2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Not camping enough

It's been 2 weeks since we last camped. Seems an unbearably long time! :-(

Old 07-19-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
No kidding! Been over two weeks, and another five to go till the next trip. Glad I have a job but sometimes work just gets in the way.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Going Camping

It's funny, but when you fulltime the way I do, you also feel the urge to "go camping". I live in a time-share campground about 25-30 weeks a year, and stay at another local campground 10-12 weeks.

Doesn't feel like "camping" after a while, which is why I made the choice to change it up a bit more often. Here's a consideration. How many really nice places are there to camp within a 50 mile radius? Around here? Quite a few. So is there anything wrong with camping in a municipal campground six miles from your home? How about in a friend's now empty horse pasture for a weekend? I've lived in Virginia Beach for most of my adult life, but never stayed in Seashore State park until last year. Lovely destination - according to 40 other campers from all over the USA and Canada. Why aren't we ALL enjoying this kind of camping. Go to work in the morning, but come home, take off the tie, and light up the volcano cooker to make smores.

Paula
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Glad I have a job but sometimes work just gets in the way.
Ding ding ding!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Paula - I agree. We originally planned one trip a month and then after our first trip out, decided we HAD to find local sites we could visit Friday right after work for a couple nights - meaning, within 30 miles. Just have a few things going on these last 2 weekends...we'll get there. Loved your post!!
Old 07-20-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We are also wanting to go camping! Great idea!

My blogs: http://yrekahistory.blogspot.com
http://siskiyoucountycamping.blogspot.com
http://campingalongi-5.blogspot.com/
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've seen one grandmother at my main campground who has her grandkids come out for a couple of weeks every spring. She drives them to school and picks them up daily. They get the fun of "camping", she gets a nice long visit with the grandkids ... and mom and dad get an "at home" vacation to remember what life was about BEFORE the kids came along.

The parents do come out over the weekend and the whole clan including some other in-laws who also visit the camp have a big pig roast or reunion or birthday bash of some kind. Most of the group seem to live within 25 miles of here, but a few come to visit from over 100 miles away. NICE camping & family memories. I recently enjoyed teaching a few of the youngest ones how to make simple origami paper boats and float them in puddles in the road that drain into the canal (the stuff you can amuse a child with on a rainy day!)

Paula
Old 07-20-2013, 10:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Priceless Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I've seen one grandmother at my main campground who has her grandkids come out for a couple of weeks every spring. She drives them to school and picks them up daily. They get the fun of "camping", she gets a nice long visit with the grandkids ... and mom and dad get an "at home" vacation to remember what life was about BEFORE the kids came along.

The parents do come out over the weekend and the whole clan including some other in-laws who also visit the camp have a big pig roast or reunion or birthday bash of some kind. Most of the group seem to live within 25 miles of here, but a few come to visit from over 100 miles away. NICE camping & family memories. I recently enjoyed teaching a few of the youngest ones how to make simple origami paper boats and float them in puddles in the road that drain into the canal (the stuff you can amuse a child with on a rainy day!)

Paula
Paula,
You speak wisdom and truth. I married into a wonderful family who makes it a point to get together much as you describe above. For over 30 years we've made it a point to have "reunions" because of the great memories they engender. At Grandma and Grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary in 1986 one uncle stood up and said, "Let's do this every year, not waiting for weddings and funerals.!" At their 70th wedding anniversary we were all still getting together to enjoy each other, even tho many live thousands of miles away from "home" they make the effort to come. Now that Grandma and Grandpa are gone (96, each) we cherish those memories.

TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote