Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
online again...

Hi Folks,

yeeehaaa, we are online again... Just a little Tip from us... Never drop ypur Laptop Computer!! It will/might destroy your HDD. That is what happend to us. The hassle to reinstall the whole system is really a nightmare, but what bothers us the most is that all and really all datas are lost. 900mb of Airstream Pictures, Infos and all the other stuff are gone.
I know, why didn´t we made a security backup. Don´t ask!! We do that every single day since the "falling". I was on the way to a big computer store a few days after we dropped the Laptop to buy a big external HDD to do the backup as the system was already running instabil, when Stefanie called me on my mobile to tell me that there were some strange noise from the HDD and XP wasn´t starting...

So now we are clean... And a little more conserned about doing a backup...

Thanks for listening!!

Stefanie and Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think we've all been there in some form or another.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:13 AM   #3
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
For what it is worth....

There are data recovery companies that do work that borders on witchcraft. I havent had personal experience with them, but I have heard others talking about data being recovered from trashed drives. OH, and welcome back.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You can try this company, Kroll Ontrack.

I vouch for them. Expensive, but if they can't do it, no one can.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
At work we see this all the time. We provide a network drive that is backed up daily, but people like to store data on their C: drive. We have a few utilities that can recover data, but have limited success with them. We refer the people who's data we can not recover to Data Doctors (at their departments expense). Many have gotten quotes from them, no one has used them as of this date. It is very costly.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:18 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 22' International CCD
Phoenix , Arizona
Mucho dinero

We also lost our hard drive last spring and had not backed up data sufficiently since the first of the year. Specialty companies can almost always recover the data, but prices start at $2K Too much for me.

We now have a 2nd redundant drive and an external (remote) drive. Even so, they are all mechanical and will fail eventually ... but at least they should not fail at the same time.

Let our painful experience be a warning to others ... back it up!
Bandit #14576 (WDCU/AIR)

https://www.RWChatelain-Woodturner.com
BDandTTs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hummm. When my wife's HD crashed last fall, it wouldn't boot. however, I took the CD drive out of my computer and wired in her HD. (Same connectors.) By that means, I was able to access all of her data. Copied it all onto my machine and, once we got her a new setup, moved it all back to hers. Painful, and certainly not guaranteed to work in your case, but it might be worth a try.

Lynn
Old 02-24-2007, 01:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDandTTs
. Specialty companies can almost always recover the data, but prices start at $2K Too much for me.
I think that's a reasonable estimate. It's a lot cheaper to do backups.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
External USB harddrives are cheap today. At Newegg.com, they have a 500
GB, yes Gigabyte, external hard drive, Maxtor for US$194. Then get Sync Back to schedule your back ups, you can do incrementals, where it only adds the new stuff to the archive every time. Sync back has a free version. Cheap insurance.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
thoughts

I have some thoughts on this.

When you take digital pictures, make a CD backup of them once in a while. Just drop the folders onto the disc. Ask a friend to help you if you don't know how to do this. When I hear stories of what people miss when they've lost their homes in a flood or fire it is always "pictures". Every year I take that year's pictures and copy them to a DVD disc and store it at my parents' house. Just in case. At home I burn discs and also store them online at Webshots or any other number of online storage sites. Those sites can and do go out of business however so choose a good one.

I keep backups of our Quickbooks files for our business in a "briefcase" at Yahoo. It allows up to 50 MB of storage.

Make a disc of old files that you want to keep but don't use anymore, Word files, taxes, personal stuff, etc. and keep that somewhere else too.

The external hard drive thing is a very good idea too. To those who don't know how it works; you buy one and plug the cord into the side of your computer, and a new drive letter shows up under "My Computer". So easy.

I will be happy to help any Airstreamer with this kind of thing if they ever need it (I don't charge teachers or people who own silver trailers).

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
I would like to add to this thread. I am very familure with the loss of critical data - having a ship full of systems when I am at sea. CD's are cheap - and the cheapest ones work just as good as the more expensive ones. There is data archival software pre-installed on your PC - if you are using Windows. Just select files by date - say the last weeks worth and pop in a CD - anything modified or added in the dates selected will be copied on the CD. Write the date on it and save it as a backup. Get into a habit of doing this weekly and you can save yourself lots of problems. Once in a while do a whole month to cover gaps and you will be safe. You will still have to restore an operating system if there is a crash but the software we use to do this is called Ghost.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote