Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2004, 02:02 AM   #1
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
Old Time Radio

Just Sharing with you all..

I was surfing the internet for some information on the radio industry for a friend of mine who has a show in Philly, & I found a website all about old radio shows.

It brought back wonderful memories of my mother singing these war-time songs around our house, and those I used to sing to the military on various bases when I was with U.S.O when I was a teenager. There's even shows like "The Shadow" & "The Whistler", which caused me to have nightmares as a child...mostly because my brother always whistled the same tune after our lights were out.

You can listen to great comedy like Abbott and Costello and Red Skelton. & even some shows that say "Stay Tuned For The NEXT episode!".
This is old-time radio from the 30s, 40s, and 50s at it's best. And they're all free and fun to listen to.

just click here> http://www.radiolovers.com/
Old 10-25-2004, 02:27 AM   #2
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Great link , Thanks
(I'm listening to the 1950's Bob Hope show, I luv those old commercials too)

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Incredible original sound ; try the " big band " radio and you're projected in the past, with glen Miller or Louis Armstrong.
Dommage, I can't listen them in the trailer; Most of today FM radios can't give you this kind of program...

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Craftsman

Excellent! It's great that these old tapes have survived. I remember listening to some of this as a kid.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #5
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Bruno,

You can download hundreds of hours of live American radio programs on any mp3 player & listen in your truck or trailer thru the radio (with an adaptor)

Ron
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Save into iTunes and the iPod

Works fine. Easy to save and shows up right in iTunes ready to play over and over. Syncs into the iPod and plays through the auxiliary jack into the radio on the Nissan Titan. Since it is my wife's iPod maybe it is time I got my own.

Thanks for the tip. Takes me back to the early 50s when radio was king and I listened to it all night long. The first thing I downloaded was Abbot and Costello's "Who's on First".
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Was just watching a rerum of Rainman on TV (no Cards tonight). . .and of course there was Dustin Hoffman chanting "Who's on First". . .not old time radio, but Classic film on TV! Thanks for the radio link.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:00 PM   #8

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
What a great site! This is all well before our time, but we still love this kind of stuff. While we were travelling this summer we caught an old Roy Rodgers show on the Kansas farm report station and got such a kick out of listening to it, I'd love to have more of these to keep on the ipod for listening to while travelling, especially the old sci-fi! I wish we had a faster than dial-up connection to grab them with though - they are huge!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 07:11 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

If you have a cd burner you can download these programs that are in MP3 format. With freeware or recording software you can convert and record these MP3's in a WAV file which is the standard audio format. These cd's will play in any cd player. I have downloaded the entire Radiolovers site. I also have 3 or 4 thousand more that I have downloaded from other sites. I record and listen to them while traveling.

Also, some of the newer cd players will play MP3's. As you can get about 100 one-half hour programs on one disk, versus about 3 on a standard WAV cd, this is the way to go.

Bruce
wallybyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 AM   #10
Cat
4 Rivet Member

Mukilteo , Washington
Send a message via Yahoo to Cat
I had NO idea when I posted this that it would bring so much joy to so many. Good on you all... I'm pleased just knowing this.
But, I'd love it if someone would tell me what an iPod is... I have the MP3 I think...so, I'd also like to have someone tell me that. I think there's a few others here that need this information too. Like with the MP3 (what does that stand for?), can you 'burn' something to a disk..? and should it be to a CD+RW, or a CD-RW, or a CD-R ?

your turn to help me enjoy
Old 10-28-2004, 05:51 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
iPod

Cat,

iPod is a miniature white color MP3 player by Apple Computer. Apple has an iTunes web site where you can download music at 99 cents per or you can load your own CDs into an iTunes application (both Mac and PC) and then onto the iPod. Also this radio web site seamlessly downloads into an iTunes application playlist. The iPod is the most ubiquitous of the MP3 players on the market. Hewlett Packard co-markets one and they have a co-branded red and black version with U2. They now also have the iPod iPhoto 40 and 60 gigabyte models with color screens that will store your digital photos and music. That is the one I plan to get. You can buy iPods just about everywhere--online, Best Buy and my favorite store, Target.

I load audio book CDs we get from the public library for my wife. After I load them I just eliminate them from iTunes and on the next update from computer to iPod they eliminate from the iPod. It is more convenient than carrying a case of 6-12 CDs.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote