Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 01:24 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Re Texas.....

Firstly '62, I'm GLAD U still talkin 2 ME...LOL, Being BRITISH, is hard enough, & tryin 2 understand Yr politics, ( & what makes 'em TOCK, lol, IS HARD )...But U kn, it's kinda GOOD 2 have a lttl Banter, as we call it, gets the hair up, stirs the Blood, But in away, We're ALL the same, ALL equal, jus that some R more equal than others...what some lack in one thing, they excel in another thing...as I say, I WON'T & DON'T pretend 2 KN everything, tho I'm 52 now, I must Admit I learnt a Hell-of-a-LOT since I joined THIS FORUM...& I feel I KN U ALL Personaly, in the NICEST posable way...LOL. It's kinda HARD, as I say, U C, U have different words 2 US, & U say some same words DIFFERENTLY...I once spoke 2 A Wonderful young Lady at WDW, in '97, I DID'NT understand a word She said, tho I did catch Southere-Belle...it was jus one long drawl 2 me, BUT, 2 Me it sounded like MUSIC, bein TONE deaf as well as half deaf 2 start with...I was NOT bein ignorant at all, I explaind I could NOT understand Her, but I Kissed her Hand, & bought Her an Ice Lolly...as a token of Friendship...NOT through guilt, I felt Barriers Had bn opened, & My Family & Myself, fear NOTHING on our Visits 2 Yr Wonderful land, be it U from Here or there or no-where 2 anywhere, WE R ALL EQUAL, we ALL share one thing in common, & thank God WE aint taxed on it... YET ... AIR, Oh Yea, Fla HAS MORE sunshine than where I live, now that aint EQUAL...LOL...Chris.....

Old 03-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #30
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Hey, this is "my" thread, and it was all about NOT talking the politics of Dubya! So cut it out!

Old 03-17-2005, 08:14 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Oh Really?

Well what was it about, then?

I agree that politics is often a subject better left alone but it was so hard to pass up after cheap comments like "Curious George", etc.

Interestingly, monkey-like insults were common for another president who struggled in popularity with his critics at a crucial time in our nation's history, as he took a difficult stand on an issue that even those of his own party were willing to concede (secession). Fortunately, stand he did, even at the expected cost of his re-election (with plenty of international catcalls as well, I'm sure). Now, almost 150 years later, we celebrate his birthday along with our very first (and perhaps greatest) president.

Last year, the channels were flooded with funeral coverage and tribute to a president whose tough (and critically unpopular) stand against communism (through defense spending & hardline diplomacy) was credited with bringing down the the world's largest oppressive regime. Where were the accolades while he was president?

My point is, cheap comments may sound cute and might solicit a laugh or two ("define what the the meaning of 'is' is"), but history will determine the stature of the leader we have voted for (or against).

Some former presidents seem to grow in stature, others don't.

Now, Airstreams anyone?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:38 PM   #32
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Well what was it about, then? (snip)
Back when I posted the initial message of the thread, there was a ongoing thread dealing with Pres. Bush (whom Tejanos used to call "Dubya" back when he was Governor). I didn't even want to LOOK at that thread (and never did), for a really dislike the tenor that generally comes about in these "discussions." That was the point of my original!

Lynn
Old 03-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Snip?

What an insensitive choice of words!

As the father of seven children, I cringe at that "term"!

Please accept my humble apology for the feeble attempt to "balance" the thread responses.

I shall henceforth confine my comments to Airstream topics alone.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:16 PM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaChop
Snip? ...

As the father of seven children, I cringe at that "term"!
Been there, done that! And that's why I'm the father of two.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #35
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Read every word, then get angry

O.K. Y’all, that’s it. Remember that “train wreck” statement from my last post? I’m drawn to all things political, it’s like a sixth sense, or something equally weird….When I see it I just can’t stop myself…..and I don’t want it…to …happen here…..Mr. Hyde is coming out…..

Terry,

You are absolutely correct here. Doesn’t it seem that rules work one way for one group of people, but take on a whole new meaning for another group that is opposed to the first group? Strange how that happens in American politics. Does anybody remember the last two viciously fought American presidential elections? Can you say Dan Rather? Can you say media bias? Sure you can!

Twink,

Please, please, don’t ever pull a punch. Keep it up. Facts only confuse “the other guys.” I could go on, but I don’t want to try to only embellish upon your extremely accurate and cogent remarks.

David (Davydd),

You’re absolutely correct about Wally World. It is a shining example of what CAPITALISM is supposed to be about. And as you suggest, it is certainly not a perfect company. If I may be permitted to paraphrase a great line from the book QB7, “all capitalists are not good in the same sense that all communist are not bad”. Same thing applies to corporations or, for that matter, “Mom and Pop” businesses. Ever live in a small town and have only one choice of hardware stores because the owners of said store are related to all of the city fathers (or county commissioners) and won’t allow ANY competition to horn in on the business of Bubba? Enough said?

62 (Paul)

I lived in Texas for many years. I’ve also lived in 5 other states and 2 foreign countries and visited many, many others. I can say with equivocation that if I were to be transferred back to Texas, I would consider myself “home” again. I don’t believe that I was ever treated as well as in Texas. Texans take folks in, regardless of road they’ve traveled down to get there and treat them as family, with kindness and simple respect. Dubya may not truly be a “Native” in the strictest sense of the term, but some there ( and elsewhere) seem to truly hate this man. Hate is a strong word. Is that really called for?

David (dscluchfc),

Finally, somebody who actually knows this man. For those of us who take the time to read and NOT follow the “mainstream press” and actually think for ourselves, you have just personalized what many of us believe. The President is not a perfect man and none of us are. But he does have the virtues of having a conscience, of having a solid understanding of what it is to be an American, of what our place in history seems to be (no matter what is thrust upon us from outside) and most importantly, that his job as the President, first and foremost, is to PROTECT us from “all enemies, foreign and domestic.” The last part of that statement seems to have escaped the numb nuts that inhabited the White House for the eight years prior to President Bush taking office. If that crowd had taken that part seriously, we would not have the mess we have today. At present, there are about 300,000 brave young Americans deployed in hostile areas of the world trying to right the wrongs of Clinton, et al. It is simply unfathomable to me that Clinton had every opportunity to prevent this current mess we are in, but he chose instead to “contemplate his libido” with a woman in her early 20’s. How big is this man’s ego? Everybody does remember that he was impeached, right? Impeached! Only the third man in American history to achieve such an “honor?”

David, please continue to remind all of us what a decent fellow the President is. Please remind us, lest we forget, that at least we know our daughters are safe within the confines of the most recognized address on the planet, 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. And that is a damn sight more than we could say in the ‘90’s.

Banjo Man,

Nobody takes offense at anything you say! Most Americans love anything British. Although your typing does give some of us a headache! But seriously, I heard Wally World invaded the UK a few years back. One of my daughters works there in the evenings and attends University in the mornings, so I guess it can’t be all that bad, right? Go ahead and poke fun at us Yanks, we can take it. It seems some of us have forgotten that politics “is politics” and not to be taken too seriously. Politically, things have surely changed here since 1992. It seems we have forgotten that the world is changing around us and we haven’t adjusted to fit the modern scheme of things. If I remember my history correctly, Britain had a similar lapse in memory around the time of World War One? But don’t let me give a good Englishman a history lesson. Your country has over a millennium of history to draw upon, we are mere children with just over 200 years under our belt. Oh, and by the way, if I should again find myself in your fair land, I shall seek out a public house and hoist a pint in your honor. Likewise when you are in Florida, once again. You are most welcome here, sir.

One more thing. After 9-11, Britain came to the aid of America in a big, big way. You have sent your brave young men and women into harm’s way repeatedly over the last 3 or so years to help defend America. Most of us will never truly know all of the ways y’all have helped us. The Royal Marines hit the beaches in southern Iraq. The RAF flew cover from the gulf to Afghanistan to Kirgizistan to the skys over North America. The Queens own, the Black Watch, deployed to the desert in support of the operations in southern Iraq. British Special Ops are still working with allied forces worldwide to chase down the threat. The Royal Navy is doing what it has done for 500 years, keeping the waterways clear for all to freely navigate without fear. Britain is, by any measure, Americas closest ally. This is a sacrifice that most of us will never forget. Ever. If you know of a British veteran who is returning from deployment, please thank him or her and assure them that the thanks of grateful nation can not be expressed properly. We shall forever be in your debt.

Now, please, for the love of “Pete”, can we talk about those long silver tubes? This is a place of camping pleasure, not of politics.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 03-18-2005, 08:56 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by argosy20
And now a second thread of president bashing, it is being allowed to stand without moderator intervention, but the thread and poll I started was immediately shut down and deleted as too big a waste of time and bandwidth. And all I wanted to know was forum member's party affiliaion.
We moderators are from from perfect, and we don't all agree on everything either of course...while we all do strive together to keep this Forum a fun and informational place about our favorite hobby....where we can all hang out on the web.
I personally don't like any off topic threads, and would remove all of them if I had my way, but I am only one of a team. I would much rather keep this place to AS related discussions, even if that theme is stretched pretty far at times. I visit another unrelated forum often, where NO off topic discussions are allowed, and no flaming is tolerated.
The political and other discussions have many, many other forums and Blog spots that are full of venting and raging against everyone and everything. My own political and religious feelings and leanings are not going to be displayed here...except for an occasional slip. So....
Venting about the President in an off topic forum then is ok as long as it does not become too much personal bashing of other members. That is the present local acceptable policy. Things have been smooth here for quite awhile...after a very few members were banned from posting for constantly baiting and goating others.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #37
AirForums Sponsor

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Hi Chris - I can understand how it would be for a person outside of the US to understand our politics. In reality the word "politics" pretty much defines itself. Interesting that you like accents on this side of the pond. I've always liked listening to the way ya'll talk - especially Elizabeth Hurley! You're right, a little friendly banter is always fun, provided everyone keeps their sense of humor. I found reference to an American's guide to British slang - it's really funny to see the differences in the words of our cultures even though we both speak English. Anyone interested can see it here:

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

Jim - Being a Texan I'm glad to hear you feel that way about the state. We have had a very interesting history. My gripes about the state stem from the changes that have happened over the years. Over the past 15 years the pollution has become horrible and continues to get worse. The people that once defined "Texas hospitality" are becoming the minority. The drivers have become some of the rudest I have ever seen and I have visited all states except Alaska and Hawaii. Towing the Airstream at anything less than 75 mph, even on two lane rural roads yields honks and obscene gestures. Public lands, other than the state parks, which are nice but crowded, are almost non-existent, And the crowning blow is that it is so far from the rockies, although once it was closer.

Yes, hate is a strong word, and no I don't hate the President.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Old 03-18-2005, 10:39 AM   #38

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
I personally don't like any off topic threads, and would remove all of them if I had my way, but I am only one of a team. I would much rather keep this place to AS related discussions, even if that theme is stretched pretty far at times. I visit another unrelated forum often, where NO off topic discussions are allowed, and no flaming is tolerated.

I visit another forum like that as well, and it's not my favorite. I visit it to get technical information about one of my car projects, and that's it. I usually only go there when I need something. Because nobody gets to know each other by chatting about off topic things, it always feels very impersonal. I am always dissapointed to see someone start an interesting off topic thread only to have the moderator kill it.

I'm VERY glad this forum isn't like this. I always have a reason to come here just to see what folks are up to, even if I don't currently have any AS related questions. That's what a community is about, and a day doesn't seem right if I don't visit the AS Forum. I think the moderators do a great job of keeping the peace, and allowing folks to be themselves here!

Old 03-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Well put Steph...I agree and am thankful that we don't have such a sterile environment here.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 03-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Accent on Accents...

'62 O...Well I still larfin at the site U put up, very FUNNY indeed, infact so funny I spilled My TEA, now that in English terms is a total waste...LOL, it's kinda like spillin BUD...LOL...As I work in warehousin, I get 2 meet a LOT of truck drivers, & I kn I should NOT do this, but when they have gone, I imitate their LINGO, now, as I R from ESSEX, Nr. London, I can speak a few local area banter, Now I live in Yorkshire, I 2 can imitate the Lingo, When I stayed in Scotland & so on...so When My Cousins come from Scotland 2 Yorkshire, & My Mother speakin London-Suffolk, which IS a real long drawn out affair, whilst the Scots is 20 words a second...LOL, I have 2 b the Guy in between to DE-CODE, Unscramble, as it were...Yet I still feel deeply Ashamed & Embassered at NOT bein able 2 understand the Young Lady at WDW, I learned at an Early age, NOT 2 laugh ( LAFF- LARF ) at people...LARF wiv 'em especialy if that person has had far tooooo much funny POP ( BEER ), LOL...
As 4 Yr politics, please Count Me OUT...

Jim, I aint goin-on abt fings, But one of My Friends lost his 22 yr old SON i last year fightin 4 a cause that was long ago 4gotten, so less said... I wear a PIN, of Yr Banner & our Union Jack, I could have sold it a million times over, BUT, 2 ME, it's a personal item I wear 4 Kathy in TENN:, She works 4 red Cross...Bless Her, & Bless U ALL 2...still comin over 2 Fla, even if I gotta PADDLE, stiff upper lip & all that JAZZ...LOL...Chris.....
Old 03-18-2005, 07:49 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Community is the key to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'm VERY glad this forum isn't like this. I always have a reason to come here just to see what folks are up to, even if I don't currently have any AS related questions. That's what a community is about, and a day doesn't seem right if I don't visit the AS Forum. I think the moderators do a great job of keeping the peace, and allowing folks to be themselves here!
Stephanie,

Well put. I was once in the position of managing the Macintosh Graphics Forum on America Online. I created the Photoshop Special Interest Group and had all the heavy hitters online including the Knoll brothers, well known Photoshop gurus and a lot of Adobe top brass. Then one day a "Tuetonic" German came online and started offering fantastic Photoshop tips in our SIG. No one in the community ever heard of him. Since a lot of members were heavy hitters in the industry we also had what I would say a lot of Photoshop groupies as well. So the SIG became sort of a pub of sorts where discussion became loose and philosophical. The German remained very dutiful in answering questions and giving his tips. One day he called me and complained about the forum. He was very orderly and humorless about what was going on. So I made a deal with him. I created a sub-SIG so he could keep his Photoshop tips organized. We didn't tolerate any off-topic discussion. This guy proved to be so popular that the groupie crowd gravitated to the new sub-SIG and it didn't take long for it to become another philosophical off-topic pub on anything Mac and graphics. Knowing his concerns, as moderator, I made an attempt to temper the group. His repy to me was, "No, no, everything is fine." He got it--COMMUNITY. If you know anything about Mac and graphics, this SIG, we called Kai's Power Tips, or KPT. That KPT eventually morphed commercially into Kai's Power Tools. And now you know the rest of the story.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I should add...

I have an Airstream that sits in my yard and traps mice. I haven't a clue when I am going to find time to fix it up or use it, but I enjoy this forum more than almost all others simply because of the people who frequent here. This is one of the best groups I have come across in over 21 years of online messaging.

Closed Thread