Old 11-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
Yes, I think so, but how large do you think they will go? I though it was more towards the Basecamp or possibly the Sport models.

Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 09:50 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
There is 1 problem with fiber glass as ages gets brittle, crazes, fades, cracks, unless Oliver has solved these problems, also aluminum will dent before puncture but fiber glass will hole easily. Oliver is making strides in rv industry, as it's needed. Bill

featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:02 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
How does carbon fiber hold up over time? I'm imagining my 27FB with its aluminum interior (which I love) shrouded on the outside by carbon fiber skins - molded in top and bottom halves (like the Oliver).

Thoughts?

The Oliver does look great but a little too tiny inside and lacking enough windows to overcome that feeling for me. Some might live that tight cocoon feeling so whatever works for you is great! Just go camping! 😂
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
I have a Cannondale mountain bike with an aluminum, carbon fiber wrapped swing arm. It's 20+ years old, has thousands of abusive miles on it and still looks new.
I think carbon fiber would out last them all.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2008 22' Sport
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Although fire is a problem in any camper...fiberglass is real fuel in a fire. The problem with carbon fiber is repair can be troublesome since it needs a large oven besides the lay-up issues.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:07 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
There is 1 problem with fiber glass as ages gets brittle, crazes, fades, cracks, unless Oliver has solved these problems, also aluminum will dent before puncture but fiber glass will hole easily. Oliver is making strides in rv industry, as it's needed. Bill

I beg to differ, having owned fiberglass fishing boats, sailing yachts and travel trailers. Fiberglass is far more durable and easier to repair than thin sheet riveted aluminum. Periodic waxing will keep fiberglass beautiful for decades. Easily holed? The number of boats afloat that have banged into docks, pilings, rocks and each other belies that assertion.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 04:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I also have had a few fiberglass boats, always used fenders when docked, several times have gouged keels and bottoms on rocks always had to wade in instead of running on shore. My exp. of boating only rivers or nuke cooling ponds with rip rap on edges. I now have aluminum boats for this reason. I also had fiberglass pu camper and all things I stated in prev. post happened to it. I'm not careless as my AS is exc. cond. at 39 yrs old. My neighbor just pur. large fiberglass cruiser had many of things I stated before. My racing motor cycles with fiberglass gas tanks and seat pans did not last long but al. gas tanks life of bike, and when crashed dented but not holed like glass. So in 66 yrs. exp. I prefer aluminum over fiberglass. Final thought why does Ford build ALUMINUM pickups [for less weight] than fiberglass when F.G. is also lite in weight? Some Large trucks use fiberglass for hoods and fenders and many are damaged. We had fiberglass full rear fenders on road semis and were full of gouges needing constant repair to be nice looking. P.S. all road trucks also show type besides working. Off rd. trks only used Al fenders as glass bad news. Also have exp. with other items made of fiber glass to numerous to mention plus problems.
Old 11-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
As far as boat hull repair I would rather work on a wooden hull over glass any day. Does that mean I think wooden trailers are better? No way, happy to stay with aluminum.
* I do have plans for a wooden tear drop trailer that I would like to build one of these days.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:12 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I also have had a few fiberglass boats, always used fenders when docked, several times have gouged keels and bottoms on rocks always had to wade in instead of running on shore. My exp. of boating only rivers or nuke cooling ponds with rip rap on edges. I now have aluminum boats for this reason. I also had fiberglass pu camper and all things I stated in prev. post happened to it. I'm not careless as my AS is exc. cond. at 39 yrs old. My neighbor just pur. large fiberglass cruiser had many of things I stated before. My racing motor cycles with fiberglass gas tanks and seat pans did not last long but al. gas tanks life of bike, and when crashed dented but not holed like glass. So in 66 yrs. exp. I prefer aluminum over fiberglass. Final thought why does Ford build ALUMINUM pickups [for less weight] than fiberglass when F.G. is also lite in weight? Some Large trucks use fiberglass for hoods and fenders and many are damaged. We had fiberglass full rear fenders on road semis and were full of gouges needing constant repair to be nice looking. P.S. all road trucks also show type besides working. Off rd. trks only used Al fenders as glass bad news. Also have exp. with other items made of fiber glass to numerous to mention plus problems.
Addendum all of our road semis were Peterbuilt 379 long hood models, They are all Aluminum cabs hoods fenders, no fiberglass.
Old 11-20-2016, 05:35 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Aluminum Airstreams go back over 80 years and many are still, or put back into service. There's reasons for that, and they are worth fixing when they need it. Same with Avion and others.

Ford didn't choose fiberglass for it's new trucks, they chose aluminum. There's reasons for that as well.

Copying the shape an icon doesn't make it an icon. It's just a copy. It's interesting that when Airstream added a new fiberglass trailer to it's lineup, it did not copy the iconic shape. I'm good with that.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Bigfoot 25RQ

Bigfoot makes a very nice fibreglass low maintenance 25 foot trailer that is highly sought after!

Check out Bigfoot 25B25FB and Bigfoot 25B25RQ (front/rear bed).
Length 25'6", Ht. 9'2" (w/o AC), Width 8'4", Headroom 6'4".
45 Gal Fresh & Grey & Black. 6 cu ft. Frig. Base about $45,000, maybe $55,000 decked out new.

Bigfoot !! http://www.bigfootrv.com/
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:35 AM   #54
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
I plan to install the same EZ Start device on my Briskair 15000 BTU in the Airstream. It is so nice to run the air while taking a lunch break at a rest stop.WITH 500 watts of solar the recovery time for the batteries will be faster.
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:15 AM   #55
2 Rivet Member

CLT , NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
I plan to install the same EZ Start device on my Briskair 15000 BTU in the Airstream. It is so nice to run the air while taking a lunch break at a rest stop.WITH 500 watts of solar the recovery time for the batteries will be faster.
Folks here may have already done this modification. Here's Trumpetguy's thread about operating a 13.5K AC with batteries on the Oliver forum. Trumpetguy, hope you don't mind me posting this!

http://olivertraveltrailers.com/topi...-on-batteries/
Old 11-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

Colfax , California
We sold a 27 foot Class C with a full intent to buy an Airstream at around 5,000lbs tow weight.

We quickly honed in on a FC23FB. Unfortunately, the 2 hours we spent at the AS dealer left us with the impression that we needed to move on. Getting into the front bed was a head banger for the frontmost sleeper. The fridge door was so close to the dinette seat back across the way that it impeded the fridge from opening 90 degrees which, in turn, made it impossible to open the freezer door. There was no inverter plug for a coffee pot unless you were content to stick the coffee pot on the dinette table or run an extension cord across the coach to the galley counter.

At $70K or so, most of these (and there were others) design issues should have been addressed (at little to no cost to Airstream). So, we put our search on hold since we were not interested in the rather large gap in build quality that comes with the vast majority of similar sized trailers.

Having owned 2 fiberglass sail boats in the past, I was intrigued to stumble upon the Olivers. We researched them to some degree and got factory referrals to visit 2 owners who lived within 100 miles.

While we were very impressed with the quality of construction, we were turned off by the interaction we had with the Oliver rep who was assigned to us. The discussions began to sound as though she was doing us a favor to talk to us. As for the trailer it self, we spent time in two 23s and came away both impressed and not as excited as we thought we might have been.

The Oliver felt cramped. The windows were few and far between. Movement in the coach was limited to narrow walkways (similar to the FC). Cost went quickly from $48,000 to >$60,000 when equipped with options and considering the base price increase that was announced shortly after we started looking at Olivers.

Long story short, we took a hard look at our needs as opposed to wants and decided that the best option for our camping interests was the newly released Basecamp. We have one on order.

Bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote