Old 02-11-2006, 12:49 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Question OH NO! ...Not another towing question

Just a COLOR away from ordering our new TV when BAM! another question about towing. We are moving up in TV, from a Burb to a 2500HD truck. Is there any benifit of having the bed covered with a Cap over a Tonnue cover? The Cap would exend the roof line to the end of the TV. I am wondering about any turbulance that can be created between the end of the cab and the end of the truck. When towing with the Burb the roof line extended to the end of the vehicle. With the Truck w/ Tonnue cover there is a difference in height from the cab to the end of the vehicle. Can this gap in height cause any turbulance between the TV and TT?

Dave

Old 02-11-2006, 01:40 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

FWIW, I have a 2500HD towing a 25ft International with Equalizer hitch. never had any turbulence issues. In fact, never even thought about it before. Pulls fine at 70mph.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucloud
Just a COLOR away from ordering our new TV when BAM! another question about towing. We are moving up in TV, from a Burb to a 2500HD truck. Is there any benifit of having the bed covered with a Cap over a Tonnue cover? The Cap would exend the roof line to the end of the TV. I am wondering about any turbulance that can be created between the end of the cab and the end of the truck. When towing with the Burb the roof line extended to the end of the vehicle. With the Truck w/ Tonnue cover there is a difference in height from the cab to the end of the vehicle. Can this gap in height cause any turbulance between the TV and TT?

Dave
Dave,
I don't think it would make much if any difference. I towed my 31' AS with a F150 with a Toneau cover. And I have towed it with the bed uncovered. You may get a bit less turbulence with the full length cap, but with the AS being pretty aerodynamic to start with you are in better shape than if it were a square cornered SOB.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 06:19 AM   #4
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
I would just order what I liked best. I've towed and continue to tow all three ways. Our primary truck that we use with our 31' is an F-250 four door diesel with the short bed and a tonneau cover with a bed slide installed. We also use our F-350 four door diesel with the long bed both with and without a camper cap. There isn't any discernable difference that I can tell other than in terms of convenience. You can haul taller items in an open bed or under the camper cap than you can with the tonneau cover. I personally like the lines of the tonneau cover better for most applications because the pickup still looks like a pickup with tonneau cover. In your case you are used to the lines of the Suburban and might favor a camper cap. I do favor having some sort of protection from the weather over the various items I carry when Airstreaming. Having a cap or tonneau cover fo security reasons is less of a concern for me, but then that is just me.

The only turbulence issues that I am aware of involve the fact that light weight items will occaisionally blow out of an open bed whether or not the truck is attached to an Airstream.

We also pull various other trailers most every day with the F-350. Some of those are gooseneck trailers and they are of course pulled with the open bed. The gooseneck configuration does set up considerable turbulence in the bed of the pickup which is problematic only in that lightweight items are more prone to blowing out of the truck bed.

I don't think air turbulence is a significant enough issue in pulling an Airstream that it will affect your fuel mileage whether or not you have on a tonneau cover, camper cap or pull with an open bed. I've seen advertisements that claim slightly better fuel mileage with caps of various configurations, but in reality I've never been able to actually tell any difference. Get what suits you best.

GStephens
Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Colleyville , Texas
Dave,
No turbulence here. We've had both and find the convenience of having the open bed to outweigh that of the covered bed. Go with what suits you and your personal needs aside from the tubulence issue. Good luck and have fun with your new TV.