Old 05-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
Welcome to the forum. We have a very beige '68, so if we stayed purist we would feel like we were in an institutional AS, or the beige may put us in the institution. The great thing about this forum is that people are sharing their differing journeys as they restore, or create a whole new look. Check out the recent Airstream Life, the southwestern trailer is far from keeping things beige.

Kathleen

1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminator
......I want to go ultra modern. I know most here are purists so I am worried now that I am out of the closet that I will be shunned from the airstream community.
"We want to go Ultra Nautical!

Welcome to the forum - as you will find out quick - when you acquire your new/old baby - it will be yours! not ours - so you go as far as your money will take you and along your journeys if you are tosing anything - just remember your new friends here

Too many forget that some here are looking to actually piece their finds together bit by bit - just so they are functional - others are your purist and have the patience of jobe - waiting for that perfect part they have been missing for years - but we all have one thing in common we are all clothed in the same sheet - sheets of aluminum that is

So only one word of caution - if you are going radical and will not be using the interior of what ever model you find - give it a bit of respect and remove it gently - put the pieces on the market and get yourself either a few bucks or some serious Karma for your A/S wears.

Good luck with your hunt.

We are doing a Nautical Hybrid to a 1961 Overlander {Ole' 61}- we also own a 1969 Globe Trotter {MoonBeam} that we have remained 93% pure - except (new waterheater, water pump, regulator and toilet - but the toilet is the same model just 35 years newer)

Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

in front of a computer near Vancouver BC , Canada's Wet Coast
stops coughing from the dust of the welcome waggon

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay
Go for it! I would prefer to see someone take a trailer, make it useful and use it than to see it wasting away in some field. Good luck to you in your adventure.
Finding the trailer is half the battle. There are 2,000,000 people in the area where I live and in the main paper where people list their stuff for sale I am lucky to find more than 2 Airstreams listed. I find most of them to be from the 70's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
"Please Allow me to Introduce Myself "
Aluminator, are you a man of wealth and taste? Do you have sympathy for the devil, or was that just a coincidence? Nick
I would like to think of myself a man of "wealth and taste", but my wife would disagree. She is seldom wrong (it has taken me 12 years to figure that out).
I typed it into the Title and then remembered the song (SFD) as I was typing the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I think you will find a great mix of folks here. Some like things original, some like modern and some really unique - ie Ralph Laurens trailers, SW styles, ultra modern, space themes etc. So enjoy your trailer and let us know what your doing.

In my case, I'm working on a 1958 which will be (what I think) a nice mix of old and new. I should end up with a cool vintage trailer with modern mechanics

Ken
http://about.polo.com/vintage/airstream/util.asp

I saw the Ralph Lauren trailers and liked the utility/surplus themed one. It has some really great ideas and I like the combination of wood and metal. I thought the flag looks really cool but thought the owner might have a hard time opening the end tables because the bed is in the way.

Are modern-retro or retro-modern types of design ?

I am not into the floral country prints of the interiors of the 80's so I am looking at laminates for the interior walls and countertops and pergo flooring.

I really like this forum - the community is really great and there is so much information here. I love the links to your sites and the before/after images of your Airstreams.

I will be keeping low for awhile lurking through the forums untill i find my dream.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:21 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Too many forget that some here are looking to actually piece their finds together bit by bit - just so they are functional - others are your purist and have the patience of jobe - waiting for that perfect part they have been missing for years - but we all have one thing in common we are all clothed in the same sheet - sheets of aluminum that is

So only one word of caution - if you are going radical and will not be using the interior of what ever model you find - give it a bit of respect and remove it gently - put the pieces on the market and get yourself either a few bucks or some serious Karma for your A/S wears.
ok I will certainly keep that in mind.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:26 PM   #19
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
What size trailer are you looking for? There is a 1980 20 footer for sale in Pasco WA. Be prepared to drive to find your dream.... we drove to So CAl for a look and then bought in Boise.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 01:31 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by aluminator
Finding the trailer is half the battle. There are 2,000,000 people in the area where I live and in the main paper where people list their stuff for sale I am lucky to find more than 2 Airstreams listed. I find most of them to be from the 70's.
Keep your eye on the Airstream.com Classifieds - they have a lot of 80's models also try RVonline.com they had a wack of them but I think most have been sold now but it does not hurt to look.

There was a cool one I think a Safari from the 60's in Salmon Arm - that is not too far from you - keeping in mind that people travel up to 3000 miles to get their "find".

Also get a collection of Airstream park sites and WBCCI unit sites - they sometimes list 80's models.

There is one for sale way over here in Ontario - they want around $18k CAN for it - too much - but you could probably work them down a bit - they have a suburban 1500 to go with it. They have now retired and do not use her anymore - we were at one time interested in the Burb - but he would not let them go separate - so we walked - then he changed his mind - but we had already had our eye on our 99 Yukon by then. I will try and find the picture I took - only outside - did have a quick look inside the trailer - windows double pane and need work - seals gone and have water inside - easy fix I hear.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Here is a photo of the 85 Limited, I think 34' I can get other details like phone number if you are interested.

Means a trip across Canada - but heck - that would be a pretty trip - you could do the US on the way back...
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2005, 01:43 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Looks interesting, however

As much as I would love to drive accross Canada I think this one is out of the question by several thousand km's.

I am really impressed by the amount of responses.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:47 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi again - could not resist - checked out RVonline.com and there are a few to look at - not telling though I will let you have the thrill of looking them up yourself.

You see you become obsessed - believe me - if you have the time like I did - you spend hours searching the internet - a lot quicker than driving all over the continent.

If there is one you find far away and want someone to have a look for you there is a service members from this forum provide - Check out this link

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ghlight=States
Old 05-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

thanks i love that site
Old 05-12-2005, 05:03 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

hoohoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
"Please Allow me to Introduce Myself "
Aluminator, are you a man of wealth and taste? Do you have sympathy for the devil, or was that just a coincidence? Nick
oh man, i've been thinking about that song a lot lately! down here at the "home for the bewildered" rv park in southern arizona, the doves have been singing the chorus to that song for months now...hoohoo
1997 E350
nettepdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettepdx
oh man, i've been thinking about that song a lot lately! down here at the "home for the bewildered" rv park in southern arizona, the doves have been singing the chorus to that song for months now...hoohoo
As long as they don't start singing the song I think you will be ok at "home of the bewildered".

At the RV classified site I found a 26' overlander at my hometown.
Not sure if i can get up there in the next few weeks.

I was talking to my mom and she knows the lady ( I did reverse look-up).
The climate is pretty dry but the winters get cold anc can get a fair amount of snow there.

http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.as...SearchMethod=3

I am more partial to the sovereign/excella front window layout.
Also, I prefer the bathrooms at the side not the rear.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Pleased to meet you...

Pleased to meet you...

...and welcome to the forums!

Good luck on your search and be shure that here are many helping minds, that will have an open ear for problems and questions.

Keep us posted on your progress in finding the right trailer and to the changes you have in mind.

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote