Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Off Topic --- Heidleberg

Hi all,

Work is taking me to Heidleberg (via Frankfurt) in a few weeks and I could extend my business trip 2-3 days to sight-see - or take a short excursion. I'll be traveling alone, though not overly worrisome, just intimidating at times.

Anyone have suggestions on what I might do that is RELAXING? Not really looking to hit all the attractions in 2-days, just something nice - pick a basecamp for 3-days and tool around. Octoberfest will certainly be on my list - as well as the castle and the old town.

Cheers,
Laura
2006 F-150 Lariat QuadCrew
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
And I'm open to a flight to a neighboring city.... was thinking Paris but honestly, that's too much stress for me and I have too little time to dive in and plan this.... sigh.

And I guess I could head back to Frankfurt and just settle in for a few days. Haven't even looked at the options here....
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
Old 09-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Heidelberg is quite nice, visit the Schloss buy a cuckoo clock from the market etc

Typical German riverside 'city' plenty of history and sights to see.

Keep in mind Octoberfest is really the last week in September not October and bigger in Bavaria but there will see plenty of places offering the tourist version, which is actually much more civilized than the real-thing!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Having lived in both places (although it has been quite a while) there will be plenty to keep you busy for 2 to 3 days but that depends on what you like to do. Most older German towns are very compact in their tourist areas and you can walk from one attraction to another with very little problem.

You specified relaxing so maybe going from one tourist attraction to another is not what you would find relaxing.

In Heidelberg the easily done attractions are the Old Town, Castle, the Neckar River and Old Town Bridge. If you want a nice hike the Philosopher's way across the river. They have beautiful farmers marketplaces.

In Frankfort you'll have more of a modern Skyscape, Technology & Finance hub. Again there will be an old town which is called the Romer the Saint Bartholomew's Cathedral, St. Paul's Church, the zoo and a Palm Garden, Goethe Museum.

Oktoberfest is Sept 22 to Oct 6th. Munich is of course the place to experience Oktoberfest but every town will have their version. The crowds won't be maddening and the security won't be as tight and the beer is just as good.

Berlin is always a nice choice if you want lots to see and want to go somewhere other than Heidelberg or Frankfurt. in Berlin you can get on one of the tourist buses with your headphones and get off at any attraction you want to see spend as much time there and get back on the next bus as it cycles through. Dresden is also a beautiful city and you see part of the old and the new. Cologne would also get my vote.

In the south, Salzburg, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Innsbruck, Liechtenstein would all be beautiful places to go.

You go see Airstream of Germany in Merenberg, north of Frankfurt and take a tour.

Eat Brotchen, Bratwurst, Weisswurst, Pommes, Schnitzel, drink lots of German beer or wine. They tend to like to stop in the afternoon for coffee, tea and a sweet. Ketchup will taste a little different, typically don't get water at a meal unless you ask for it and even then it would likely not have ice cubes in it. I've never heard of anybody flying from one City to another in Germany but I'm sure that's quite common now. The Autobahn is not intimidating, they don't run you off the road. They drive briskly in the left lane and many times only use it to pass. If they flash their headlights at you which they're not supposed to do anymore that means they are asking you to merge to the right NOW. Always year to the right. Learn 4 or 5 words and then everybody will be glad to speak English with you.

Sorry for the ramble, sounds like I'd be glad to go with you, I really miss it.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:25 AM   #5
"Hey, I know you!"

Chapin , South Carolina
I visited Germany in 1985 and my two favorite places were Rothenburg ob der Tauber and Neuschwanstein. It's a couple of hours from Heidelberg to Rothenburg and a couple more from Rothenburg to Neuschwanstein - and that puts you close to Munich.
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:06 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Loudon , Tennessee
Having spent 12 years in Germany, for a relaxing dinner in the city of Ladenburg, 5 minutes north of Heidelberg off A5 towards Frankfurt is a restaurant call Die Kartoffel (The Potato). They bring your meat (either steak, fish, or turkey) on a hot stone and it cooks right in front of you to your liking with a huge baked potato and 3 meat dipping sauces. Here is the trip advisor link https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...rttemberg.html

Again great restaurant especially if you like steak!
tomquinnjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:31 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
Hillsborough , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
And I'm open to a flight to a neighboring city.... was thinking Paris but honestly, that's too much stress for me and I have too little time to dive in and plan this.... sigh.

And I guess I could head back to Frankfurt and just settle in for a few days. Haven't even looked at the options here....

I was born in Heidelberg and went to school there. I have taken many small groups over to Germany and have taken them to the following places:

1. Take the funicular from the main square from which you can see the castle ( Schloss) up to the castle. You get a nice view of the town and the Neckar River. There is also a museum in the castle. The worlds largest wooden wine casket is in the Schloss. It even has a dance floor on it.

2. Heidelberg was never bombed so you pretty much see buildings that are original. The University has been in existence since 1386. It is the oldest University in Germany.
There is even a student prison for those students who got too drunk and rowdy. There is some interesting graffiti on the walls.

Mark Twain visited Heidelberg many times because he loved the area. He stayed in a hotel not far from the entrance to the castle.

3. If you want to rent a car you can take a beautiful drive along the Rhine. Go down one side and then drive back on the other side. There are plenty of pretty villages located on both sides. You can also take a 2 hour Rhine cruise through the prettiest area. Start in Ruedsheim and take the cruise down river then take a train back to where you left the car.

4. I would skip Frankfurt. It was rebuilt with mostly "modern" buildings ( at the time) and it lacks the charm that Heidelberg has and those villages along the Rhine.

5. Some other good tips were listed on other posts. Rothenburg is worth going to. If you don't have a car, you can take a train but make sure it isn't the "bummelbahn" - ie. the local!!! Neuschwanstein is too far from Heidelberg.( My opinion)

Wolf

Wolf
wolf146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I don't no if the burning of the schloss in Heidelberg is still done but it is very nice display and the water fall effect on the bridge at same time is very impressive. One other thing not mentioned previous post is Worms where Martin Luther posted proclamation for Luthern religion on door of catholic church. Church was destroyed in war but site is well marked and history posted. [If I remember the frame work and door was standing 62 yrs. ago, may be more memorial now] A lot of Ger. towns [cities] have own festivals, such as Spier festival fest [spelling may be wrong as stated was there 62 yrs. ago]. 1957 1958.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
This is fantastic! Thank you all for your suggestions! I just booked my flights and will be making my plans based on these recommendations.

FunKee
AIR 31804
WBCCI 10718
Old 09-21-2018, 06:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
In the south, Salzburg, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Innsbruck, Liechtenstein would all be beautiful places to go. Are you driving?
These are all beautiful places to visit however the drive can with todays traffic can take a day so with your limited time I agree with others stay local. The castle alone can take you most part of the day especially if you walk up to it. As to places to eat my wife and I always enjoyed the guest houses. Locally own. The food is basic German so you will more then likely get the best schnitzel and pomp fritz in them. If in fact you are driving be sure to visit the local towns around Heidelberg Lot of great history and old castles
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:30 PM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm not at all sure I would call Munich during Octoberfest "relaxing". Most people find it quite the opposite. I'd kick back and enjoy Heidelberg. It's a pretty laid back town. Good beer and a lot of stuff in walking distance of a downtown hotel.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Fair Oaks Ranch , Texas
Like so many others, we spent many years living in Europe (Germany, France, Belgium). Our last home there was in Heidelberg. I recommend not trying to do too much in just a few days. Take at least a day to wander the old town (altstadt) and then stroll up to the Heidelberg castle. You’ll have a great view of the city and the Neckar river. The weather should still be nice so you can enjoy a cold beer sitting at an outdoor table. Prost! Mike
2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II #135
2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7
MikeandCarol is offline   Reply With Quote