Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #21
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76sovereign View Post
I have a question? Is the CCW status good only for the state you are in?
It's a patchwork due to the politics and the variations in what it takes to get a permit.

The Utah and Florida permits are widely recognized, and many people who are not residents of those states obtain them for that reason. There are instructors nationwide who offer training programs that comply with the requirements of these states, and the application can be made by mail.

But those permits are not universal. Illinois doesn't issue permits and doesn't recognize permits from anywhere else, for example. States where local law enforcement issues or denies permits based on their personal discretion (notably California but there are others) generally don't recognize out of state permits.

Florida doesn't recognize Utah's permits (go figure), and a Florida permit is only valid in South Carolina if Florida is your state of residence. New Hampshire will issue a permit on request if you have a valid permit from another state, but requires a $100 fee, an application, and 30 days lead time to do so; Maine is similar.

On the other hand there are a number of states that don't require a permit to carry in a car, and two that don't require a permit at all.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 01:52 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Quotes

1. "It is better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6."
2. "God made men. Sam Colt made them equal."

CCW's in most states are honored by other states. But, everybody doesn't recognize everybody.

If you're going to pack, you have to be a "gun boy" or "gun girl". This means that you are held to a higher standard than the average person. You better know what you're doing. No fluff, no bluff. It's serious business.

Many states won't recognize the CCW of another state, but it's perfectly legal to have your "hog leg" lying on the dash in plain sight when the cop walks up. NC used to be that way, for example.

A friend of mine was accosted at a VA rest stop. He did not have a weapon. It was a huge man that wanted to molest him, in the most carnal sense of the word.. Pretty twisted, actually. At any rate, he kicked the guy where it counts, ran to his car, and got away. If the big guy had had a knife, my friend might be gone. You have to judge for yourself...

Truly, the cops are good people and well intentioned. But, sadly, they are basically the mop up crew. They will not be there when you need them. So you either do something to protect yourself, or you avoid places where the bad guys might be.

It is a sad reflection upon our society that such vermin exist. I mean, really; you stop at a rest site to have lunch with your family and you're accosted by some weirdo. That is just wrong.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #23
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
My mother's aunt asked the same question after she was widowed. At the time she was living on a farm near a 4 lane hiway.

A police officer friend advised her that an intruder would most likely take a gun off her and use it on her. He told her to get a big dog.

So we went to the pound and got her a big German Shephard. A very friendly dog until a stranger came around.

The more she held him back on the leash the more he pulled, growled and barked. One day a stranger asked permission to get some water from her outside tap for his radiator. She held the dog as best she could, after a minute she said "you better hurry, the dog is trembling" the stranger said "lady what do you think I'm doing" LOL.

I will also say most women are handy with a butcher knife or carving knife. If you have a knife in your hand and obviously know how to use it, and a snarly dog in the other hand, I think most men will back off.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
The firearm debate will continue, with legitmate and valid arguments on all sides. However, I do believe that it is prudent to have something, and to me, it means "bear pepper spray".

At least if you make a mistake, someone does not die, but you still have some protection.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:27 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
Wow....thanks for all the opinions. My husband and I are "gun people" having carried in jobs and military, and continue to shoot regularly. I guess it's what you're comfortable with. I do have two large dogs, 95lbs and 75lbs...both can be a threat, but in all actuality, they would lick you to death, then sit in your lap...they are lab/border collie mix, are only reallllly threatening if you happen to be a squirrel or cat.
Thanks everyone...food for thought.
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
I have been a law enforcement officer for more than 30 years, local, federal, and state service. I now live, in the twilight of my public service career, in one of the nicest little communities in the United States, very rural, very friendly people. At my last staff meeting it was pointed out that we have had 9 shootings in 30 days, some sort of sad record for those of us trying to keep our citizens safe and secure. In any event, this thread has emphasized the importance of understanding the additional responsibilities that are attached to the issue of use of deadly force and the requirement for proficiency should anyone decide "to carry". Not a decision to be made without very serious thought.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:33 PM   #27
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
jdthor do you have any other advice for those of us who are not law enforcement professionals or gun nuts? Is there any alternative to strapping on a hog leg and a bulletproof vest 24/7?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #28
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Prayer, pilgrim.

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #29
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Prayer, yes; there's a whole theology of nonviolence that's worth exploring too.

More practically, it also helps considerably to pay attention to your surroundings and understand how violence develops. I find Marc MacYoung's web site to be highly entertaining and thought provoking. I also believe it is reasonably factual, for the most part.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
"jdthor do you have any other advice"...........

"Situational Awareness", an overused term in policing, actually has application for those of us trying to avoid violent confrontations. I preach this to my little citizen groups when I am asked to discuss personal safety. For example, I usually take a quick walk around the campground even before we start to settle in, this to determine any potential for problems later on. It doesn't bother me a bit to get back in the TV and move on if I am uncomfortable with what I find, or even later if nasty neighbors show up. And I do this despite the fact that I am legally armed to the teeth.

On the other hand, even with regular preparation and attentiveness, any of us may someday be faced with a dangerous or deadly encounter with another. That's where it is difficult to give advice, for now we would be talking about deadly force issues, and that is the part that takes serious and determined analysis. And even then the action you take could be unpredictable, at least it was in the few times I have had to go that far.

I realize this answer has wandered a bit, but in summary I would emphasize "avoidance" and "awareness". There is nothing wrong with moving on just because you "had a bad feeling" about where you are at the moment.

If you do decide to carry a lethal weapon you have an obligation to be proficient, to practice, to know what it will do, to know what your limits are, to understand the implications of taking the life of another.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #31
Kmpro

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Lubbock , Texas
My wife and I took the CHL course in Texas and after reading the pros and cons I am sure that we did the right thjing by taking the CHL course. And yes, we are packing. I firmly believe that you need the difference if things get out of control. Deadly force is a last resort. God forbid it should ever come to that. Know this. Our mindset and training is that if it comes down to my life or my wife's or the bad guy. I will take out the bad guy every time. My wife(a sweet loving, considerate woman) came to the same conclusion. Having an expensive trailer or motorhome sometime makes you an easy mark in the eyes of the predator. Likewise our age. Be forewarned and forearmed.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
1963 22' Safari
orlando , Florida
I have a concealed weapons permit,but mace might keep you out of court.
richie rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
I'd like to share my newly gained perspective on this subject...... one of those "damn I wish I'd figured this out sooner" stories. And, one not as disjoint from the freedom of Airstreaming as I used to think.

Yup, part of the peace and love generation, my wife and I grew up, and raised our kids without guns for all the "proper" reasons. I know now we were uneducated - that we'd let our minds be shaped by conventional "wisdom" and the barrage of Second Amendment mis-information peddled on TV. Well, I can now tell you: we were fools. We now are both well trained in hand gun use. It has been an amazingly positive experience - one I regret missing out on and not appreciating earlier in life..

This change started about a year ago when I began looking into getting a gun to bring up to our remote mountain property for protection. It has been a true eye-opener that has ended that nagging "victim" mentality but most importantly, one that brought us to actually understand the Second Amendment of the US Constitution. and the brilliance of its founders.

So here are my words of wisdom to take as you like:

1 - Regardless of whether or not you want to carry the gun or keep it in your RV, every American should be trained to use, and own a firearm. Taking a class is first step. It is fun and you'll likely be surprised at the really great people you'll meet. We attended a full day intorduction at Sig Sauer Academy (a great excuse to take out the Safari ), but the NRA Local Classes. are a great route. Many of these schools also offer basic self protection and "don't be a victim" classes. Train your spouse and you children!

2 - Toss out all you've heard from the "talking heads" and re-learn the Second Amendment, why the Founding Fathers knew it was essential to a truly free nation, and why it is the target of those who want to restrict your freedom. I honestly never understood why this was a fundamental right. What I learned turned upside down everything I'd believed about guns and gun control, and the groups claiming to "making us safer".

3 - Decide then if you want to carry the gun in your RV. The article mentioned above is a good one. Ammunition choice is important for self protection and the safety of others.

From here on, we don't intend to go anywhere in the Airstream without the 9mm pistol and the shotgun. Had I said that a year ago, I'd have called myself a crazy gun nut. Now I say it with a confident smile knowing what I should have known a long long time ago.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I took a basic handgun class for women this week. I felt at ease in the women-only class. I found the target practice to be enjoyable. I will be signing up for further training and get a CCW permit. I highly recommend to women that want to learn to take hands-on classes rather than learning from their partners.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
Gresham , Oregon
If not a gun, should I carry a 9 iron or a wedge? I have never been able to hit anything with either so perhaps it doesn't matter. At 66 years of age, the hands are unlikely to get any steadier so I'm afraid I would endanger others with a gun. jc
Lifeline AGM's
rustyrivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Enjoyed the humor, rustyrivet. Insofar as age is concerned, I was surprised to learn that at the age of 58, I was the second YOUNGEST (out of 20) students in my first concealed handgun class!
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
rusty rivet! NEVER GO TO A GUNFIGHT WITH A 9 IRON OR WEDGE!
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Canadian laws pretty much exclude bringing any firearm into Canada unless you can demonstrate you will be legally hunting, in which case hunting rifles and/or shotguns would be permitted across the border.

I have never heard of anyone legally bringing a handgun or assault rifle into Canada for "protection", but I have heard of people getting caught trying to smuggle them across. Not a good scene to be a part of. It will ruin your trip, be very expensive and may severely restrict your travel options in the future.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #39
rbr
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' Safari
Semora , North Carolina
To carry or not, that being the question, I really haven't even decided for myself. ( and I'm a certified gun enthusiast)
Pro: I probably will never need one, but I do plan to boondock some, and you never know.... certainly don't want to be stuck with a knife at a gunfight.

Con: Lots of ways to get in trouble with restrictive laws, ie. in state and national parks, transiting NYC, New Jersey, Mass., or D.C., or international borders. Something to worry about if burglarized.

If you do , definitely make sure you are THOROUGHLY proficient in the handling and use of your chosen arm, and get a concealed carry permit for your locality. These recoprocate across many jurisdictions, and even if not can serve to reassure a law officer of your law-abiding status. Research the local laws wherever you plan to go. Drive carefully and stay off the phone while doing so, the road is by far your greatest threat.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I would, but I have two small kids, so I don't. There is no point carrying one that isn't loaded and I won't have a loaded gun around my kids. Even though they know better than to touch it..

I carry the bear Pepper spray. if the kids do get a hold of it it won't kill them.. I might, but it won't..

This stuff will put down just about anyone man or beast and you don't have to be as particular with your air. (you can move it as you are dispensing it)

you would be surprised how easy it is to miss someone at 10-15 feet when in a panic situation with a gun. Time spent at the range can help here.

The Taurus Judge uses 410 shells which have a good pattern and will put someone down too, sometimes without killing them. But I was taught if you gonna shot someone then you better shot to kill.. I know it sounds bad, but thats the facts of life.

I always believe that when someone is taking your rights away then they no longer have any what so ever.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote