Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2004, 12:30 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Satellite ISPs

I would think the telephone upload connection is still the problem here. Love to know it works for someone though...anybody ou there with experience with mobile satellite connections?
________
No one has mentioned satellite-delivered Internet service.

You still need a land line (phone or cell) for the upload, but the download speed sounds good. Directv directway download boasts up to 500kbs.
Old 01-25-2004, 09:45 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stefrobrts

Does anyone know more about the wi-fi network access at Borders and Starbucks? I've never been in a starbucks (not a coffee drinker), but that sounds like it might be an option to look into.
Look at the starbucks (www.starbucks.com) web site for details. I think it is affiliated with T-Mobile and a fee is involved to use the service.
idahosafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 AM   #23
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Re: Satellite ISP?

Quote:
Originally posted by 63wind
No one has mentioned satellite-delivered Internet service.

You still need a land line (phone or cell) for the upload, but the download speed sounds good. Directv directway download boasts up to 500kbs.

Scott

Well, there is this option....

Datastorm, mobile satellite service

It isnt cheap though.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Internet

I love forums like this. My two passions, Computers and Airstreams. I have played around with sattilite modems before on boats. They work fine for email and smaller size web sites. They loss signal strength a lot. Unless you get a expensive automatic unit you have to aim the dish everytime you want to use it.(getting up on the roof). Very poor reception in any kind of cloudy weather.. The internet signal is more sensitive than the Tv signal. Most Nokia cell phones will work as a modem now(PC only, no macs). It requires a $50 usb to phone cable.($30 on ebay) Plus a national dial up account. Netzero is free and works enough to get email and small web pages over the cell phone. AOL or something like that would get better performance. My mother has a Dell laptop and loves it. It was missing a cable when she first got it, and had to jump through hoops to get the overseas tech support to understand what cable she was missing. The manual listed the part number of the missing cable, but the tech support couldn't find it. Then they sent her another powercord instead of what she needed. After 6 tries she gave up and bought the cables at Radioshack. Other than the tech support nightmare she loves the computer and has had no troubles with it.
I have been using a Apple powerbook G4 667 with 768mb of ram, OSX 10.3, and a airport card for 2 1/2 years now. It has taken more abuse than I care to see my baby take. Drops, spills on the keyboard, constant use day in and day out. I do need a new battery, but 2 1/2 is a good life span for a laptop battery. I could get three hours of run time when it was new. The newer small models get 5 hours. I just wish my nokia cell phone would work as a modem for it.

As for Wi-Fi hot spots, There are web sites dedicated to listing wireless internet "hot spots". Not an option outside of city limits. If you are passing through a town then it is something to think about. I have a free program from downloads.com that beeps when I come into a wireless network. You could drive around town and the computer will start beeping when you come into a hot spot. Kind of like stealing cable from your neighbor.
Streamsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:44 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

hot spots

Here is a few hot spot web site.
www.wi-fihotspotlist.com
www.wififreespot.com

You can do a google search for more.

You would be surprised how many hot spots are out there. I even found one 15 minutes from me. Most are coffee shops and hotels. They say Free on the web site, but I am sure you have to at least buy some coffee from most of the places.
I also know most hospitals have Wifi. If they have a good transmitter you could get a signal from the parking lot.

The program for finding hot spots is called Mac Stumbler

http://download.com.com/3000-2274-10...ml?tag=lst-0-2

I personally like the idea of getting a hot cup of coffee and checking my email for no monthly charge at a coffee shop. Assuming there is one within a resonable distance.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:47 AM   #26
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Re: Internet

Quote:
Originally posted by Streamsaver
I love forums like this. My two passions, Computers and Airstreams.
As for Wi-Fi hot spots, There are web sites dedicated to listing wireless internet "hot spots". Kind of like stealing cable from your neighbor.
Streamsaver,
I don't think of the "wardriving" as stealing cable from my neighbor, I think of it more like them leaving their sprinkler on high and watering my garden with their water little or no effort on my part. If people would secure their systems properly it would be a non-issue. When we were at my parents for Christmas this past year, we were able to tap 3 seperate WiFi systems from inside the house. My brother is in the computer/IT industry, one of the systems we tapped was my parents neighbor, we helped him secure his system as his hard drive was exposed. One of the other systems belonged to the church across the street, if they are paying somebody to IT their system for them they are getting burned. There was news report here a while back, the reporter took a WiFi laptop and was riding around in our wonderful state capital and was picking up open systems all around the state government buildings, makes you really wonder what they do with out tax dollars.
As far as patch cables are concerned check out these guys, I have dealt with them and am a very satisfied customer! Patch Cables I use one with my Sprint PCS with great results, not nearly as fast on my Altel. Different systems.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:59 AM   #27
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
My friend takes the Metra (rail service) to the city every day. He tells me that at nearly every stop, folks have their wireless base stations set to high and totally unsecured. He gets a few minutes at almost each stop.

Funny thing is that some folks also have filesharing on with no password too.....want a tax return or two?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote