Old 02-03-2006, 09:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Ouch! Trees are evil

Trees are evil.
If they can they will fall on you.
It appears that they have excellent aim.
I saw this trailer on Ebay.

Post your best Evil tree pictures here.

It is off topic so it can be a tree that fell on anything.
But aluminum trailers are the prefered subject.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	av1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	18194   Click image for larger version

Name:	av2.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	18195  

RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 11:37 PM   #2
. , .
is it the trees or the wind?......mostly the combo......

hi richardt

i posted a few wind/tree/trailer pics in this thread.......

and the story of the storm.

have lots more of the storm....if you have the stomach.

this trailer escaped...but not the 'burb' and the prowler is in 1000 pieces...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trees 1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	18197  

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:55 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
spring , Texas
trees are evil indeed

I do not have any pictures but when I lived in Georgia, a "micro burst"(?) came through the trailer park I lived in, knocking down trees which hit both my Mustang's, totaling one, hit both of my campers, my shed, and both of my motorcycles, of which the the only thing that was insured was the 95 bike which only had a mirror knocked loose!!!!!!!!
72 tradewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #4
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I am not sure where I saw this one, but it is EVIL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	crushed.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	18199  

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
Looking for time
1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
Diabolical tree

I park my 71 safari under this tree-not! this tree scares me!--Its tried to get me more than once! I think I hear it scratching on my window-help m------
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1001527.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	18209  
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1974 25' Tradewind
Yelm , Washington
Open to new ideas ?

Unchopping a Tree

Start with the leaves, the small twigs, and the nests that have been shaken, ripped, or broken off by the fall; these must be gathered and attached once again to their respective places. It is not arduous work, unless major limbs have been smashed or mutilated. If the fall was carefully and correctly planned, the chances of anything of the kind happening will have been reduced. Again, much depends upon the size, age, shape, and species of the tree. Still, you will be lucky if you can get through this stages without having to use machinery. Even in the best of circumstances it is a labor that will make you wish often that you had won the favor of the universe of ants, the empire of mice, or at least a local tribe of squirrels, and could enlist their labors and their talents. But no, they leave you to it. They have learned, with time. This is men's work. It goes without saying that if the tree was hollow in whole or in part, and contained old nests of bird or mammal or insect, or hoards of nuts or such structures as wasps or bees build for their survival, the contents will have to repaired where necessary, and reassembled, insofar as possible, in their original order, including the shells of nuts already opened. With spider's webs you must simply do the best you can. We do not have the spider's weaving equipment, nor any substitute for the leaf's living bond with its point of attachment and nourishment. It is even harder to simulate the latter when the leaves have once become dry--as they are bound to do, for this is not the labor of a moment, Also it hardly needs saying that this the time fro repairing any neighboring trees or bushes or other growth that might have been damaged by the fall. The same rules apply. Where neighboring tree were of the same species it is difficult not to waste time conveying a detached leaf back to the wrong tree. Practice, practice. Put your hope in that.

Now the tackle must be put into place, or the scaffolding, depending on the surroundings and the dimension of the tree. It is ticklish work. Almost always it involves, in itself, further damage to the area, which will have to be corrected later. But, as you've heard, it can't be helped. And care now is likely to save you considerable trouble later. Be careful to grind nothing into the ground.

At last the time comes for the erecting of the trunk. By now it will scarcely be necessary to remind you of the delicacy of this huge skeleton. Every motion of the tackle, every slightly upward heave of the trunk, the branches, their elaborately reassembled panoply of leaves (now dead) will draw from you an involuntary gasp. You will watch for a lead or a twig to be snapped off yet again. You will listen for the nuts to shift in the hollow limb and you will hear whether they are indeed falling into place or are spilling in disorder -- in which case, or in the event of anything else of the kind -- operations will have to cease, of course, while you correct the matter. The raising itself is no small enterprise, from the moment when the chains tighten around the old bandages until the boles hands vertical above the stump, splinter above splinter. How the final straightening of the splinters themselves can take place (the preliminary work is best done while the wood is still green and soft, but at times when the splinters are not badly twisted most of the straightening is left until now, when the torn ends are face to face with each other). When the splinters are perfectly complementary the appropriate fixative is applied. Again we have no duplicate of the original substance. Ours is extremely strong, but it is rigid. It is limited to surfaces, and there is no play in it. However the core is not the part of the trunk that conducted life from the roots up to the branches and back again. It was relatively inert. The fixative for this part is not the same as the one for the outer layers and the bark, and if either of these is involved in the splintered sections they must receive applications of the appropriate adhesives. Apart from being incorrect and probably ineffective, the core fixative would leave a scar on the bark.

When all is ready the splintered trunk is lowered onto the splinters of the stump. This, one might say, is only the skeleton of the resurrection. Now the chips must be gathered, and the sawdust, and returned to their former positions. The fixative for the wood layers will be applied to chips and sawdust consisting only of wood. Chips and sawdust consisting of several substances will receive applications of the correct adhesives. It is as well, where possible, to shelter the materials from the elements while working. Weathering makes it harder to identify the smaller fragments. Bark sawdust in particular the earth lays claim to very quickly. You must find our own way of coping with this problems. There is a certain beauty, you will notice at moments, in the patterns of the chips as they are fitted back into place. You will wonder to what extent it should be described as natural, to what extent man-made. It will lead you on to speculations about the parentage of beauty itself, to which you will return.

The adhesive for the chips is translucent, and not so rigid as that for splinters. That for the bark and its subcutaneous layers if transparent and runs into the fibers on either side, partially dissolving them into each other. It does not set the sap flowing again but it does pay a kind of tribute to the preoccupations of the ancient thoroughfares. You could not roll an egg over the joints but some of the mine-shafts would still be passable, no doubt. For the first exploring insect who raises its head in the tight echoless passages. The day comes when it is all restored, even to the moss (now dead) over the wound. You will sleep badly, thinking of the removal of the scaffolding that must begin the next morning. How you will hope for sun and a still day!

The removal of the scaffolding or tackle is not a dangerous, perhaps, to the surroundings, as its installation, but it presents problems. It should be taken from the spot piece by piece as it is detached, and stored at a distance. You have come to accept it there, around the tree. The sky begins to look naked as the chains and struts one by one vacate their positions. Finally the moment arrives when the last sustaining piece is removed and the tree stands again on its own. It is as though its weight for a moment stood on your heart. You listen for a thud of settlement, a warning creak deep in the intricate joinery. You cannot believe it will hold. How like something dreamed it is, standing there all by itself. How long will it stand there now? The first breeze that touches its dead leaves all seems to flow into your mouth. You are afraid the motion of the clouds will be enough to push to over. What more can you do? What more can you do?

But there is nothing more you can do.

Others are waiting.

Everything is going to have to be put back.

--W. S. Merwin

"It takes a village to raise a silver twinkie."

-Jim Phillips
JimmyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Scarey pics Course I didn't find 'em until I moved my Argosy under a large shade tree yesterday ......Brian
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Originally Posted by jamesardis
I park my 71 safari under this tree-not! this tree scares me!--Its tried to get me more than once! I think I hear it scratching on my window-help m------
That is one nasty tree.
Randy and Pat Godfrey
Region 3 2nd VP, Newsletter Editor, Florida Unit
WBCCI# 7591 - AIR# 17017
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2006 Lincoln Mark LT - Hoke

A journey of a thousand miles, begins with a cash advance
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Trees are a double-edged sword. On one hand they give lots of cool shade so you don't roast, on the other hand, they can, and sometimes do, cause major damage and injury. I was crushed by a falling tree about 3 decades ago, and a really nice 1977 F150 of mine got smashed by one about 20 years ago.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master
1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Not all windfalls are beneficial, I guess. Sometimes you tempt fate by parking under a tree and through a quirk ( a quercus, if its an Oak tree)of that same fate a limb falls off. Sometimes the tree just falls over because it has a tenuous attachment to Mother Earth which, after all, may be the root of the problem. Anyway, I've tried to recycle as many trees as I could, mainly as heat and smoke, but there are still so MANY left!

Looking at the first pictures I'm reminded of one the more common lines from StarTrek "He's (it's) dead Jim. You get his tri-corder and I'll get his wallet." I wonder if you could just pump the exhaust from a vacuum cleaner into it, tape up all the openings and...?
"Not all who are laundering are washed" say Bill & Heidi

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 04:35 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Your original post said that you saw the pix on Ebay. Was the trailer for sale? If so, did it sell? If so, at what price?

Curious in Tryon (aka Sam)
AS: 2015 28" Flying Cloud
TV: 2013 Lincoln Navigator
WBCCI# 2720
ITowSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #12
Islay - 63 O.
1963 26' Overlander
Montreal , -
Send a message via MSN to dufferin
so painful to see those damaged trailers. I can't stand that...
Canadian Atlantic Unit Past President
Protect your dream from others and first yourself...

Few rolling wheels to make our planet a house.

A 1/5th of her that I own.

TAC# : QC-1

my blog
dufferin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #13
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Now I'm gonna have nightmares. Thought the forum was moderated to avoid this kinda thread.
Royce (K0RKK) 146.460 simplex
Web page
AIR# 3913
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Oh the humanity of it all!

2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote