Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Now is your Chance to tell Jim where to go

I want your opinions. My wife and I plan to leave New Orleans in 2 years. Where should we live?

I can retire now so my job is not an issue.

Our family is in New Orleans so we do not have to go to where they live.

We don’t like extreme cold.

We have a 12-year son who will start High School in 2 years. This would be the most important consideration.

Wife lost her job as a executive with a major department store, she would like to be employed (Sort of).

I do want to play radio, and use my RV. Willing to sell my boat. Rural or Urban ok.

Tell me where to go and why.

Thanks Jim

P.S. My wife just added another qualification, must be near interstate system so we can get the Airstream on the road, now you know why I married her.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Well

Tennessee is a nice place to live theres always an interstate near by.Lots to see and do here.Winter.... well i think we may have had one snow this past year and its was mostly gone by morning.We walk around in short until nov. sometimes longer.But it is really hot and humid here.
Old 05-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Jim, Jim, Jim... (sigh)

Jim,
This is why you have an Airstream. Sit down with your wife and make a list of the likely cities and/or states. You have two years to test drive the top five or six on your list.
P.S. Please don't test drive New Mexico. We have way too many nice people who come here and never leave.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:09 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
IMHO the Piedmont of NC is about as close to perfection as you can come 4 seasons, none of them are particularly nasty, and winters are mercifully short and mild. I work and travel most of the country and I like calling NC home

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
How about the mountains?

We love the area around Ashville, N.C. If you get up in the mountains, the summers are nice and cool. Winters in the montians can be a bit rough, but remeber this is still the deep south, so it's relative.

My in-laws have a nice smallish home near Brevard, N.C. Schools are good there. The downtown area is being "restored" (if that's the right word). The old 100 seat movie theator is back in operation. Lots of "new" shops downtown. They have a GREAT Irish Pub. Brevard Music festival every summer (for the past many decades) It's close to Ashville (45 minutes). Neighbors are great where they live. A lot of retired folks there. But then, that's part of the problem. So many people have bought retirement/weekend getaway homes in the area that prices can be really high. You have to look around (like anywhere else, right?). In their community, home prices range from $150k to several million. (They have one of the lower priced models!)

You're only a days' drive from New Orleans there as well.

IF we are ever able to retire, that's where we're going. No question.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:50 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I have to speak up for the NW. It's pretty nice all year around. It doesn't get ungodly hot in the summer, and it doesn't usually freeze hard in the winter. We only occasionally get snow, and when we do it rearely lasts more than a couple days tops. It rains a lot, but that just keeps everything green. The reward for the rain is these beautiful warm, blue-sky-puffy-cloud days in the most unexpected time, like the depths of February. Then I drop the top and go cruising in the converitble. But for Airstreaming, there's always the beach, or the mountains, or the desert, or the rainforests, or go see the volcanos. I love it here.

But if I was free to do so, I'd say home school the kid and hit the road!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 05:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by klevan
Jim,
This is why you have an Airstream. Sit down with your wife and make a list of the likely cities and/or states. You have two years to test drive the top five or six on your list.
P.S. Please don't test drive New Mexico. We have way too many nice people who come here and never leave.
How did figure out the plan?
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Keep em cominmg

I am glad everyone loves their home, my wife and I are enjoying reading the comments and looking up areas on the map.

Thanks Jim
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Old 05-24-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark
How did figure out the plan?
Actually, in 1996 my wife and I built our first retirement home in North Carolina on the Neuse River near New Berne. We got slammed by first one hurricane and then another the very summer we moved in.

Sensing we needed a break from NC, we bought a '76 Safari 23 and headed for New Mexico on a late summer trip that would last 40 days and 40 nights, an adventure of Biblical proportions. We returned to NC. where we endured another hurricance season. In 1997 we again sought respite in NM. Two weeks into our second Airstream Adventure we called the realtor in NC and told her to put the house on the market. We returned to NC, sold the house, endured one more hurricane, hooked up the Airstream, and moved to Albuquerque.

On our two trips out west we checked out many nice communities.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:07 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You could try the mountains of North Central Florida. Say what??? The Gainesville/Ocala area has many largish hills and valleys, as well as some really nice horse farms. It is not as stifling as the far South part of the state where we are, as far as I know the temp has never topped the century mark, although the humidity has. Winters are mild, with an occasional frost and a few snow flurries. It seems to be far enough inland to avoid the worst of the occasional errant hurricane. I-75 runs right by the area, and the Florida Turnpike begins just South of Ocala, on I-75. US 301 will connect you via a virtually deserted 4 lane highway to I-10 and I-95 to the Northeast.
The best part is Bob's RV Salvage is about 30 minute Southwest of Ocala, for your Airstream renovation pleasure...
Old 05-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I have to speak up for the NW. It's pretty nice all year around. It doesn't get ungodly hot in the summer, and it doesn't usually freeze hard in the winter. We only occasionally get snow, and when we do it rearely lasts more than a couple days tops. It rains a lot, but that just keeps everything green. The reward for the rain is these beautiful warm, blue-sky-puffy-cloud days in the most unexpected time, like the depths of February. Then I drop the top and go cruising in the converitble. But for Airstreaming, there's always the beach, or the mountains, or the desert, or the rainforests, or go see the volcanos. I love it here.

But if I was free to do so, I'd say home school the kid and hit the road!
Yeah, What Stef said !! we are soo close to so many different climates. I have been in a lot of cities/states and I still like the Portland Oregon best. Well almost, I would move to Bend, OR. given the opportunity.

Chris

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Ignore Chris and Steph, you dont want to come here. Bad place, bad, bad bad. We smell funny, drive weird, use tartar sauce on our fries and other wierdness.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Ignore Chris and Steph, you dont want to come here. Bad place, bad, bad bad. We smell funny, drive weird, use tartar sauce on our fries and other wierdness.
Oh yea, what was I thinkin. I forgot about my mentor Tom McCall ( the Gov. who coined the phrase, have a nice VISIT ). Yea this place sucks, stay far far away.

Chris
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
havent been to ashville in over 20 years....it was very nice back then.
if you want some land, and since you hate the cold, i would suggest southern illinois. got some nice airstreamers down there, and you are close to the mother road.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:05 PM   #15
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I left the mountians of NC for the Pacific NW. Only strange folk live here!

Heck - Oregon has no sales tax and WA state has no state income tax - also federal retirement benfits are tax exempt here.... go figure - who would want to live in a place like that!

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
forget about ore-gan.....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Come to Gods country.

We live in Oxford Ms. It's listed in a lot of publications as the number 1 small town retirement area. Oxford is a small rural town except when the College kids are here (Ole Miss Rebels). We don't have to lock our doors and we have the perfect little town square with some of the best restaurants. William Faulkner was from here and we are known here now for the Arts and music.
Look it up you may like what you see.
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
You wouldn't want to live where I live, although I do enjoy it. Many folks don't consider the positive benefits of living on the edge of a very large southern swamp.

The best thing about a huge swamp is that it tends to be a huge heat sink. Summer heat is busy evaporating water and it makes the region a little cooler than even some significantly more northern climes. In the winter, the black water releases warmth and keeps us a little warmer, too. (Winterize? What's that?)

The BEST part is humidity. Most days, it's like living inside a cloud. We wait for it to be 100 with 35% humidity, and then we think we're in Reno... well, not really, but it's a pleasant time to do stuff outside. Whenever sweat evaporates faster the one can make it, that's very, very nice.

Fringe benefits here are alligators, gnats, snakes, flying roaches ("Palmetto bugs"), an interesting and seemingly never ending variety of other bugs in God's kingdom, and MILDEW. (Isn't that related to Penicillin?)

Gee, I'm rotten at suggesting where to settle, but the hurricanes haven't gotten the 'gators yet (or my Airstream).

Good luck!

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 07:59 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Wow, Lamar, I think you're going to be overrun with visitors this summer!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:09 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Wow, Lamar, I think you're going to be overrun with visitors this summer!
Maybe the ones with 4, 6, and no legs...