Old 07-27-2006, 07:21 PM   #15
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Cool idea. Been to Oshkosh a few times and Sun-N-Fun several times. I love the workshops!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:46 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My trailer is in Oshkosh with my pilot sister right now. My brother-in-law is praying his generator runs the air conditioner. They camp out in the middle of a field with no electric. It's supposed to be REALLY hot! Maybe the aluminitus will rub off on them too!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:52 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I'd wanted to take mine there next year. Don't they have a campground in the woods with full hookups nearby? My buddy, who's been there several times (took his dad's Bonanza and slept under the wing in a tent) said they did. Is he wrong? Or did your sister stay at a different camping area?
Old 07-27-2006, 08:41 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
yes, it's right in the middle of the EAA field, but has trees and is quite secluded. I stayed there last year, name is Something Farms. They provide electrical and water--no drain. It's not a permanent RV park, they do it just for EAA, about 40 spots. You can walk into any of the EAA venues from there. I found them with a Google search.

Nice, but take your bug spray if you want to hang out in the woods.
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #19
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
I would love to go to Oshkosh again... Big problem. Work. As long as I am in this line of work I will be tied up July1- Sept 30. Fire season is heating up! We have too much work and not enough airplanes and pilots.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:15 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
My sister is staying in a field right by the airport. No electric or water hook-ups. They have some portable showers & water that you have to get in buckets. I think they supply a hose for filling your trailer when you come in. Not my idea of a good time, but I'm not into airplanes. I found out they couldn't fit a generator in their vehicle, so they're cooking in the tin can! It's supposed to be 95 degrees here in Chicago tomorrow. Hope they like to be well-done! I'd get my reservation in early for the Something Farms next year!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 06:55 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Why not actual OSH?

Has anyone considered just contacting Poberezny or someone at EAA HQ about using their facility in early June or Sept (when weather cooler..) rather than find another one? It sits there at the airport all year long, there are hotels, workshop buildings, etc etc. Wally wasn't an airplane guy, but the designer of the original clipper was, and he'd have been an EAA life member.. I'd bet a couple dozen of us are EAA members...

It would be minor hosting challenge to let some RV's onto site, and arrange for local instructors to be there. OSH is in upper midwest, and farther from most people than Nashville, but you could do EAA Museaum and other things. OSH gets busy in late June as EAA volunteers descend on field to arrange for stores, food, traffic and parking, etc, and set up fly-market and other facilities...

There is a KOA campground in woodsy setting 22 miles south of OSH airport in town of Fond Du Lac. We stayed there with many other EAA'ers and several Airstreamers to assure 30A hookups and A/C in '04.. The primary camp site at airport is Camp Scholler, and it is open field 1 mile by 1 1/2 miles, divided into "streets" and sections for generators, dogs, etc, but NO hookups for anyone there. The little campground along eastern flight line has some limited hookups, but not enough for A/C. Volunteers park in closer, but don't have full hookups either.. Happily, EAA arranges for large buildings scattered through camp with showers and bathrooms, to avoid stress on holding tanks...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote