Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Community is the key to success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I'm VERY glad this forum isn't like this. I always have a reason to come here just to see what folks are up to, even if I don't currently have any AS related questions. That's what a community is about, and a day doesn't seem right if I don't visit the AS Forum. I think the moderators do a great job of keeping the peace, and allowing folks to be themselves here!
Stephanie,

Well put. I was once in the position of managing the Macintosh Graphics Forum on America Online. I created the Photoshop Special Interest Group and had all the heavy hitters online including the Knoll brothers, well known Photoshop gurus and a lot of Adobe top brass. Then one day a "Tuetonic" German came online and started offering fantastic Photoshop tips in our SIG. No one in the community ever heard of him. Since a lot of members were heavy hitters in the industry we also had what I would say a lot of Photoshop groupies as well. So the SIG became sort of a pub of sorts where discussion became loose and philosophical. The German remained very dutiful in answering questions and giving his tips. One day he called me and complained about the forum. He was very orderly and humorless about what was going on. So I made a deal with him. I created a sub-SIG so he could keep his Photoshop tips organized. We didn't tolerate any off-topic discussion. This guy proved to be so popular that the groupie crowd gravitated to the new sub-SIG and it didn't take long for it to become another philosophical off-topic pub on anything Mac and graphics. Knowing his concerns, as moderator, I made an attempt to temper the group. His repy to me was, "No, no, everything is fine." He got it--COMMUNITY. If you know anything about Mac and graphics, this SIG, we called Kai's Power Tips, or KPT. That KPT eventually morphed commercially into Kai's Power Tools. And now you know the rest of the story.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I should add...

I have an Airstream that sits in my yard and traps mice. I haven't a clue when I am going to find time to fix it up or use it, but I enjoy this forum more than almost all others simply because of the people who frequent here. This is one of the best groups I have come across in over 21 years of online messaging.
Old 03-19-2005, 12:48 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Words of Wisdom...

Hi All, Me agn...LOL...When I was Young, very young, I heard a joke, I'm gonna tell U it, 'cos it's abt U Guys...it is: "Q" What is the defenition of British Womens BRAS..."A".One YANK & there OFF...Now I'm SORRY 4 sayin that, BUT the point is, the word " YANK "...Now I'm totaly lost where this word comes from, Another term I heard a lot of was:, Yankies, Over Paid, Over Se*ed, & OVER HERE !... An Elderly neighbour told Me many Stories abt U Guys, I listened with great WOWNESS...LOL, Well U do when Yr only 10-ish...like Our sayin " London is paved with GOLD ", I went lookin 4 that GOLD, & found Myself destitute is a foreign City...The Quest of My life was 2 travel 2 the STATES, ok, I bn 2 two, Boston 8/10 & Fla: 15/10...LOL, & I & My Family have nvr looked bk, WE intend 2 keep on comin over 2 Yr wonderful Land, 4 as long as We can...tho we Have Europe on our door step, Fanx...but NO-FANX::: TEXAS...right now we have our very own local SINGER...Tony Christie...singin abt ARMARILLO ?, back in the Music charts, & the funny thing is, He nvr bn there...LOL, so the TV Co. sent Him a short Video abt the place, & My work mate goes 2 Texas Next week, so watch out Guys 4 a Plump bald-headed LIMEY...LOL.....SO Y R U named YANKS...I Don't use the word Myself, I like 2 call U...... My Friends From Over-The-Pond...KMAO.
I guess this postin makes NO sense 2 MOST of U, nor ME, but I R British U KN...& PROUD of it 2, & YES, I tooo would BACK U Guys 2 the hilt...I remember which Country the Guys came from who got My Father out of a hell-hole in WW2...FANX, so Yes, its a Personal thing with Me OK...& best 4got...tho NOT 4gotten...Chris.....
Old 03-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
yankee- american indian corruption of anglais....a nickname for a native of new england, and by extention, u.s. citizens...not to be used in the southern portion of the usa....similiarly,analagous to calling a cajun "tex", a canadian "canuck" or a british sailor "limey".....ehh?

