without going overboard with scientific calculations, Etc. Etc. Etc.

"Please enjoy your Airstream."
Thanks..I needed that. I too have towed many, many miles and many roads with about the same setup that you have. Sometimes we get wrapped up in all of the science and forget to enjoy the scenery!