Old 03-20-2010, 02:51 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Joliet , SW of Chicago
AZ state parks

Isn't that a sad state of affairs? I'm sure AZ is not the only state to suffer at the hands of fools. I live in IL; enough said.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Last visit to Picacho Peak

I decided to take one last hike up Picacho Peak on Sunday, before the weather heats up and the Park closes. I've lost count of the number of times I've been up the peak, both by way of the Sunset and Hunter trails, usually once a year, for many years.

There was about a ten minute wait in a line of cars to pay the entry fee, as this was probably the peak weekend for the the Spring wildflowers.

It was a nice cool clear day with a light breeze, a perfect Spring day for hiking. there were lot's of nice patches of poppies along the beginning of the Hunter Trail.

At the top there were the usual group of people, constantly changing as new arrivals replaced those heading back down the trail. they would stop to rest, snack and take pictures, I think their average age was less then half of mine

I stopped by the visitor center before leaving, the folks there seemed to be resigned to the park's closing on June 3. They told me that Arizona does not own the State Park's land, it's Federal BLM land, they didn't know if that might have any effect on the park's future.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
This is really sad to read about.

I've only been there vicariously through the postings of Terry and Greg (TBRich - azbambi-on-the-road-again). They bring AZ state parks to life through their descriptions. I had always hoped to have the time to travel and visit Picacho along with some of the other great AZ state parks.

Hope for the best. If its BLM land maybe their is another future in store for the land that preserves its public use.

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Eloy to the rescue!

It looks like the town of Eloy is going to ride to the rescue of Picacho Peak State Park, working on finding funding and volunteers to keep it open another year.

What's remarkable is that Eloy is a really depressed agricultural town, with a population of about 10,000, 75% Latino, per capita income of about $12,000. Eloy city workers are now on a 4 day work week.

TriValley Central > Eloy Enterprise > Top Stories > City to cut $20,000 check to keep Picacho state park open
Old 05-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Will it last?

This is excellent news. I just wish the special funds we already had for state park maintenance and highway rest areas weren't raided in the first place. It's sad that the state's priorities are so screwed up, but heartening to know that the local communities still "get it" and are stepping up all over Arizona to fix what the state legislators seem incapable of doing.

Other states are reporting record attendance at state parks (SD) (NC) (VA) (FL) (MO) and can clearly see the economic benefits of state parks, but some of Arizona's state legislators can only see an opportunity to raid a fund and cut a budget item. That short-sighted thinking isn't serving us well, and it's bad for everyone who travels, not just Arizona residents. How long will local communities like Eloy be able to sustain the "state" park system?

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 02:20 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
This IS good news! I hope it's a viable solution. At least it's a beginning.
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Latest word is that Pichacho Peak State Park, and four other Arizona State Parks will remain open beyond June 3, at least in the short term.

More parks saved from closing, 2 in Southern Arizona - KOLD News 13
Old 05-20-2010, 06:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just what we hoped would happen! ... Now let's all hope for a more long-termed solution! They could make Piacho Peak seasonal, shutting it down in the heat of summer and re-opening it in the fall...it's not as used in the summer because of the epic heat there. (They could do this with Lost Dutchman near Apache Junction as well...)
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Louisville , United States
Went through pilot training in Arizona, which began with a small airstrip at Eloy. Picacho Peak was a landmark while navigating the area, and Eloy has always been a tough, hang-in-there sort of a place. Here's to someone with a vision for what tourism can do for a community.

SSChanger is offline   Reply With Quote