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #45
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
yankee- american indian corruption of anglais....
Le terme Anglais (au féminin Anglaise) désigne une personne habitant l'Angleterre (ou la Grande-Bretagne), mais au Canada, il est utilisé également pour désigner tout anglophone vivant dans ce pays.

. . . . so I guess they weren't very good at geography?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
For the life of me I can't seem to make sense out of Banjo's posts without the help of aspirin and Tylenol.
He is writing in Brit. abbr. intrntese, and I am reading in Unabridged Texan. It doesn't work for me, sorry.

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
Old 03-19-2005, 10:55 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
David -- My Sons of the Texas Republic application sits scant feet from my computer, abandoned because of my Argosy and this forum (man being a rationalizing animal, etc, etc). In order to understand Chris better you just need to develop your eye for different accents. The following quote has been on the forums before but you might want to practice on this:

"I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to rscheearch taem at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe."

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 03-19-2005, 11:28 AM   #48
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
i think you kn whut i ment, bhut what i ment wuz not whut Yu taut imnet....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 03-19-2005, 11:35 AM   #49

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by canny_banjo_man
TEXAS...right now we have our very own local SINGER...Tony Christie...singin abt ARMARILLO ?, back in the Music charts, & the funny thing is, He nvr bn there...LOL, so the TV Co. sent Him a short Video abt the place
The thing is, Texas, and the southwest US, are like a mythical place to Americans. It's like all the road movies, route 66, and that kind of thing. A place that's far away, people are spread out, the landscape stretches from horizon to horizon. And Texans are so proud of Texas, you have to give them that. It's a very distinct part of the country, and I think it grabs people's imaginations - especially those far away who only hear about it.

Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 AM   #50
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
The thing is, Texas, and the southwest US, are like a mythical place to Americans. It's like all the road movies, route 66, and that kind of thing. A place that's far away, people are spread out, the landscape stretches from horizon to horizon. And Texans are so proud of Texas, you have to give them that. It's a very distinct part of the country, and I think it grabs people's imaginations - especially those far away who only hear about it.
yes, a place where men are men, and the sheep are anxious.....

Old 03-19-2005, 12:02 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Geez, that makes my head hurt.

AIR # 410
Old 03-19-2005, 12:03 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by norbert
yes, a place where men are men, and the sheep are anxious.....
Only around College Station....

AIR # 410
Old 03-19-2005, 01:42 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
We've Got Texas right here.

Eastern Washington and Eastern Oregon has all of the same scenery as Texas, Scrub lands to High desert rolling hills to Pecker Pole Pines and more. Also you can have all of the Politics you want, just like Texas.
Yep, there's alot in common between the East Sides and Texas.
100 deg + days, 30 deg nights, 6" of annual rain fall, clear views from horizon to horizon, cactus, sage brush, tumbleweeds...
Love the land.
Who ever wants it can have the politics.
Old 03-20-2005, 12:32 AM   #54
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Rong ritin...

Hi ALL....
Well, I seem to have a slight problem with My writing, I am SORRY to those of You who can not understand Me, I DID however understand what My learnered Friend Canoe Stream wrote, It is NOT My mind that is the problem, it is My FINGER, it is DYSLEXIC...I know it is NO excuse at all, & if so, a very POOR one, however, so far it has taken Me about 10 mins just to write these few lines, so I statred to use My own form of short-hand, & so far I have got away with it, so to the ones I can not get through to, I must say that I are so sorry, & as for Dscluchfc having to take Medication before reading My posts, do You purchase it from Wall-Mart by any chance ???, I understand one can purchase a HUGE bucket full of Aspirin, for the price of half a pint of BEER...LOL.
Also, I would like to take this oppertunity to THANK Each & Every One of You, for EDUCATING Me, in so many different subjects, it is a GREAT PLEASURE to read what You write abt the States You all reside in, Once upon a time, not so long ago, I thought America was a huge place full of Mc.D's, Car plants, Crop Fields & Industrial Eyesores, it IS, BUT...If one opens up ones EYES,one can see the Beauty inbetween the Beasts, When I Hit Boston last year, what a wonderful place, it's out there, one has just got to look for it, with Her tall buildings, Her small quaint buildings, & so on, I believe it is up to ones self to search for whatever one is looking for, & once You have found it, lock it away in Your Memory, simply because one day it will be No more...Progress is the FUTURE...but WE have a price to pay, thank goodness for Cameras, that's all I say...LOL, Well Ladies & Gentlemen, I once again THANK YOU ALL, for bearing with Me, I know it is not easy for You, nor is it for ME, but I are quite sure We will fix it, just think of it as a little job to be done on Your Airstream, Don't ask HOW I do it, just DO it, then ask, How DID I do it...LMAO...Take care, & God Bless AMERICA...Chris.....
Old 03-20-2005, 04:46 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
désigne une il est utilisé également pour désigner tout anglophone vivant dans ce pays.

