Old 02-19-2004, 08:29 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
I started out as a HD person and have warmed up to Lowes over time. The two stores are 1/4 mile apart so I usually go to HD first. It is closer, and if they do not have what I am looking for I go to Lowes. You have to come to reality and realize that these stores are for mass marketing and due to their size the customer sometimes gets left out. Both of these stores are great for home projects, however if I am working on some other project our local Ace hardware is hard to beat. Their motto is " If Sunshine doesn't have it you don't need it" which sometimes leads me back to hd/Lowes to find it. Local hardware; local service a thing of the present.

actioncraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:55 PM   #30
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Shop smart

I noticed that Lowes seems to have a better price but it isn't always what it seems.
Looking for a concrete pad Lowes $2.19 ... HD $2.29 (don't remember the exact price but this is close).

Fine print Lowes = 16X16 block HD = 18X18 block making HD a lot less expensive.
Lowes has bigger isles and is generally cleaner and more expensive. But a lot depends on the store manager.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 09:17 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
my best jim neighbor....

Illegitimous noncarborundum(dont let the bastards wear you down)

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 12:23 AM   #32
1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia

I live in the dead centre of British Columbia (eight hour drive to anywhere), and last summer they finally built a Home Depot (and WalMart, Cdn Tire) a block from my house--I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

When I decided to install underground sprinklers, I went to HD and loaded up the cart with all the PVC fittings, etc., then went to the next aisle for the Schedule 40 pipe...hmmm. Lots of PEX, copper, ABS, even black iron pipe...but no PVC. I checked with the young fellow who showed me the PEX, and I politely said that I would check at the 'help' desk. They said, "hmmm" and got on the intercom (I thought to call the manager) and they called the young fellow I had just talked to--this was too funny. I suggested that they ask their manager to order PVC pipe, but seven months later the stock hasn't changed. Now I go back to the slightly more expensive Home Hardware (mom and pop) franchise two blocks further away.

I do like the fact that the HD lumber is stored indoors and that you can pick your own, whereas my local lumberyard is outdoor storage and they always 'hover' while I insist on picking. I guess HD is good for price competition, but I wouldn't want them to be the only game in town.

Gary H.
'77 31'
Prince George, BC (the snow is finally melting!!!)
4slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 07:55 AM   #33
1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Portola Hills , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe

I use both of them, but only for very common and simple stuff, like fertilizer, small electrical items, an occasional small tool or drill bit.
Also, it is difficult to say which is worse ( we really can't use the term "better")
because it depends sooooo much on the individual store. Eg the Home Depot at my house is useless, it's in a primarily residential neighborhood, upscale mood.
The Home Depot near my office, where the majority of real estate is commercial, works much better for me. Full of contractors, dirty, but a much better selection. They are 25 miles apart. I ordered blinds for my former office from them a few years back, which was a ridiculous experience, and they were not cheap.
I don't think generalizing works well in comparing the two chain stores, though.
I purchased an electric lawn mower and a water heater ( home) from Lowe's.
Both had problems, both times customer service was a nightmare.
I ended up online, explaining my experiences, and now they sent me a new electric lawnmower ( 18month later, mind you),and are replacing the water heater for a different model with better capacity for free.
Had I gone to my local plumbing shop, I had gotten a better price, and a much better quality water heater for my $695.00 I spent at Lowe's, installation included. Never mind the lawnmover, I hired a gardener for the lawnwork since then anyways.
Our powder room remodel revealed that a local high end plumbing fixture house had a better price and more colors on the exact same pedestal sink and faucet than Lowe's.
I am not excited about either of them, but they are both convenient for the quick stuff. I have come to believe that everything over a few hundred dollars, however, is worth shopping for in the smaller specialty places. Like lighting, plumbing, appliances etc.
I have found no equal to my local RV parts house, and InlandRV when it comes to Airstream parts, though.

uwe is offline   Reply With Quote