Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Opinions on carrying weapons...

We have just begun our adventures in RVing. We are experienced travelers, just not in an RV. I'd like some thoughts/opinions on carrying weapons during our travels. On a recent trip between Fl and Colorado, we saw/met alot of people begging at rest stops. They always seemed to approach from several different directions and seemed to work in pairs...kinda creepy. Thoughts please!?!?!?
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:12 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
Hi Andi,

I'm not the one to offer an opinion on carrying weapons, because I don't. But there is an active thread on this very topic - you might find some answers to your questions there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ack-59018.html

As for being approached at rest stops - we never stop at rest stops. I don't know if a large gas station/truck center is any safer, but I've never been approached by odd people begging at a gas station. The only time I've ever been approached was outside a convenience store one evening in North Carolina - she really scared the cr*p out of me, coming out of the shadows suddenly and asking for money because her husband was in Iraq... she probably was an addict looking for the next fix I suppose.

I was lucky that it wasn't a crazier person with a weapon themselves. But I don't think I'll ever carry a weapon - I now fully scope out all unfamiliar situations and try to be as aware as I can. And for me, that includes not stopping at rest stops.

Cheers!
Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Fairburn , Georgia
My take on carrying weapons (handguns) is do it if you are schooled in the use and safety of firearms, and are properly licensed to carry them. If you are not familiar with them, get the training before hand. Of course, it never hurts to have a handy baseball bat nearby.
JackMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:16 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
There are several threads here on this subject. Some better than others, of course. You might want to read thru each of them if you have the time. Gun laws vary from state to state and there's some pretty good advice in those threads describing how states, umm, "regulate" your second amendment rights. Jokes aside, it's a good idea to be familiar with the laws. Some states have extremely restrictive laws, other states are very lacks.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
If you carry a weapon you had better know how to use it. That means train, train, train. If not, you might end up on the wrong end of that gun or the wrong end of the law. You will not react well or quick enough if you don't practice. I don't just mean practice at a range but practice how you will react in situations. In that type of situation your fine motor skills go out the window and you will need to rely on gross motor skills. In law enforcement we train all of the time...at least monthly to be able to react efficiently and quickly. Really think this out. There might be better alternatives.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:42 AM   #6

Read This First

Safety & Security: Guns and RVs

This is perhaps the best advice one can read on carry weapons in RV's
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:04 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Ambassador
Kenton , Ohio
Excellent article.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
yes, carry. You may never need it but prior planning prevents...... well you know the rest
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
Marblehead , Hasslechusetts
Ya gotta ge careful on this. It has been noted in other posts in this thread that you have to know how to use a firearm and this requires extensive and ongoing training. There are a lot of legal issues here. Whether or not you can pack depends on several factors, most notably the state in which you wish to carry and your state of residence. When it comes to travel outside the USA You can pretty much forget it when it comes to Canada and probably Mexico too.

Here is a Web site that gives information on reciprocity:

Handgunlaw.us

Another Web site that has information on the gun laws in all 50 states:

NRA-ILA ::

Having posted this information I take no responsibility for its accuracy. I live in the state with the least restrictive gun laws in the land, Vermont. Residents are not required to have a permit to carry a concealed weapon. I personally do not see any need to carry a weapon and it is my choice not to do so even though I could if I wanted to.

MisterMike
mistermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I keep it no Secret I have a CHL and carry at all times. I think my CHL covers 26 states at the moment. Previous posters have some good info. Carrying a concealed weapon is a touchy subject and is not to be taken lightly.It does require training,12 hrs in my state,FBI and OBI background checks.This is a defensive measure only,when you fear for your life or the lives of your family or that of another. Please check the laws in all the states you intend on carrying in. Please GET LICENSED and train once a month.
Id rather have it and not need it than need it an not have it.
Be Safe
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
It's not really an RV-related or Airstream-related question. The pros and cons and hows and legalities are pretty much the same as they are when traveling via other means.

The legal climate in Florida and surrounding states extremely pro-carry although in Georgia the "public place" limitation on permit holders could be construed to apply in campgrounds or parks by an overzealous prosecuting attorney. I understand that there have been ongoing legislative efforts to fix this but no results yet.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Paradise , Texas
My preference is YES

Id rather have it and not need it than need it an not have it.

My whole family is trained on the correct use of firearms and my wife and I both have taken the CHL class.

I never travel without protection. Just make sure the states you go to are reciprocal to your license.
Catsalesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
Carry

My wife & I both have CCW's and we both carry when traveling.....mindful of Canadian and some state restrictions.....Tim

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #14
DnS
DnS

2008 30' Classic
Crosby , Texas
Key is to have something when you need it. Unless you strap a gun to your side, odds are it will be in the glove compartment when you are outside the truck kicking tires and getting robbed. I keep something stashed all around the rig. In the cab, back of truck, under hood, inside/outside trailer, etc. At least I know where something is close by.

2008 30' FB K Classic Limited (R-House)
2007 Dodge Diesel 2500
AIR #35797
DnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnS View Post
I keep something stashed all around the rig. In the cab, back of truck, under hood, inside/outside trailer
In Minnesota, and some other jurisdictions, there is a "negligent storage" statute on the books making it a felony to store a loaded in a location accessible to minors.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Out of respect

You might like this picture...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my next door nieghbor.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	95450  
76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkasten View Post
My wife & I both have CCW's and we both carry when traveling.....mindful of Canadian and some state restrictions.....Tim
I have a question? Is the CCW status good only for the state you are in?
Old 02-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

For me to know and others to.....
Old 02-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
Alternative deterrent if you don't like or have a gun

Alternative Deterrent: Almost everyone has a vehicle with a remote door lock that has a panic button that when pushed will honk the horn and flash the lights......

Whether at home or camping keep this remote control by your bed at night and if you feel or hear a threat simply press the panic button on your remote. The horn will honk and the lights will flash. You might even tell people near you at camp or your neighbors at home of your plan so they know it's not just an accident when and if your alarm does go off.

It's like having a FREE security system....
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
Alternative Deterrent: Almost everyone has a vehicle with a remote door lock that has a panic button that when pushed will honk the horn adn flash the lights......

Whether at home or camping keep this remote control by your bed at night and if you feel or hear a threat simply press the panic button on your remote.

It's like having a FREE security system....
Really? I don't, and I bet a lot of other people don't either.