Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
You wouldn't want to live where I live, although I do enjoy it. Many folks don't consider the positive benefits of living on the edge of a very large southern swamp.

The best thing about a huge swamp is that it tends to be a huge heat sink. Summer heat is busy evaporating water and it makes the region a little cooler than even some significantly more northern climes. In the winter, the black water releases warmth and keeps us a little warmer, too. (Winterize? What's that?)

The BEST part is humidity. Most days, it's like living inside a cloud. We wait for it to be 100 with 35% humidity, and then we think we're in Reno... well, not really, but it's a pleasant time to do stuff outside. Whenever sweat evaporates faster the one can make it, that's very, very nice.

Fringe benefits here are alligators, gnats, snakes, flying roaches ("Palmetto bugs"), an interesting and seemingly never ending variety of other bugs in God's kingdom, and MILDEW. (Isn't that related to Penicillin?)

Gee, I'm rotten at suggesting where to settle, but the hurricanes haven't gotten the 'gators yet (or my Airstream).

Good luck!

Lamar
Lamar, where do you think I am living now. I fed the alligators in the canal behind the house for years. I have already torn down one house due to the termites eating it. It was 91 today. I haven't caught any snakes in the yard yet this year, Katrina seems to have driven the opossum away maybe because the 270 feet of fence was blown down that he walked on. The mold removal cons are going on all over the city. Great city New Orleans. BTW I live in the part that wasn't flooded. I forgot to mention the Policeman that was shot in the face twice Tuesday by a 17 and 21 year old. That is why we plan to move. We feel our son deserves better.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel beck
We live in Oxford Ms. It's listed in a lot of publications as the number 1 small town retirement area. Oxford is a small rural town except when the College kids are here (Ole Miss Rebels). We don't have to lock our doors and we have the perfect little town square with some of the best restaurants. William Faulkner was from here and we are known here now for the Arts and music.
Look it up you may like what you see.
We are finding out many great locations. We will check out Oxford as it is not far away and we know several Ole Miss Alumni.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Yes Jim,
Ole Miss folks are the best. Not many Airstreams just ours, but some great camping areas close by. But let me warn you a little more Oxford is very slow pace I moved here 3 years ago and it took me a year to just slow down. But now i'm used to it and love the area. Much better than New Orleans. The upper level public schools are great and I'm sure your son would love to go to Ole Miss
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:44 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
San Luis Obispo, California. Perfect climate. Need I say more?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 09:56 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Oh, I love San Luis Obispo. Great abalone beds in the Restricted Area off Vandenberg AFB!
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #5783
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:00 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Ignore Chris and Steph, you dont want to come here. Bad place, bad, bad bad. We smell funny, drive weird, use tartar sauce on our fries and other wierdness.
You must be a transplant - I'm a native born Oregonian (now a transplanted Washingtonian) but I have NEVER eaten tartar sauce on my fries - chili cheese maybe....mmmm where's a Sonic when you need one?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrownrr
San Luis Obispo, California. Perfect climate. Need I say more?
The first three words sounded good, then you had to go and throw in that cuss word - you know the one that starts with a big C
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-25-2006, 12:10 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I saw my name in the post and had to read - I think people have told me where to go before - I usually didn't like it ..anyways, I've lived in Oregon, Idaho, Oregon, Washington, Texas, Washington, Idaho, Louisiana, Colorado, Idaho, and Washington again. I definitely prefer the great northwest. It's beautiful country. Maybe I'll make it back to Oregon again someday.

I only saw a few gators in LA. I thought they were cool - but you can keep all those nasty bugs!
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 05-25-2006, 12:12 AM   #29
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
You must be a transplant

Nope, 5th generation Oregonian. You have never had tartar sauce on your fries? Odd....
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 05:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I read this post with interest knowing that my dear wife of 36 years will not move an inch from our present address which is located close to our children and grandchild. I think you get the idea.
What does Wisconsin have to offer a retiree? We are one of the highest taxed states in the nation. We are one of the last states which still tax social security benefits. We have the highest cost of health care outside of of New York City. We have a corrupt state government. Our winters can be real character builders. Our summers are hot, humid and tornado laden. On the plus side is our wonderful natural beauty. However, the state charges you an arm and a leg to get into the parks and if you are from out of state it is even higher. Good roads which are being put everywhere as part of the corruption in state government. And let me not forget about the cheese, we have the best cheese in the nation.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I will not be so cruel as to recommend Minnesota - too cold, although global warming seems to have eased that a bit. Also, taxes are high here. Some of the suburban schools are very, very good though.

Where would I live if I was given the opportunity...
  • Aspen CO - One of the three most beautiful natural areas I have ever seen, but crazy expensive.
  • Carmel, CA - One of the three most beautiful areas I have ever seen, but crazy expensive.
  • Garmisch, Germany - One of the three most beautiful areas I have ever seen, but crazy expensive.
  • Vienna, Austria - A beautiful and safe city, good schools, but crazy expensive.
These all seem to have one thing in common... I can't afford any of them.

Back to reality... check out:
  • Portland, OR - Nice city, beautiful coastline nearby
  • Ft. Collins, CO - Nice city, away from Denver, college town liveliness
  • Savannah, GA - I have not spent much time there, but from what I saw it was beautiful and worth a look.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I'll Ditto the Oxford, Miss. post. While we've only visited on one occasion, we found the town to be absolutely charming. It's a college town with the best gameday experience you could ever imagine! In fact, I believe it was ranked at one time as the very best in the nation by Tom Brokow. WOW! We saw our team, Texas Tech play Eli and the Runnin' Rebs a few years back and it was a blast. Of course, our team won and that may have had something to do with it (sorry Rebel Beck). What a wonderful small town environment.

We're leaving the Texas heat as soon as we can sell our place and have opted for another small college town, Blacksburg, VA. Four seasons and being close to the Grandchildren is what we long for and the highlands of VA will suit our needs just fine. We'll be at 2,500 ft elevation in the hills and living in a slow moving, small town environment surrounded with the love of two small grandchildren. What could be better?
Old 05-25-2006, 07:38 AM   #33
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I was born and raised in the surburbs of New York City. I was moved to Arizona by my Uncle Sam. Phoenix was a small very nice city 35 years ago. Now it has gotten way too big. I will be looking for a quieter place to retire in a few yerars. In the words of that great American, Yogi Berra:
"Nobody goes there anymore; it's too crowded."

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:01 AM   #34
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
As transplants from the East Coast (NY and Boston), we have to put 2 cents in for Louisville, KY.

Four seasons with very mild winters
Good economy with large (UPS, Ford, Humana) employers but known for small business
Excellent quality of life for families
Great schools (both private and public)
Great restaurants and stores
Nice balanced mix of urban culture and country (horse farms begin about 20 minutes outside of downtown)
You can still afford to live in the city in a nice neighborhood in a nice house for not a lot of money
Your on 3 major highways (64, 65, 71) and are within 500 miles of most of the population of the country
2 hours to Indy, 3 hours to Nashville, 6 to Chicago, 8 to Atlanta, 13 to NYC.
An amazing urban park system, waterfront, baseball, museum district
Great state parks & camping within two hours of downtown.
Great hiking, mtn biking, boating (rivers and lakes)
That Mid Western work ethic mixed with Southern hospitality
Some of the nicest people we've even met

And oh yeah...there is a little horse race here every year.

When we moved here we had to find it on a map. Now we’ll never leave. Interestingly, my parents in law and sister in law are both working hard to move here from NY now. Every time they visit they they ask “now why don’t we live here?”

We're never leaving.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Zoomin c 6

I'm so glad you enjoyed our southern hospitality. Yes we are ranked also the #1 party school what can I say we love our Bourbon and cokes. I remember the game you are talking about. Yes we love our Eli and Archie but it will never be the same without them. Let's just all get a rally here so everyone can enjoy our town
Air# 9552
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Sign us up for a rally in Oxford, especially during a home game! The Grove is a sight not to be missed by anyone during a Ole Miss game. Even though we were wearing the wrong colors, we were treated like one of the family. We will never forget it. "Let's rally", and we don't do rallys. Maybe this will get us started.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:04 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I like this string. I've lived in Florida all my life - but was born in Tenn, have relatives in VA, went to college in NC, so the Southeast is generally "home" to me. I left Florida once for 3 years, and was so homesick for the gators and swamps I came back and know I'll never leave again. BUT, I love the mountains in the west - we've been to Colorado many times. SO, here's the plan, get a condo in Colorado (maybe Keystone or Breckenridge) and a condo in Florida (Sanibel or Naples) and use the A/S to travel between the two. That's my perfect retirement.

If I had to pick one place to be old and avoid the Florida heat, though, I'd go back to Chapel Hill, NC.
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #38
30' 1999 Excella

Kingwood , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Tin Diesel
Tyler area (east Texas)

I'd vote for the area around Tyler, TX.
Better climate than the gulf coast... gets hot but not as humid. Gets the occasional freeze in the winter, but almost never gets snow. Far enough away from the coast that hurricanes are an unlikely threat (occasional tornado, tho').

Nice topography... hilly with a lot of lakes. Near interstate 20 so you're on the road quickly.

Near Dallas (less than 2 hours) so you've got major metropolis access. But still close enough to New Orleans so you can see family when you want (or not!)

Great medical center (hey, we're all gettin' older!) that services a big part of east Texas.

Very friendly, down-to-earth people. Tyler's a nice, growing town.
IMHO.
Tin Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Pond Life.....

... Now being a Limey... & only a visitor 2 Yr Wonderful land, I rate Florida, big style, Luv Boston ( Mass: ), but All our Family realy like SWAMPSCOTT, Nr Salem, Mass :, words can not express the place, We r comin over next March 2 Boston, & agn will B visitin S/S... There is jus something abt the place, it's kinda enchantin, mysterious, quaint & cute, all in one, but a lttl chilly when it touched -14... Brrr... LOL... & the train journey out there fron Revere is so charmin, so clear, quiet... & I think U get the idea, BRILL...Chris.....
Old 05-25-2006, 04:55 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I will not be so cruel as to recommend Minnesota - too cold,
yeah, but its a dry cold.....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote