Old 12-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM View Post
...snip...
I wonder, are we just recalcitrant children in this world that will not learn our lesson ever?
I don't care if it's overly pollyannaish, I wonder if people world-wide would actually learn from the past - wouldn't war cease to exist?

I'm grateful for the sacrifices out soldiers have made - I just hate that they were ever in that position to do so in the first place...

Old 12-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
My father was serving on board a cruiser that was undergoing repairs on the East coast on December 7. All hands turned to, and the repairs were completed in early January, 3 months ahead of schedule. They left for Pearl Harbor with a full load of bunker oil and ammo, but did not have time to fully provision the ship with food. Everyone, including the officers, ate beans and Spam for the duration of the voyage to Pearl, which even under "full military power" took on the order of three weeks. a couple of things he related about that trip:
1-40 mph is scarily fast on a ship like that, especially during storms.
2- You couldn't run fast enough to give my father a can of Spam afterward.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I don't care if it's overly pollyannaish, I wonder if people world-wide would actually learn from the past - wouldn't war cease to exist?

I'm grateful for the sacrifices out soldiers have made - I just hate that they were ever in that position to do so in the first place...
Steve,

Some of you may have seen this before in another post.

I found this note folded in the breast pocket of my Fathers dress uniform as I was getting it ready to take to the funeral home.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	946.2 KB
ID:	201404  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:30 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
One wonders just how much longer December 7th will remain "...a day that will live in infamy." It seems that, like so many things, the lessons of one generation are non-transferable to the generation twice or so removed. "Remember the Maine" or "The war to end all wars." I wonder, are we just recalcitrant children in this world that will not learn our lesson ever?
Sadly, the lessons aren't even transferable to the same generation. The gap between World War I and World War II was only 11 years, not even long enough for a new generation to grow up, and yet WW2 was even more horrific than WW1, the war to end all wars.

But there is hope that future generations will remember the wars of previous generations. Just ask any Texan about the Alamo. They all remember!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

I found this note folded in the breast pocket of my Fathers dress uniform as I was getting it ready to take to the funeral home.

Bob

See the quote in Marlborough: His Life and Times, Book Two, by Winston Churchill.

Thanks, Robert Cross, for starting this thread!

Bill, HM3, USN, 1971-1975, (Hospital Corpsman)
Old 12-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Steve,

Bob
Thank you for sharing that. How powerful.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
It seems that, like so many things, the lessons of one generation are non-transferable to the generation twice or so removed. "Remember the Maine" or "The war to end all wars." I wonder, are we just recalcitrant children in this world that will not learn our lesson ever?
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Poppy
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
All three of the fellows I called dad at one time or another served in WWII or Korea. Two served in the Pacific in WWII, both of whom lied about their ages to get in. While I have never been to Pearl Harbor, I did visit the American cemetery and Monument in Lorraine, France, after my return from Desert Storm. It is a beautiful, peaceful place. I wasn't the only one shedding tears that day.
I salute the American Servicemen and women, their families, and the home front workers of the greatest generation! The US is still coasting on the sacrifices they made so we could live better.

http://www.abmc.gov/cemeteries/cemeteries/lo.php
Old 12-07-2013, 10:41 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I was born before the war ended (April 1945) and never heard much at home about that period of time in terms of combat events. The family business converted to making 3" artillery shells, 75 MM canon brass and the same superchargers for the three Packard engines of the PT boats (John Kennedy skippered one - PT109 and McArthur escaped on one) that were used to set a world water speed record in Miss America X in the later 1930s.

I wore the Navy uniform from Sep 1965 to Sep 1971 and served both as enlisted and as a Naval LT on both a destroyer and a destroyer tender.

Hats off and a prayer to those that have gone before. We owe them more than we could ever repay.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:53 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . My wife's step-dad was at Hickam Field on Dec 7th, in Army Air Corps. Said he and a buddy commandeered a truck & picked up wounded all day & took them to hospital. He visited again at the 50th anniversary & reminisced with a Japanese pilot who took part. He said it was a very moving experience. I can only imagine, although I did leave friends in Viet Nam....peace to them all. Craig
Old 12-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Thank you for sharing that. How powerful.
Concur!

The vintage aviation society I belonged to was in the process of restoring part of a Lancaster bomber. Deep in the floor rubble of the nose section we found a bomb casing with an excerpt from "Swords to Ploughshares" etched into it:
"...and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

Needless to say, it was a very profound experience.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:42 PM   #26
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
For all who have "gone before us", we are all better for those who showed, and reminded us, what is important, how to live and how to focus our lives to bright points which are the stars of the heavens.

May God rest you in his tender mercies, till we meet again...to share life...

Thank you for giving me mine...to live in freedom.

The true soldier fights not for what is in front of him, but for what is behind him.

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote