Old 11-13-2010, 10:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
What about the "51st state". There are 33 million of up here you know.
P.S. how do you get the map avitar. I don't see it on the choices.
Wasa,

I have traveled Ontario a bit back when I lived in MI. Your Provincial Parks are wonderful! I'm afraid AK, and the parts of CA that I really want to experience will have to wait till retirement. I just can't get the time off to do it right.

HI,....I was thinking, with the shape of the AS and all the sealing I have done....maybe I could flip it over, hang an outboard motor out the back window, and "anchors aweigh!" Whatch think?

Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our state stickers say that Hawaii is put there because it's a state, but not that you can actually take your RV there. "However if you do drive to Hawaii, rest assured that our stickers are salt water proof and will stay on". Someone there has a sense of humor, anyway. I suppose we could substitute Ontario for Hawaii....
WC, Chris says this is the link to the map avatar. Canada is there too, but it's not part of the US map. If it were, we could already add Ontario to our map.
Visited States Map by epgSoft

Kay

Old 11-13-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari64 View Post
Need AK, wait till spring then drive on up..Hawaii...Hmmm.
Hawaii is easy. Wait until the middle of Winter, book a flight to Hawaii for 2 weeks and bring a small part of your Airstream with you in your luggage - nobody said the WHOLE trailer had to be there, or that you had to sleep IN it!

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This is a complex ethical question.

Does it have to do with you? if you travel with someone, do both of you have to go to the state or province or territory or estado? Is it about the trailer or you or all the trailers or travel companions or tow or non-tow vehicles? What if you flew or took the train? If it's about the trailer, wouldn't you have to start with Ohio (or California for some vintage trailers) and all the states the trailer went through to get to you? Or maybe it's about the trailer and you.

I think to make sure no one is misinformed, you must post a warning label explaining just what you mean.

To make sure you are honest, you must have official, notarized statements from each state or province or territory or estate that you have actually been there, kept in files available during normal business hours. All print must be oversized for old, weak eyes, and a statement whether there are any cancer causing agents in the map must be supplied. An essay between 800 and 1,000 words explaining your choices must accompany the map.

Next time we'll explore the question—can you wear a T-shirt or baseball cap from a place you've never been?

I wouldn't want to stick one of those maps to our trailer although we could put it in a window. We'd need the US and Canadian maps. With and without the trailer we've been to 49 states, D.C., all 10 provinces and 2 Canadian territories (of 3). Like Hawaii, it's hard to drive to Nunavut. 62 of 64 jurisdictions is 97%. With the trailer, 33 states (maybe), 5 provinces and 1 Canadian territory (61%). I was in maybe 10 Mexican estados and the Distrito Federal many, many years ago. I guess we don't need to display this stuff or we would already have a map.

Maybe it's the map and the fun in it is filling in each space after you get the map.

Perhaps it's time to do something useful today.

Gene
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Perhaps it's time to do something useful today.

Gene"

Naaaaaah....too cold and rainy, and the AS is in storage 10 miles away.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Gene, do you work for CMS ? (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services - national gov't). It sounds just like stuff I deal with everyday at work - our tax dollars at work!
We have a map stuck to the back of our SOB trailer, but will not do that with the A.S. We're thinking wood placard we can hang outside or in the back window, or somewhere like that. We've even thought of going classy - as in woodburning or painting one. Or both.

Not raining here today - 6 inches of snow overnight and counting. Work on Little Girl is definitely over till spring!

Kay
Old 11-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I had one on the old SOB for fun for the kids...and it helped them with geography and associating all the stuff they learned along the way. They're all grown up and out now. I'll skip the map and just wander around bumping into things as I go (NOT literally!) How does it go?.....I'll know where I am when I get there.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Gene, do you work for CMS ? (Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services - national gov't).
No is the short answer. I have been preparing comments on proposed state health dep't regulations for backwash ponds and other "impoundments" on behalf of our small water company. This is my reward for volunteering for the water company board. Maybe I'll get a plaque some day which I can exchange for senior citizen medications needed after serving on the board for years and years.

This experience (and others doing similar things although I used to get paid for it) has obviously twisted a mind already in a precarious state (49 states actually).

Remember to get the map, you must file an map application with the Dep't of Homeland Security. You will have to explain why you want a map which may include secret locations of secrets. You will also be "patted" down. I choose to be patted down by the youngest, prettiest TSA woman employee. I've always wondered if when people take their belts off, do their pants fall down? This will expedite the pat down.

Now…what was I doing?

Gene
Old 11-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
AH, someone who UNDERSTANDS! Isn't the Health Dept. FUN! (my apologies to anyone who works for one of these entities, but REALLY). I'm sure what you are dealing with is similar to what I deal with!

Kay
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

Next time we'll explore the question—can you wear a T-shirt or baseball cap from a place you've never been?

Perhaps it's time to do something useful today.

Gene
Gosh Gene,

I sure hope so! Last time I looked all my T-shirts, caps, and underwear for that matter were from China, the Philippines, Vietnam, Taiwan, or somewhere that I've never been.

I really don't think anyone wants me wandering around without my clothes from places I've never been.

As for the map, I lean toward where you've camped. I don't do a map myself, but if I did, I would not put on Virginia, Maryland, DC, or Michigan. I've spent quite a few nights in Virginia and DC, but the only aluminum involved belonged to Northwest or Delta. I would count Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Texas even though only the Trade Wind not the Excella has been there. Therefore, my answer is that I would not restart for a new trailer.