Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The material in question was and is manufactured by Eastman Kodak. It is a very high impact or flexible material. There is actually a family of them made from cellulosic fibers. The plant used to be in West Virginia. The screw driver handles were made from "Butyrate" which contains butyric acid. In small doses this is what give butter its smell. The screwdriver handles were extruded and machined.

A related product was cellulose acetate which they original developed and used for photographic film. This material will degrade with time to form acetic acid. That is the smell you get from vinigar which is dilluted acetic acid. If you open old movie film canisters they may smell like vinigar and that is a sign the material is starting to degrade and will become brittle and no longer be able to go thru a projector. When they try to preserve olf movie film they store it a very low temperatures to slow down the chemical reaction

Another material in this family is Propinate. It also degrades to have an odor. These material were great in their time but are becoming more expensive now and product engineers are now specifying more stable materials.

dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:42 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member
2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Great backround dwightdi !

My box is an old military ammo can.

I put one of those little bars of soaps from a hotel in there, still in the wrapper and it cured the smell problem..... or changed it anyway !

My screwdriver handles are so impregnated with grease,oil, paint, you name it, that the mold can't take hold !

( hmmmm, sounds like an advertisng slogan ! )

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 08:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
thanks dwight, your answers seem to tell me why one of my cats loved to lick plastic!

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote