Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 AM   #57
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Is that the voice of experience?
Oh, yes! Which to me emphasizes one of the drawbacks of Easy-Off as a weapon of convenience. The spray button on top is cylindrical and it's not always easy to tell by feel if you have it pointed in the right direction. When I accidentally got a faceful, I had set the can down to answer the phone, and then picked it up again after the call— without checking to see if I picked it up in exactly the same orientation as when I set it down. Twenty agonizing minutes of eyewashing with a handheld shower nozzle (and a trip to my ophthalmologist) later, I had learned my lesson, which was, always wear safety goggles when using spray cleaners!

So if all I had ready to hand was Easy-Off, I'd use it, because I know from experience that it will at least slow down an attacker. But I'd take a few moments to make sure which way the nozzle was pointed first!

Bear spray and other self-defense sprays have activating devices that have ergonomic shapes which make it easy to tell by feel whether you have the business end pointed downrange. That alone makes them infinitely preferable to household sprays as defensive weapons.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:57 AM   #58
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Safety is similar to a fire extinguisher pin so it has a familiar operation as well, assuming the user is practiced in the use of a fire extinguisher.
And of course a fire extinguisher is also a field-expedient self-defense spray, as well as a suitable blunt object for smacking them upside the head when the spray runs out.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Curious, have you any actual experience with this method of personal defense?
When we lived in the Arctic intruders were often a problem including both Polar Bears and the 2-legged kind. Our local Staff Sargent with the RCMP commented one day that because I was away so much that it would be a good idea for Sharon (my wife) to keep a jug of Easy Off at the ready. If she had an intruder at the door (either 2 or 4 legged type) just use the Easy Off and then call them....

She never had to use it but a jug sat at our house door for more than 20-years!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:28 PM   #60
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
AF - Is "jug" a common name for a container, or does EO come in a bottle in Canada? Only seen it in a spray can here in the states. Pat
Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Yes jug is also a container. (sorry northern english) The stuff we have is in a spray bottle not a spray can. I have not looked lately, but I'm assuming it's still the same....

As you can see from the image it hard NOT to shoot it in the right direction and it's "Lemon Scented" (very important)......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s0433874_sc7.jpeg
Views:	58
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	259722  
Old 03-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I didn't read every post.

As to flashlights, I have two of these https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/ and it's ridiculously bright. Absolutely blinding in the night if you hit someone in the face with it, but it's small.

Another funny thing about this flashlight, I'm still on my first surefire battery from over two years ago. I might should change it.

Pepper spray is your next best friend. Get a "stream" version, and you can nail someone in the face from about 25 feet. and all it takes is a small blast, literally like a half second burst and it's over. Even if you hit them in the chest, that stuff hits the air and it's lights out on the vision. But buy a tester too, or a trainer as they call it.

I've been sprayed twice, and trust me, it sucks badly. The next three showers are very interesting too.

Just a wif of the stuff is awful.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I didn't read every post.

As to flashlights, I have two of these https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...ix-flashlight/ and it's ridiculously bright. Absolutely blinding in the night if you hit someone in the face with it, but it's small.

Another funny thing about this flashlight, I'm still on my first surefire battery from over two years ago. I might should change it.

Pepper spray is your next best friend. Get a "stream" version, and you can nail someone in the face from about 25 feet. and all it takes is a small blast, literally like a half second burst and it's over. Even if you hit them in the chest, that stuff hits the air and it's lights out on the vision. But buy a tester too, or a trainer as they call it.

I've been sprayed twice, and trust me, it sucks badly. The next three showers are very interesting too.

Just a wif of the stuff is awful.
Nice looking flashlight. To bad they don't ship to Canada!
Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM   #64
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticfox View Post
Yes jug is also a container. (sorry northern english) The stuff we have is in a spray bottle not a spray can. I have not looked lately, but I'm assuming it's still the same....

As you can see from the image it hard NOT to shoot it in the right direction and it's "Lemon Scented" (very important)......
Got it - no wonder we all struggle to communicate. That explains the two position head description you identified. Never seen that packaging. Lever trigger would make it easier to aim and would have saved Pro from that face wash. Are there constraints on aerosol packaging in Canada? Seems odd there would be different packaging specifications unless there was a customer or regulatory driver. But maybe we have it as an option and my oven cleaning experience is just challenged. Thanks - clean safe. Pat
Old 03-31-2016, 05:03 PM   #65
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
I ordered mine on amazon.com
Old 03-31-2016, 05:49 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I ordered mine on amazon.com
Thanks
Old 03-31-2016, 05:51 PM   #67
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Never seen that packaging. Lever trigger would make it easier to aim and would have saved Pro from that face wash. Are there constraints on aerosol packaging in Canada? Seems odd there would be different packaging specifications unless there was a customer or regulatory driver.
Not constraints, but broad consumer preference for containers that are easier to recycle. It probably started with CFCs years ago, but many of us just stopped buying aerosols if there was any other choice, and usually there was.

Jeff
Old 03-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
That light above has 900 lumens max. You can get a bicycle headlight up to 2,000 lumens. I saw one with a remote battery pack at 7,500 lumens. I bike commute in the dark in the am about 20 miles, my light is 650 lumens, a small handheld and is very bright.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:30 PM   #69
worried...happy...wo...ha

2015 25' FB International
Menlo Park , California
What about proper self defense training, perhaps taking a class? I think that the element of surprise and proper behavior in a tricky situation cannot be underestimated. We should all think about what could happen and how we would/could react. Then the question is how much can someone prepare or even train for such a situation. Honestly, I'd rather be fit, have self confidence, and a plan than scramble for the colt hidden somewhere in the closet. There might be certain strategies/scenarios one could imagine and a predetermined plan how to behave and deal with these situations. De-escalation comes to mind and then a surprise attack to gain the upper hand.

This said, in >50K miles and lots of tent camping, the Westfalia years, and 25K on the road with our airstream, we never felt treatened or unsafe in this country. Awareness of the surroundings, avoidance of conflicts, defensive driving, etc. are probably all part of this. Of course, there is always the element of luck. I've heard of more people who had an unlucky experience with their weapon (gun, knife for example when cleaning, playing, posing) than being overrun by some wacko when traveling in their trailer/RV.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:18 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Quote:

I purchased four of the 1,000 Lumins on Amazon. I would think they would ship to Canada. I keep mine on high, use one when I take the dogs out at night and early morning, battery only lasts about two weeks. SO, I also ordered the rechargeable version. Also, have one mounted under an HK 40 cal I have and use it for night shooting at our Sportman's Club.

Love the lights, blinding and they also have a rapid blinking on off feature that is even tougher on the eyes.

Bud

paiceman is online now   Reply With Quote