Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2008, 04:27 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtjim
He's just showing his ignorance.
This is ebay at it's best. This guy is buying these for about $4 on ebay and through his ignorance is reselling them for as much as $36 - on ebay. Gotta give him credit I'd say.
RBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Grapefruit marmalade

My roomate in grad school always purchased and stored odd foods. I had concluded that he just had very strange tastes. When we were about to go our separate ways, he finally told me that his tastes assured him that nobody else would be eating his food! His motto: never have something that somebody else wants.

I'm glad "Mr White Trash" doesn't know anything about Airstreams. That way I won't happen upon him and think that he has a clue!

I haven't run into an Airstreamer that I didn't have something in common with

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
I am a very private person by nature. However, these stories strike a cord that touches my soul.

I have also been referred to as "trailer trash". My love of vintage and my Argosy which I cherish, have apparently become a problem to those constructing $300,000.00 cottages.

Bought waterview (ocean) property in 1986, kids age 2 and 4. Rabbits, foxes, blueberries, raspberries, the beach, the ocean, campfires with weenies and marshmallows. Life was sane then.

Ocean properties became hot and the rich were buying everything. They tried to force/buy me out, but I was pissed! Money does not scare me. Thought to myself.......'ya don't like it now... wait to see whats next. I did not go my cottage lot for 3 years, and the grass grew and grew, and the landscaping ceased to exist. It became a boil on Moneybucks ass, and I loved every minute of it.

David and Goliath.

P.S. Moneybucks summer home has been for sale for three years and still not sold.

I still own my cottage lot.
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breiz
While perusing Ebay today looking for possible parts for our AS, I saw this ad for a scale model Airstream. While I think the model is nice, the guy's term "O SCALE 50s AIRSTREAM TRAILER~WHITE TRASH VACATION CRIB" irritated me as an AS owner. I'm not overly offended or anything, but come on, that's just plain wrong, right?

O SCALE 50s AIRSTREAM TRAILER~WHITE TRASH VACATION CRIB - eBay (item 380007186088 end time Mar-18-08 22:10:47 PDT)
I can see where that would rattle you cage.
Chalk it up to some mothers (or fathers) children and move on...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #25
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
He could sell it for much more if packaged with Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock action figures.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
2016 30' Classic
Southeast , Michigan
Quote:
While perusing Ebay today looking for possible parts for our AS, I saw this ad for a scale model Airstream. While I think the model is nice, the guy's term "O SCALE 50s AIRSTREAM TRAILER~WHITE TRASH VACATION CRIB" irritated me as an AS owner. I'm not overly offended or anything, but come on, that's just plain wrong, right?

O SCALE 50s AIRSTREAM TRAILER~WHITE TRASH VACATION CRIB - eBay (item 380007186088 end time Mar-18-08 22:10:47 PDT)
The sad fact is that if this trailer is advertised as a Hallmark ornament, it get's very little bidding action. But call it an "O scale" Airstream and the bids go much higher. To anyone that's watching the attached photo's, it is obvious what these sellers are doing, but they seem to be able to dupe many people over and over and over again, because I have seen this type of description many times. Sad, but I guess that's what some people feel is an acceptible way to make a buck (or 20).
WBCCI/VAC #702 & #6768

66Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:53 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
Rockford , Illinois
Send a message via ICQ to flamingo-kid1 Send a message via AIM to flamingo-kid1
ummmm...

GOOD for you, Laura, and guess what.. we're not all white.

BUT I have often thought that a TRAILER TRASH PARTY would be a HOOT.. even polka-dotted people could have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
Cant we all just get along?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
I just sent this guy the following message, just to jerk his chain a little. I'll post back if I get an answer.

"Don't 50's Airstream trailers have thirteen upper panels front and rear? That looks like a 90's Airstream. Are you sure it's a 50's?"
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #29
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
NICE, I wonder what he will say? He is never going to make that mistake again, the forums people are going to drive him nuts!!
Operation "SAVE RUDY" Strike Team (Charter Member)

Check Out My New Airstream Blog
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Can I interest anyone in an 0 scale bridge? I'll sell to the highest bidder.......
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:41 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale
NICE, I wonder what he will say? He is never going to make that mistake again, the forums people are going to drive him nuts!!
I don't think it will be much of a drive. More like a short putt.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:10 AM   #32
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster
I just sent this guy the following message, just to jerk his chain a little. I'll post back if I get an answer.

"Don't 50's Airstream trailers have thirteen upper panels front and rear? That looks like a 90's Airstream. Are you sure it's a 50's?"
I sent him a similar e-mail pointing out that it was a composite of models from the 1970's and that it was a Hallmark Christmas ornament and that his "white trash" remark was offensive and he replied for me to "lighten up". I'm sure he will respond similarly to you as he did to one other who was offended by the "white trash" remark.

If there is a such thing as karma, he's got plenty of bad karma coming his way for fleecing folks the way he is.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:48 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
White or otherwise, I can get trashy with the best of them - and I'm darn (can I say damn here?) proud of it! I'm such hardcore trash that my flamingos are original 50's concrete with rebar legs! It's one thing to refer to myself as t-trash in jest, but this this guy really is ignorant trash.

Vacation crib? It sounds like he hasn't grown out of his crib yet.

Oh well, jerks come in all shapes and sizes and the guy who did the eBay listing is a really big one!
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
I woundn't assume he doesn't know his 70's from his 50's, especially if he's been "informed" by several of us repeatedly.

Smart sellers use search terms like 50's, retro, kitch, eames, and vintage to increase their chances of their auction being seen by more people. Add to that, if someone has a Shasta or Silver Streak for sale, they might say "Not an airstream." Why? So people searching for Airstreams will still see the non-Airstream items! So I wouldn't assume he doesn't know it's a 70's model. He might just know that "50's" sells better than "70's".

Besides, 90% of buyers won't care enough to verify they have a hacked up Hallmark Christmas ornament of a 70's trailer.

Sellers do weird things on eBay and Craigslist. I've spelled things wrong at times in ads... on purpose. When I mispell a word as I'm searching (convertable vs. convertible, for example,) I'll slip both spellings in when I'm selling a ragtop - to make sure I catch those bad searches.

Just because buyers don't spell well, doesn't mean their money's no good.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Nothing back yet.

We bought one of those little Hallmarks and then were given one as a gift. I think they are really cute.

On the license plate they have "2007". If you blow up one of his photos you can almost make it out.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:38 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
My daughter called me "Texas Trailer Trash" the moment she saw my 1st Airstream (a Safari, I now have a Classic). I took that as a compliment. As for the guy on Ebay, a fool's born every minute.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:00 AM   #37
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Send a message via AIM to airedale Send a message via MSN to airedale Send a message via Yahoo to airedale
The 2007 just means that was the year that it was made. Lots of people collect Hallmark stuff for every year, I still think its a 70's style Airstream LOL

Old 03-18-2008, 10:41 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by bredlo
Sellers do weird things on eBay and Craigslist. I've spelled things wrong at times in ads... on purpose. When I mispell a word as I'm searching (convertable vs. convertible, for example,) I'll slip both spellings in when I'm selling a ragtop - to make sure I catch those bad searches.
We found our '57 (it's a '56 - not that it matters) Airstreem on Craig's List - no description, no pictures, no price, no info whatsoever. Just a phone number:

"1957 Airstreem for sale - call for more info"

We got the address from a friend that had called, we dropped by to look...the rest is history!

I'd like to think their bad spelling and lack of info was to my benefit ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #39
Miss Rivette

1965 17' Caravel
Hell , Michigan
Yea, the same thing happend with my car, they listed it as the wrong year, umm, by ten years, but that was good for me!!!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:

The term "White trash vacation crib" may refer to Paris Hilton's Airstream on her TV show a couple years back.