Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 05:29 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
On The Road Again -- Music Channel I

Continuing with good music for being On The Road Again from the 20-footer thread.

Destinations, trailers, motor homes, heartache, trucks, dawgs, ex's, sunsets, sunrises, you name it . . .

What music gets you in the mood to be OTRA?

Starting off with a great fast number -- check out this one at stamp 1:24 !

Old 11-06-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
How about this Texas Two-Step number from Dave Alvin? Catchy beat makes you want to get up and take a stroll on the dance floor?

Old 11-06-2015, 05:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
And of course, this live version from Willie Nelson of the theme song . . .

He also does a live version with The Highwaymen, but I can't find it just yet.

Classic.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
How about this tear-jerker from Tammy Wynette, which recently closed out the great film Hateship -- Loveship with Kristen Wiig falling in love . . . with several nice twists of plot?

Old 11-06-2015, 06:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lastly sitting on the porch with the poor boy blues from Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler to lead off this one with a good beat, followed by -- at time stamp 34:35 -- The Next Time I'm In Town:

Old 11-07-2015, 03:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A couple more thoughts on the songs posted so far --

1. Heads Carolina, Tails California
The best part of being on a long trailer trip in my mind is the freedom to pick a route or rest stop at any time whatsoever. This song embodies that spirit! Sometimes even at home when we are going down to the store for groceries, I get out a quarter, put this song on, and we flip the quarter -- ah, the freedom of choosing a new route every so often . . . even on the way to the grocery store.

2. Rio Grande
This song makes me want to get up and dance with the missus. Period. It played while we were out to dinner a couple of years ago, and we spontaneously got up and did a couple of small twirls next to our table, then sat down. The whole place clapped and laughed like crazy. Another Heads Carolina, Tails California moment!

In the 90's we stayed at a Motel 6 right next to the Rio Grande in El Paso during a winter trip across the South. The neighborhood was poor and mean -- chain link fences all over. We were hesitant to stay there and leave the trailer unattended in the parking lot. It all worked out OK. The Rio Grande is an amazing river -- check out the road atlas -- it is huge!

This area of Texas also reminds me of the mini-series Lonesome Dove, one of the best moves ever made IMO, and certainly a classic "road trip" if ever there was one! If you have never seen it, please get it and park yourself over a rainy weekend to watch this hologram of life IMO.

3. On The Road Again
When you hear this song start, don't your hands itch to grab the steering wheel and take off?

4. 'Til I Get It Right
"I'll keep on fallin' in love, 'til I get it right." Yup, been there done that . . . What a voice! And the movie Hateship - Loveship with Kristen Wiig was great.

OK, how about another fast number with a travel theme?
Old 11-07-2015, 03:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Van Morrison on The Bright Side of the Road!

This song closed out the film Michael about an angel with wings, with three newspaper people, and dog Sparky, on an oddball cross-country road trip to get a scoop on Michael. Great cast - Jean Stapleton, William Hurt, Andie McDowell, and John Travolta -- and hysterical scenes in various tourist attractions and restaurants on the way back to Chicago. Also a great love story, it turns out.

Another good dance tune IMO, with the film's closing scene showing an other-worldly kind of dance . . . (gotta see the movie!) . . .

Old 11-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #8
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bob
Old 11-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Bob for the excellent tunes!

Peter

PS for everyone -- instead of hitting the Play button in the middle of the YouTube window, if you hit the link at the top a new window will open with easier Full Screen etc. options available.

PS2 -- in case you missed it, check out the vintage Airstream in the first video at time stamp 1:23.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Meet Me In Montana -- a wistful number . . .

Old 11-10-2015, 11:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
OK, time to jump in. However I'm not sure how you all are inserting the you-tube screen (with the play button) and with the link at the top. I'm W7 and Firefox at home, but had the same result at work (W7 and IE). Seems I'm able to only insert the link.

Suggestions and guidance appreciated

So for the site, I have to say we have an album mindset, so my posts will be albums (OK...CD's) as opposed to solo (favorite songs). Maybe it's old school but we still prefer the whole album as it was recorded

We have two CD's that are always at the head of the (CD) pack (along with Neck & Neck). The first is simply a feel good album. This guy is having fun and is a great road tip playlist. At the iconic Keystone in Berkeley in the early 80's, I don't think they ever changed the marque...Jerry Garcia....Elvis Bishop

Sure feels good (and other great tunes)

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...AuF7kkns6m2ztl
Hope this works...had trouble finding the whole album

The second is a cover of Eagles songs. Some friends have commented...it's a county version...we'll, so what your point? Great covers.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...5HesZTMY5KcGy2

Hope you all enjoy

Bob

almost forgot the wine...@ 14:36
A CD that is a little bluesy at time but good bones.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:01 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Lots of great tunes, Bob, thanks!

Travis Tritt is fine indeed on Take It Easy IMO . . . a GREAT road song . . . a CLASSIC!

Alan Jackson's Tequila Sunrise . . . glassy tubes at Baja's San Miguel after a rough night at Hussongs!

Looks like you figured out YouTube for wine. Here is a live version from Monterrey in '67.

Thanks again for the fine tunes . . . !!!
Old 11-11-2015, 03:23 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Speaking of Alan Jackson, this one came out recently, and makes me think of the next trip we hope to take south into the Appalachians. There is a great thread here on the Smokey Mountain campgrounds which folks recommend.

Also on the 20-footer thread there is the recent Twilight Zone strangers-in-the-night close encounter! Phew . . . remarkable . . .

A nice mellow love song --

His Drive album has some good driving songs too!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Here's the song I mentioned recently about "finding one's way" in this "big ol' world" when one misses a certain train . . .

I have also always liked this quote from Steinbeck's Travels With Charley: In Search of America --

"A trip, a safari, an exploration, is an entity, different from all other journeys. It has personality, temperament, individuality, uniqueness. A journey is a person in itself; no two are alike. And all plans, safeguards, policing, and coercion are fruitless. We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; a trip takes us . . . "

This is the best part about being On The Road Again IMO -- the ever-changing unfolding of the plan we are meant to follow.

Glad things worked out near Asheville for the 20-footer folks!

Old 11-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I wrote this song on a road trip

So it's a road trip song for me. Some of it was recorded in my Argosy

https://youtu.be/b1QgHEC0dhA
Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Great songs everyone. I want to chime in just to subscribe.

Off the top of my head...
Nothing but the wheel
https://youtu.be/oO-59By1_Rg

Nevada California

https://youtu.be/PO761MGGTLg

Piggy Bank
Old 11-15-2015, 08:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave View Post
So it's a road trip song for me. Some of it was recorded in my Argosy
So cool, and a nice clean sound and production. Great harmonies by Sara. Love the bloopers at the end!

Thanks for posting this.

Peter

PS -- And thanks PIggy Bank!
Old 11-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Not exactly a road song, but the sun sinking and the moon rising sets an OTRA mood IMO. James Taylor and Shawn Colvin in a duet from Austin City Limits last night -- such a sweet version of this song (which can be a little schmaltzy with just James solo in my opinion). What harmonies!

Old 11-15-2015, 05:33 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Thank you so much Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
So cool, and a nice clean sound and production. Great harmonies by Sara. Love the bloopers at the end!

Thanks for posting this.

Peter
You might get a kick out of this one ( sorry I've posted this before )

https://youtu.be/ck93C8r9bNI

It's a spoof on a band we met when we worked on Saturday Night Live ( delivering 3 pigs for a skit). The music and vocals are Sara and I. I synced our music to the SNL video
Old 11-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Peter I ‘m not that familiar with Jo Dee but she sure has a great voice and worthy of exploration. Thanks for the Dave Alvin reminder… time to dust it off and to Robert for the Knophler/Harris link. We saw Emmy Lou a few years ago when she was touring with Steve Martin (Rare Bird). He was a home run and she put us to sleep. Just a reminder for me to change up the music rotation sometimes as I always liked All the Roadrunning CD. Nice Blue Ridge Alan Jackson link. I can’t wait to see that part of the USA, especially TC's great campground. Reminds me of subfan1's recent So Cal posts.

Interesting selection for the Electric Flag at Monterey Pop. That was my HS grad year and the Bay Area was experiencing a musical explosion among other things. Monterey Pop put many new sounds on the map that year.

{ Alan Jackson's Tequila Sunrise . . . glassy tubes at Baja's San Miguel after a rough night at Hussongs}

SM was my intro to Mescal and the worm. I’m glad I survived. Speaking of Baja.....try this...
Pretty Girls Don’t Cry, Two Hearts, South of the Border, Back on Your Side...tough to recommend a favorite.

In another direction try for your road tunes
@ 00:00 ~ I Don’t Know You
@ 5:45 ~ Portland Woman
@ 37:55 ~ Louisiana Lady

Great Steinbeck quote. Peter

Looks like I have some good tunes to explore.

Thanks everyone.
Bob
Closed Thread