Old 11-21-2016, 05:02 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Rivet. Always glad to help. You wouldn't believe the messages I got on Fiberglass RV giving reasons why I could not do what I was doing. LOL. Experience always beats an argument.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:00 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
[QUOTE=featherbedd Why does Ford build ALUMINUM pickups [for less weight] than fiberglass when F.G. is also lite in weight? QUOTE]

Because in mass production, it is cheaper to stamp out aluminum truck panels than to lay up fiberglass.

I also own, enjoy, and maintain an Airstream. 47,200 miles and 368 nights of use in 5 years. It has travelled far and wide over paved roads and rough tracks in all seasons and housed us in comfort. It is of unique design and construction, but I won't pretend that it makes best use of current technology. The deficiencies are well described throughout these forums. Regardless, we enjoy it for what it is. Oliver is building a product that is superior in many ways, but it won't appeal to everyone. Different tastes make a marketplace. As an engineer, I tend to evaluate products objectively. Objective evaluation of one product need not involve defense or criticism of another.

Safe Travels,
Joe

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #59
2 Rivet Member

CLT , NC
It's only two of us, so the Oliver Elite II twin bed model works fine and has plenty of room for us. Our Grand Kids camp with their parents in a 35' travel trailer. The wet shower is OK for us and the Ollie has very fine towing manners, too. We normally use a camper as a home base while visiting local sights at destinations, hiking, kayaking, bicycling, and taking photos.

Our previous camper was a 2000 pound all aluminum 2010 LivinLite CampLite 11 travel trailer with aluminum sheet interior/exterior walls, aluminum ceiling/roof, aluminum frame with aluminum tongue & groove plank floor. We really appreciated the rugged aluminum construction, if it developed a leak, was easy to fix and did not have to worry about water damage.

The reason we were looking at Airstream is the Aluminum construction and it's a beautiful camper. In the end the Oliver was just the right size for us and found a good deal on a used Ollie, too. Also like the Oliver fiberglass exterior/interior construction/finish, since we have owned three fiberglass boats. The couple we purchased the Ollie from built one fiberglass airplane and lived on a fiberglass sailboat for eight years. We have owned aluminum airplanes and plan to build one, too.

This thread is about a Oliver owner that backed into an immovable object punching a hole in the Ollie and how quickly Oliver made the repairs:

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topi...-this-happens/
Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"Oliver . . . but it won't appeal to everyone. Different tastes make a marketplace. As an engineer, I tend to evaluate products objectively. Objective evaluation of one product need not involve defense or criticism of another."

Maybe that's it. I tend to evaluate products as a poet and artist. If it's not a pleasant space, I don't want to be there. Yesterday as many times before, someone walked up and said what a beautiful Airstream we have. That's value to me. It makes us happy.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 02:17 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Understand completely. That's why I accommodate the shortcomings. Even an engineer needs to feel special😉
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Signal Mountain , Tennessee
If AS wanted they could take a mold plug off their trailers, and make them of fiberglass. The plug would even show laps and rivets. Paint it silver, and it would be hard to tell the difference.

It looks like Oliver is painting their trailers. This is just from looking at the photos from their shop floor. If so, the paint helps protect the fiberglass.
TN, Greenest State in the Land of the Free
" America is not a place;it's a road." Mark Twain
Tn Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Gulf Breeze , Florida
No paint on Oliver. Just beautiful Fiberglass work.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Traveler View Post
It looks like Oliver is painting their trailers. This is just from looking at the photos from their shop floor. If so, the paint helps protect the fiberglass.
There's no paint on an Oliver.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Oliver uses gel coat as the base layer in the moulding process with vinyl graphics.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote