Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2005, 10:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

If you come to Mississippi, bring a rolltop. I need to add to all my stuff. Katrina helped me clean out the stuff that was in my carport. My hubby helps me get rid od things. He's organized and I am attention deficit. Great combination. Seriously, if you come to MS, you can park here and stay.
Dawn
early is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:44 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
does anybody have pix to post of their perfectly organized workshops/garages/kitchen cabinets????
YEAH RIGHT! Don't look to me for that picture If not for my dear wife I could find my tools, she puts them up thinking I am done with them, then I go to look for them where I KNOW I left them. I am right up there with you and John (pahaska) with organizational skills. It may help to have someone come in and take one room at a time an put things in order, or have one large Estate Sale then TRY not to buy anything else. I got downsized by my exwife about 7 years ago, best thing that ever happened as as far as stuff accumulation...she kept the stuff and I got the fresh start...I try not to accumulate things but they keep following me home from the dumpWe are in the process of de accumlating stuff again, We each have a 40' storage container if it doesn't fit in there it is gone! I have been giving away clothes that I have never worn, tools to my guys that I have not used in years, recyling old magazines, books have been donated to various places and that was hard, but I can only take so many books with me on the road. Ditto the bicycles and parts collection....

Aaron

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Downsizing - a work in process

I've downsized from a 3,150 sq ft, 5 bedroom, three bath PLUS attic and basement, to a 22 ft CCD, my office and a storage unit. And I'm selling stuff out of the storage unit.

I'm a natural collector and throwing away even useless stuff is hard for me, but when I cleaned out my house I threw away 22 pairs of shoes that were worn out and should have been tossed as they went bad. Did I find that painful? Actually, NO. Would I hate to be dead and have my sister and her kids have to go through all that crap? Oh Yes!

The thing that really propelled me to get busy downsizing was signing the contract on the house and realizing I had 45, 44, 43, 42.... days left before I had to move it or lose it.

I gave the local womans shelter 18 bags of really nice "banker suits" and dresses that I'll never wear again... and I threw away another 18 bags of badly worn stuff that wasn't worth giving to charity.

Groan! I threw away one beautiful piece of expensive velvet that I'd always planned to sew into something... but only because when I picked it up to pack it, it had dry rotted. I'd left it where the sun from the window got to it. I just hope you don't find an antique kimono in that shape.

Think Katrina... think about a fire. You'll WANT to save a photo album, your pets and your vital papers.. if you can find them in all your crap.

Here's what I did. Pick a room, get 4 large boxes of stuff you can keep and enjoy, get 4 more of stuff you can sell. Allow yourself ONE day to clear that room. Next day... repeat with another room. I had 13 rooms to do and left some stuff in the attic and basement!

Set limits on everything. If your house were on fire and only one of your collections could be saved, which one would you want? What would be your second, then third choices? Totally get rid of everything but the top three or four collections, and limit what you keep in the top four. Example: How many kimono can you display and enjoy? 5 to 12 at most. Sell the others. A a local museum or upscale boutique will display them where many can enjoy them. And what on earth will you do with tableware for 24? Keep what you can wash at one time.

(My office is still sh**.... I'm just hanging on to bad habits, but I tell you what... in support of your effort, I'll clean my credenza completely today before noon.

BTW - do I regret it? OH HELL NO! Gotta go... get breakfast and clean that credenza.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:57 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
sage advice

blow up your tv,
throw away your papers,
go to the country,
build you a home,
plant a little garden,
eat a lot of peaches,
try and find jesus, on your own.

oh, btw, would you be interested in purchasing my copy of the richard harris love album?

norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

you could make enough on ebay to buy a new airstream.it's really easy to get started. try it!
desi arnaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:11 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I would list everything on paper by category.
Each category on a different page.
Then start tearing out the pages and sell or give away ( whatever works for you) everything on the page except for one, randomly selected item. Use darts if you can't be random enough. Get rid of one page of stuff at a time...
Then you will have a nice remembrance of the former obsessive collecting and you can get on with other things.
Ebay would be great ,but could be a lot of work, although there are Ebay stores that would sell your stuff for you and take a percentage for doing it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 10:24 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
My tips for getting organized

SK -- I was just like you awhile back so I know what you are going through. Keep in mind that getting organized is a lifetime work in progress. I think it is the rare person indeed who can say they are 100% organized. And even if they were 100% organized, it takes a lot of diligence and work to maintain that state. So, first stop beating yourself up over this and second read my tips below and hopefully something in this thread will help you out. Good luck and let us know how you make out!
  1. Plan your day. Get out that pencil and paper, and begin developing a task matrix with a task name, how long it should take, and when it is due.
  2. Refine your list of tasks EVERY day. I actually update my task list at the end of each day. Then I'm prepared to hit the ground running the next morning. Even if I only complete one task that day, it is so satisfying to check that checkbox that the task is completed.
  3. Prioritize your list. Sometimes, you can't do everything in one day so assign A, B, C priorities to your tasks.
  4. Put technology to work for you. I use MS Outlook's task system to track my day-to-day tasks (personal and business) along with MS Project to track my larger projects. Using a software system facilitates moving tasks around, etc. And (my favorite part), you can always go back and see a history of what you have accomplished. This is so satisfying to me.
  5. Break a large task up into smaller components. Did you ever see that movie "What About Bob?"? One thing that has stuck with me from that movie is "baby steps". If you haven't seen the movie, it means to take small "baby steps" toward your goal. Each step will help build confidence and will move you closer to your goal.
  6. Learn to say "no". Taking too much on yourself can lead to exhaustion, poor performance, and burnout. Before you take on one more project, weigh whether or not you have the time and energy to take this on.
  7. Delegate your time with regards to the telephone and e-mail. Both the telephone and e-mail can be major distractions to the best laid plans in a day. If I'm in the middle of doing something (and am not expecting a call), I let the phone go to voicemail. With e-mail, turn off the automatic messaging that alerts you that you have received an email so you aren't distracted when a new e-mail arrives. Set aside certain times within a day to check your e-mail and voice mails.
  8. Plan your travel to save time. This is especially important now with the high gas prices. Keep of list of what errands you need to run so when you take your vehicle out, you can fit the errands into your route.
  9. Plan to work on the hardest tasks when your energy level is at its highest. Are you a morning person? If yes then tackle the most challenging tasks in the morning; vice versa for afternoon people.

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 03:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Hey Summerkid

Eye shore due in joy you're righting.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 04:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Summerkid,
Pick out what you need to live, then what you inherited, then have a really big yard sale!
I have been looking around this place and have decided to have a yard sale, also. I practice what I preach!!!!
We have accumulated sooooo much stuff the house is bulging at the seams. I go back to work in 2 weeks, and before then, I plan to get rid of nic naks, old clothes, and assorted junk.
See you at Fort Desota, I'll bring the wine.
Marie
Old 09-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd90mac
Summerkid,
I plan to get rid of nic naks, old clothes, and assorted junk.
Marie
Quick Terry...hide your stuff!!!!!

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2005, 05:55 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Quick Terry...hide your stuff!!!!!

Aaron
Aaron, I think the "assorted junk" is me...And my stuff is already hidden.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs down Silverfish Ranchers

I used to have a friend who couldn't pass on bringing home all matters of junk etc. Most of it found on the curb, someone's garbage or left over building materials and lumber etc. Must have had 50 used light fixtures, buckets of bolts,screws,nails etc. 4000 record albums and enough wood to build Noah's ark.He had a fire pit in the back yard and occasionally he would just go out and start a big fire and burn up lots of the stuff he had accumulated. Said it was easier than seeing it tossed in a landfill. He would take some of the non burnables out when he fished and deep six the stuff. he swore it made him feel better. Sort of if Davy Jones was gonna store it in his "locker".
The old guy was a perfectionist for sure and that is why I never knew him to finish a project. But he was good at getting them started.
When he died his kids were embarrassed by it all, funny he was never embarrassed by them (the kids),..... I would have been.

I keep my parlor and dining room and kitchen and front bathroom pretty well organized. The den is so-so but comfortable. What goes on down the hall and in the garages is another story and really no one's business.

Yeah we all I guess have known a number of women slobs who keep everything they ever have owned, and you know not a solitary one of them could ever keep a man. Oh they all claim that they like it that way, but it's just a facade. They all lie about it and I don't think any of them are really happy.

Although I don't understand the clutter thing completely, I can overlook it if the packrat is not also unclean in their habits.Unfortunately often the two go together. Filth & clutter like bread & butter.

Flicka
Hit'nMiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 01:11 AM   #33
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
How about this:

Put stuff in cardboard boxes, and mark them with a date.
If you have not needed anything out of the box after one full year, then throw it away, or give it away, but do not look inside the box when you do get rid of it.
Works like a charm, just not for me....
Old 09-20-2005, 01:30 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss
Yeah we all I guess have known a number of women slobs who keep everything they ever have owned, and you know not a solitary one of them could ever keep a man. Oh they all claim that they like it that way, but it's just a facade. They all lie about it and I don't think any of them are really happy.
Flicka
Well! Witchy woman & her ilk summed up in a nutshell, I suppose! Apparently, however, it would take much more than clutter to keep men from following me home. Although ... hmmm... I'll bet that if I really applied myself to the decluttering, I could find a couple more cute ones who just got lost in the shuffle ... now THAT'S worth a look!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 AM   #35
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You might be a redneck if...

Quote:
Apparently, however, it would take much more than clutter to keep men from following me home. Although ... hmmm... I'll bet that if I really applied myself to the decluttering, I could find a couple more cute ones who just got lost in the shuffle ... now THAT'S worth a look!
You mow the lawn, and find a car...
I am not sure what you might be, if you mow the lawn, and find a car with a guy in it!
Old 09-20-2005, 05:55 AM   #36
Rivet Master

There is nothing more liberating than knowing that most, if not all, of your stuff will fit into a small storage unit and a 22'. Absolutely thrilling.

My solution to disorganization and accumulation happened years ago - divorce.

My "now" wife thinks about accumulation as we go along. We make frequent trips to Goodwill, for instance, to reduce and reuse. eBay lets me pare down and convert "stuff" to cash. We recycle. We give things to friends and kids in the neighborhood (I've always liked computer junk - kids love it). I'm alot like you, Summerkid, but I've gotten a handle on it - if that's what you seek. Frankly, seems like you're happy just as you are!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi SummerKid;

Here is my worldy advice.......Banana Boxes....lots of them.

Organization is a state of mind of which it escapes most - if you have a life beyond lists, labels, and stress over "what am I going to do with all this stuff"......and so on.

You are not alone as you can see....

Must be the year of purging! and it relates to airstreams it seems always...

either downsize to travel in one;
downsize to live in one;
sell off stuff so you can afford to buy one;
make room so you can removed stuff out of one.

The latter being our point in case. We moved from a large house 5 years back and now we have 3 airstreams - 2 of which are about to be taken apart one of which will continue as an airstream and the other will start a new life transformed into whatever someone has in mind for a damaged shell and 8000# frame.

Step one scream
Step two - open door of one room/barn/attic etc at a time and haul everything out one bit at a time

3 piles garbage - useful stuff but not for you anymore - and keepers.

Hint on the useful stuff but not for you anymore - think of so many who could use them but could not afford to go to a store and buy new. Recycle - but don't through them away - take that pile to a consignemtn auction house - and make a few bucks to keep on the side (to buy those finds) Cause now you will have more room to bring them home.

Humans are natural horders/packrats/gatherers - but when cleanliness is sacrificed due to the amount of stuff - then it is time - to dust off the cobwebs - search out those mice nests and forge forward....

Good luck.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:29 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Too Much 'stuff'!!

I am SOOO happy to find out I share the misery of 'TOO MUCH STUFF-ITIS' with my friends here on the forum. When Kacy and I married 20 years ago, we merged 2 households and moved to a bigger house. Then, when that filled up (and job opportunities required), we moved to a new city and picked a BIGGER house. Kacy's mom has passed away and now we are merging MORE stuff into our household.

Both of us are packrats. I collect tools and junk. She accumulates furniture and junk. Parting with the junk is hard. Parting with the tools is even harder. I may NEED that 14th screwdriver someday even though I have 13 other ones!!!!

I really was becoming overwhelmed until I read this thread. Many great ideas for tackling the mess. Since we are planning a retirement to the southeast with a LOT of Airstreaming included in that plan, I guess it's time to de-junk de stuff!!

Thanks for the inspiration, gang!!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 07:48 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
So ... who wants some stuff?
eBay!!!

Seriously, if you don't have an eBay account now's the time to get one (and a PayPal acct as well) and start selling some things.

Two weeks ago we sold $1200 worth of "stuff" on eBay, a personal record for one week. We routinely sell $200-500 worth of stuff every time I take the time to list things.

No, it's not a business and in the grand scheme of things I'm not "making money". I'm simply reducing clutter and getting back some of the money I've spent over the years and having a bit of fun while doing it.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2005, 11:06 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Try this web link for organizing:

http://www.43folders.com/2005/09/falls_coming_cl.html
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote