Old 09-19-2005, 05:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Summerkid,
Pick out what you need to live, then what you inherited, then have a really big yard sale!
I have been looking around this place and have decided to have a yard sale, also. I practice what I preach!!!!
We have accumulated sooooo much stuff the house is bulging at the seams. I go back to work in 2 weeks, and before then, I plan to get rid of nic naks, old clothes, and assorted junk.
See you at Fort Desota, I'll bring the wine.
Marie

Old 09-19-2005, 06:27 PM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
Summerkid,
I plan to get rid of nic naks, old clothes, and assorted junk.
Marie
Quick Terry...hide your stuff!!!!!

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 06:55 PM   #31
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Quick Terry...hide your stuff!!!!!

Aaron
Aaron, I think the "assorted junk" is me...And my stuff is already hidden.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:18 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs down Silverfish Ranchers

I used to have a friend who couldn't pass on bringing home all matters of junk etc. Most of it found on the curb, someone's garbage or left over building materials and lumber etc. Must have had 50 used light fixtures, buckets of bolts,screws,nails etc. 4000 record albums and enough wood to build Noah's ark.He had a fire pit in the back yard and occasionally he would just go out and start a big fire and burn up lots of the stuff he had accumulated. Said it was easier than seeing it tossed in a landfill. He would take some of the non burnables out when he fished and deep six the stuff. he swore it made him feel better. Sort of if Davy Jones was gonna store it in his "locker".
The old guy was a perfectionist for sure and that is why I never knew him to finish a project. But he was good at getting them started.
When he died his kids were embarrassed by it all, funny he was never embarrassed by them (the kids),..... I would have been.

I keep my parlor and dining room and kitchen and front bathroom pretty well organized. The den is so-so but comfortable. What goes on down the hall and in the garages is another story and really no one's business.

Yeah we all I guess have known a number of women slobs who keep everything they ever have owned, and you know not a solitary one of them could ever keep a man. Oh they all claim that they like it that way, but it's just a facade. They all lie about it and I don't think any of them are really happy.

Although I don't understand the clutter thing completely, I can overlook it if the packrat is not also unclean in their habits.Unfortunately often the two go together. Filth & clutter like bread & butter.

Flicka
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 AM   #33
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
How about this:

Put stuff in cardboard boxes, and mark them with a date.
If you have not needed anything out of the box after one full year, then throw it away, or give it away, but do not look inside the box when you do get rid of it.
Works like a charm, just not for me....
Old 09-20-2005, 02:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Yeah we all I guess have known a number of women slobs who keep everything they ever have owned, and you know not a solitary one of them could ever keep a man. Oh they all claim that they like it that way, but it's just a facade. They all lie about it and I don't think any of them are really happy.
Flicka
Well! Witchy woman & her ilk summed up in a nutshell, I suppose! Apparently, however, it would take much more than clutter to keep men from following me home. Although ... hmmm... I'll bet that if I really applied myself to the decluttering, I could find a couple more cute ones who just got lost in the shuffle ... now THAT'S worth a look!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:16 AM   #35
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You might be a redneck if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
Apparently, however, it would take much more than clutter to keep men from following me home. Although ... hmmm... I'll bet that if I really applied myself to the decluttering, I could find a couple more cute ones who just got lost in the shuffle ... now THAT'S worth a look!
You mow the lawn, and find a car...
I am not sure what you might be, if you mow the lawn, and find a car with a guy in it!
Old 09-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #36
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
There is nothing more liberating than knowing that most, if not all, of your stuff will fit into a small storage unit and a 22'. Absolutely thrilling.

My solution to disorganization and accumulation happened years ago - divorce.

My "now" wife thinks about accumulation as we go along. We make frequent trips to Goodwill, for instance, to reduce and reuse. eBay lets me pare down and convert "stuff" to cash. We recycle. We give things to friends and kids in the neighborhood (I've always liked computer junk - kids love it). I'm alot like you, Summerkid, but I've gotten a handle on it - if that's what you seek. Frankly, seems like you're happy just as you are!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Hi SummerKid;

Here is my worldy advice.......Banana Boxes....lots of them.

Organization is a state of mind of which it escapes most - if you have a life beyond lists, labels, and stress over "what am I going to do with all this stuff"......and so on.

You are not alone as you can see....

Must be the year of purging! and it relates to airstreams it seems always...

either downsize to travel in one;
downsize to live in one;
sell off stuff so you can afford to buy one;
make room so you can removed stuff out of one.

The latter being our point in case. We moved from a large house 5 years back and now we have 3 airstreams - 2 of which are about to be taken apart one of which will continue as an airstream and the other will start a new life transformed into whatever someone has in mind for a damaged shell and 8000# frame.

Step one scream
Step two - open door of one room/barn/attic etc at a time and haul everything out one bit at a time

3 piles garbage - useful stuff but not for you anymore - and keepers.

Hint on the useful stuff but not for you anymore - think of so many who could use them but could not afford to go to a store and buy new. Recycle - but don't through them away - take that pile to a consignemtn auction house - and make a few bucks to keep on the side (to buy those finds) Cause now you will have more room to bring them home.

Humans are natural horders/packrats/gatherers - but when cleanliness is sacrificed due to the amount of stuff - then it is time - to dust off the cobwebs - search out those mice nests and forge forward....

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:29 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Too Much 'stuff'!!

I am SOOO happy to find out I share the misery of 'TOO MUCH STUFF-ITIS' with my friends here on the forum. When Kacy and I married 20 years ago, we merged 2 households and moved to a bigger house. Then, when that filled up (and job opportunities required), we moved to a new city and picked a BIGGER house. Kacy's mom has passed away and now we are merging MORE stuff into our household.

Both of us are packrats. I collect tools and junk. She accumulates furniture and junk. Parting with the junk is hard. Parting with the tools is even harder. I may NEED that 14th screwdriver someday even though I have 13 other ones!!!!

I really was becoming overwhelmed until I read this thread. Many great ideas for tackling the mess. Since we are planning a retirement to the southeast with a LOT of Airstreaming included in that plan, I guess it's time to de-junk de stuff!!

Thanks for the inspiration, gang!!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 08:48 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
So ... who wants some stuff?
eBay!!!

Seriously, if you don't have an eBay account now's the time to get one (and a PayPal acct as well) and start selling some things.

Two weeks ago we sold $1200 worth of "stuff" on eBay, a personal record for one week. We routinely sell $200-500 worth of stuff every time I take the time to list things.

No, it's not a business and in the grand scheme of things I'm not "making money". I'm simply reducing clutter and getting back some of the money I've spent over the years and having a bit of fun while doing it.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 12:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Try this web link for organizing:

http://www.43folders.com/2005/09/falls_coming_cl.html
Old 09-20-2005, 12:27 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Similar to Uwe - I can't stand a bunch of junk around - so I have a rule - if I've not used it in a while, I pitch it. I've thrown away a lot of good stuff, so it keeps me from buying more.....

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 02:11 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
This HAS been great. So eBay works the OTHER way too? I'll have to figure that out.

And so far no one has weighed in with regrets about getting rid of, say, that dinner service for 24 (but it's so beautiful & so impressive at Thanksgiving & New Year's).

Yesterday, armed with forum courage, I whipped through the kitchen, bedroom, the 2nd bedroom I use as a massive closet, the bathroom, office & hallways. Granted, everything got thrown in cupboards, boxes or in the other rooms, but at least I can breathe in the key living spaces. That Man I Used to Date took me out for sushi & a few games of pool afterward, and when we got back to the house he was so thrilled with this unseen side of me that he wrote a check that will subsidize my unemployment for a few more months. So hey, eBay or not, my decluttering is already paying off!

Unfortunately, I have not unearthed one of my 3 cameras yet, so no before&after photos, but maybe soon!

Paula, that's a good idea about the collections. I think the Haitian art would be at the top because some of it deserves to be in a museum, the really old quilts that are irreplaceable would be next, and then probably my massive amount of Christmas stuff (I usually put up 2 real trees & 3 fake because the Waterford ornaments don't really show up on the real thing) ... and Christmas stuff is OK, I think, because it comes out once a year for a gloriously gorgeous month & then gets safely packed away in the crawl space where I don't give it another thought.

But after that, sitting here at the computer where nothing else is in my direct line of vision, I really can't think of anything else! That's kind of what you meant, right?