Old 01-16-2003, 07:30 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Nostalgia, Or How You Began RVing

While not necessarily Airstream related, I ran across these two photos late last night. The first is of the truck camper that my family purchased in 1969 after having listened to our friends stories about RVing (veteran Airstream owners having owned a 1957 Airstream that was followed by a brand new 1964 Airstream), and my pleas to go on camping trips like our friends. My parents weren't impressed by the idea of towing a trailer, and didn't want to invest in something as costly as an Airstream without knowing whether it would be used and enjoyed. The truck camper was not a hit with any of us and departed our family in 1971.

Later, in 1980, I ventured into RVing again. This time, it was with a travel trailer, but still not the Airstream that I wanted. All of my family and friends advised "buy new", and since I couldn't afford a new Airstream or Argosy for that matter the Nomad became a third choice. It was a nice trailer initially, but shortcuts in the build quality became apparent very quickly. In addition, after having an accident with the trailer in 1982, it was discovered that the trailer was beyond the weight rating of its axle even when completely empty. The Nomad became a part of my RVing history in 1982 a few months after the accident damage was repaired. The tow-vehicle shown with the trailer, however, is a keeper - - it is stored in my garage waiting its turn at restoration when it will become a tow vehcile for my Minuet and possibly see ocassional use with the Airstream. The photo was taken at Cloud Nine Ranch in Caufiled, Missouri in late summer of 1980.

I finally purchased the Airstream of my dream in 1995. A 1964 Overlander (mistakenly advertised by its previous owner as a 28' Ambassador) center twin that was identical to the one that my family's friends had purchased new in 1964. The interesting thing was that it was discovered about one year later that it was actually the trailer that my family's friends had owned.
The picture below is the trailer following its restoration in 2001-2002.

About the time that the restoration was nearing completion on the Overlander, I was again bitten by the Vintage Aluminum bug and purchased the 1978 Argosy Minuet pictured below.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
nice history Kevin, you should be proud of those two Airstreams, the first one is truly beautiful.

ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
It started way back

We were poor country folk. A neighbor had a set of Tom Swift books which she loaned to me one at a time. The seed was planted by reading "Tom Swift and His House on Wheels".

My first trailer was a little one-ended StarCraft popup to use for staying overnight at our soaring field. It was a real piece of trash, all staples and paper board with wood grain surface.

Next was a Scamp 5th-wheel. Terrific build quality, some questionable design. Like the Nomad in a previous post, tires and axle were overloaded. I upgraded the suspension, but the cramped interior finally induced me to sell it.

Third was a TrailManor 3124K lightweight folding hardside. Great interior space and easy to tow, but it just wasn't built for 10 to 15000 miles a year. I got rid of it before it fell apart.

Current, and last, I hope, is my 2003 International Airstream.
John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 10:49 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Kevin... Your thread here is taking me back a few years. Back in the early 70's my buddy and I built up these 3 wheel vehicles. These were our RV's at the time. Note camp ready with tent and sleeping bag. A couple wet weekends on the road soon turned us off to the idea and we moved on to something a little more conservative. Oh the things we came up with when we were younger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trikes.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1349  
Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:29 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member
1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan

You guys rode those things with slicks?!!
Jason & Veronica J.
S.E. Michigan
1955 Commodore Vanderbilt 30'
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2003, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master
1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario

Hi Jason...

The tires were Indy Racing tires on 18" wide rims. Very sticky with a micro tread. Driving on rain soaked roads was like driving a speed boat without a ruder. In the rain the tires would pull the water straight up into the air about 30 feet. Cool roostertails. I confess, not very practical. Sold mine at the first opourtunity.
Sure was a blast to drive though.

Airstreams..... The best towing trailers on the planet!
Road Ruler is offline   Reply With Quote