uhh.....is that some type of new cd player?.....
norby

Old 03-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Chris, just keep posting--old style, new style--we like your company! As for me, seeing your posts old style just makes my day. One of these days, we may just hop over to YOUR side of the pond, one of my old "English major" dreams from college days.Then I am sure you could fill our itinerary with all your fav places to walk and visit. Til then, keep reminding us of how good we've got it!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:00 AM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Unhappy

Alan, I apologise for my whiny post, I was off my medication that day... As for Wally-World invading Great Britain, I guess they are getting even for that 1812 fracas all over again...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:09 AM   #58
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Chris, I, too, enjoy reading your post. It's like getting your accent in the printed text. At least I think it is the accent. It may be something totally different from your acctual speach pattern, but I just imagine that it is and it adds to the international feel or your post for me.
Old 03-21-2005, 12:35 PM   #59
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Accents...

Max&Georgia & Minnies Mate....
Firstly ( 1stly )...LOL, I R quite fortunate in TALKIN, it's bn noted I can talk the Legs off a HIND DONKEY...what ever is meant by vat...LOL, I can soon pick up different dialects, as America talks different per State, so do We...so when I R in London, I speak like a Southerner, & when up north, I speak like they do, & so ON, I R sorry IF I upset folks By My post abt Yr President, It kinda ran on a while, the point I was makin that I MISSED My fav tv programe, 2 wach YR elections & C who won...& vats basicaly abt it, I 2 like Argosy 20, DO not realy talk abt P/R/ & fins vat I KN nuffin abt...LOL, Once when We ALL visited a store in Orlando, there WAS A Father Christmas, He only had only spoken ONE word, YES one word & I kn He was was from BARNSLEY, He said EY-UP..., now that IS real Yorkshire, But on a Serious note, it matters NOT 4 Me where one comes from, it's wots INSIDE vat counts...wots in the Heart, I speak with lots of folk every day, it's part of My job, but I LUV 2 speak with U Guys, I once started askin total strangers in the Florida Mall where they came from, jus so I could kinda pinpoint their State , & NOT one minded at all...Now 2 sum of U, vat may appear 2B rude, but I was amazed that almost everyone was so polite...I expected...Whadda U wanna kn vat forrre...LOL. Yes it was a very pleasant shoppin day, despite My D/W & 3 D/D's & D/S puttin My Credit card in2 MELT-DOWN MODE...LOL
Well I guess I rambled on abt nuffin as usual, However I CAN assure U, I DO read as much as I can abt Yr A/S & problems & how U solve 'em, ect, & NOT jus use this forum as a chat box, I have My own lttl site 4 vat...so once agn, fanx 4 the Kind words, I realy DO enjoy readin U all, & I take Yr comments on board, & as I say, I'm jus Me, lttl 'ole LIMEY, nuffin special...jus Mr. average enjoyin an Accent of America...One of these days I'm gonna Ship out there 4 good...SIGH !!!...Chris.....
Old 03-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I actually understood every word of that without the need of pills or pints...

AIR # 410
Closed Thread