Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
planning for an escape

Sparked by the recent post by kingfisher24 (re: “running away from home”), I am wondering if anyone can share some wisdom on how to plan for an escape… I have been considering options to exit my corporate career and have been working towards other options for several years through education and work-experience. However, I’m now considering some alternatives that are more, ahem, creative. Reading between the lines = less financial profit. But, it also includes a simplified lifestyle. I am uncertain how to plan for this. I just don’t know how to project future needs. Anyone know of a good book, website, etc that might give me some ideas on how to plan an early exit? An acquaintance at AG Edwards offered his help – but it turned into something more about my portfolio…. My portfolio now has an Airstream on the cover!
Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
The Silver Schooner

2007 28' Safari SE
Dover , New Hampshire
You might want to check out www.rv-dreams.com. They did what you are considering and wrote about it in great detail.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We started by buying this campground. Quite a change from the academic lifestyle!

Lynn
Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
We plan to take a year off, but I don't think our "hiatus" will be permanent. We're going to sell the house (hoping the market rebounds a wee bit in a few years) and bank the equity. Our hiatus fund will be separate. We're making arrangements to store the furniture and household goods we plan to save. Everything else is getting downsized to family or friends. Our philosophy is the less you have, the less you need. Over the next two years we plan to finish the '67 Overlander renovation and conduct an extensive round of "shakedown cruises." We'll getting the tow vehicle squared away... a truck to replace the Titan and an aluminum utility body. Financially, the goal is to travel for at least a year. We may supplement our savings by working here or there. I could do some writing or consulting. My wife can substitute teach. I guess we're just looking at how to take a year or so of early retirement rather than "dropping out" entirely. I think there are any number of creative ways to earn money while "on the road." I guess it depends on your preferences and your OTR lifestyle.

I'm an incurable planner, but there are times in life where a leap of faith is required. Years ago, I moved east with all of my earthly belongings in a little utility trailer. I didn't have a job. I didn't have much money. I moved to have a chance to date the woman who became (and remains) my wife. Sometimes the best decisions are those that fly in the face of logic and reason.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
An interesting little book named, "First We Quit Our Jobs," (authors?), tells the story of a couple who, jaded by their New York lifestyle, sold out, bought an RV, headed to Alaska, and along the way there and back home, discovered some insights about themselves and their asperations as well as developed leads that led to a change in locale and new lifestyle. You might enjoy the read and gain some ideas as well. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
An excellent book is "Your Money or Your Life"
Attached Images

craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudentane View Post
You might want to check out www.rv-dreams.com. They did what you are considering and wrote about it in great detail.
Great site with soooo much info. I know I'll be reading through this- thank you!

Lynn - bought the campground. Now that's something I hadn't even thought of but..... I did look to see what's for sale in FL. More than I thought --- but also a HUGE investment. I'm having lunch with my realtor/mentor next week - he found a kennel w/living quarters (a prior interest of mine) and I'll have to mention campground. He'll probably crap his pants - can't wait to see his face.

Hampstead, "leap of faith" that's what I'm trying to convince myself of. Man, there's a lot of people (some who are quite dear to me) who are really concerned about this ... it will certainly leed to doom and failure

Thanks for the book ideas too - I'll check them out this weekend. Hope to have a latte and some browsing at Barnes & Noble.

If anyone else has some really out-of-the-box ideas for me - please!!! Campground, huh? That still has me intrigued......
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:14 PM   #8
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
_ _ _ _ Egg.

Do you see "Lost in America", rent it....
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #9
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Much the same way you plan for anything. It amazes me how little planning most people do. When that is the only thing that all successful people have, that all losers do not have - a goal and a plan for getting there.

It's easiest to start with the goal and work out the deal backwards. Where do you see yourself a year from now, 5 years, 10 years?

What steps do you have to complete to get there?

Map out a plan and follow it. It does not have to be worked out in perfect detail. No doubt your goals and ideas will change. With experience, we get better and smarter. So be ready to revise and improve your plan as you go along.

Losers have dreams. Winners have goals.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
...Lynn - bought the campground. Now that's something I hadn't even thought of but..... I did look to see what's for sale in FL. More than I thought --- but also a HUGE investment. I'm having lunch with my realtor/mentor next week - he found a kennel w/living quarters (a prior interest of mine) and I'll have to mention campground. He'll probably crap his pants - can't wait to see his face.
Yes, it is expensive! We were absolutely amazed at the prices for campgrounds in high-traffic (i.e., heavy tourist) areas, particularly in four-season areas. Campgrounds are actually pretty cheap outside of these areas, but, holy cow, prices went (and go) through the ceiling otherwise.

It's hardly what you'd call a high-income career. It'll pay the bills, and that's about it. Look at it this way: It's a real-estate business investment, and if managed properly, it should make a little money for you when you resell, and it will pay your bills in the meantime.

And it is scary: You have a nice job where somebody gives you money for your work at the end of the month. And you give up your comfortable job and spend every last penny you've got (and maybe then some) on a new adventure.

Lynn
Old 02-12-2009, 05:20 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Southport (Panama City) , Florida
Send a message via AIM to ibgl6
Does anybody need a poor old Security guard to watch over there campground hopefuly no snow and a sizeable pay check if so please contact me ASAP....

Air#15607 TAC FL-2

Good Sam (LifeTime Member)
ibgl6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
Losers have dreams. Winners have goals.
Wow... that's going to be a disappointment to Dr. Martin Luther King.

Well, Funkill, I'm not your mother or father... just a guy on the Internet, but I'll give you my take for what it's worth. I don't feel sorry for the person who goes on some romantic, foolish Quioxtic adventure and fails horribly. I feel sorry for the person who never goes. Even if everything goes wrong, the wheels fall off, the black water tank explodes and a water buffalo attacks your shiny aluminum coach... you'll be more alive doing damage control than the people sleepwalking from one cubicle day to another. When I headed east I had a couple of driving thoughts. One, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life thinking what might have been. Two, even if I crashed and burned, it was going to make a heckuva story, and at the end of the day... that's about all I expect to have: some great stories.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Have you thought of something like the Peace Corp or traveling around and building houses for Habiatat for Humanity. Then there is disaster relief with the American Red Cross. All these give you experience and might reveal hidden talents and intersts.I am currently working, teaching art to adult disabled. I started as a volunteer and through a grant I am getting paid just a little. A different perspective.....