Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
There is a lot of personal preference here, but I've enjoyed kayaking more than canoeing. The double bladed paddle used in kayaking seems less tiring to me, and if you use a rudder it makes it easy to stay on course. The seating position in the kayak is easier for me, but again a preference issue. Most of my water time is in the Rocky Mountains, and the lakes are windy - the kayak's low profile really makes a difference in these conditions.

And, I have a 2-piece sail for my Klepper (check out their web site). I'm no good at sailing, but I have a great time doing it!

Bob

Old 12-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipets
I spend a lot of time on the water in summer sailing so I have trouble looking at water and not being on it.

If I went to an area that had a lake or river, it woulld be nice to get out there and scout it out.

Which is easier to paddle, which may be easier on your back and curled up legs etc?
I use open sit-on top kayaks, there are pros and cons to those vs enclosed cockpit. That's another discussion.

For a single paddler, I much prefer a kayak. They are much more maneuverable, I like the independance of paddling at my own speed and direction, vs paddling a canoe with someone else. For these same reasons, I prefer single over tandom kayaks. Yes, a canoe can be paddled solo.

Kayaks do better in windy conditions. For example:
We had a group paddling canoes on the Colorado river when we encountered high winds. We began having difficulties, one canoe was blown over when the wind caught the bottom surface of the canoe as it crested a wind wave. As a result of the wind, the group was scattered. My son had the only kayak in the group. He was able to paddle against the wind, as well as crossways to it with little effort as he became our messenger to the different groups of paddlers. As a result, we were able to make a plan where we wouldn't have otherwise due to the dangerous conditions.

I'm not saying that I dislike canoes at all, I like both - they're just different.
Dave

Old 02-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #17
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Fly fishing from a Kayak

Wow, I didn't know these things existed until I stumbled across this thread. I have an old 17' fiberglass canoe I haul around the eastern states, and would love to replace it with a foldable. Love to fly fish from my canoe. When I am on a lake, and the wind picks up, I get blown all over. I have always wondered what fly fishing would be like in a kayak, since they seem to do better in the wind . Any you kayakers out there fly fish?
Old 02-11-2007, 12:19 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Hi
I often fly fish from my Klepper foldable kayak. I rigged up a loop towards the bow, and a velcro strap by the cockpit, so I can carry my flyrod in easy reach, but out of the way for paddling. Trout like to cruise the shore, especially in areas around an inlet, so you can quietly approach them from a direction they are not really looking at. One of my favorite ways to fly fish anymore.

One time I hooked a large Lake Trout - not sure how big because I didn't land it. For a few minutes I could have used someone else to paddle, since it was powerful enough to turn my boat. I wouldn't mind having that happen again.

I also like to paddle along the shore, and if I find a likely spot I beach the kayak and fish from the shore.

Good fishing...
Bob
Old 02-11-2007, 01:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I haven't flyfished in years, but one of my kayaks is set up with rod holders that I use on lakes or in the ocean. I use these holders for trolling, or simply to carry my fishing rod. This particular model of kayak is reportedly used by some fishermen to stand up on as they fish. I haven't tried it, and wouldn't unless I was willing to go swimming, however it has a wide beam and I don't doubt that you could stand on it.
Dave
Old 02-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #20
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I decided to get a canoe, found this one at great deal it's kevlar, 16'

It was 2600, reduced to 1500, they said last season was bad for them, it had been on display has a few gel coat scratches you can have it for 700, I couldn't get my credit card out fast enough.

I'm picking it up next week on my way to Sarasota.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canoe.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	32184  

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote