Old 09-19-2018, 04:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Peterborough , Ontario
No-seeums tiny pepper sized biting jaws

Good morning, we have been in a tent with no-serum bug proof screening. We are wondering how to deal with no -seeum bugs in our 1996 airstream excella 1000, new to us --as the screen is not no-seeum proof. Any tips are very much appreciated
Thanks for you help

Canoeguy1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:32 AM   #2
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
You can buy finer mesh screen to replace what you've got now

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:02 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Finer mesh screen might stop most of them, but you should also consider some kind of spray repellent IMO, and burning incense or candles inside, during their hours of invasion. The finer screen also cuts way down on air flow.

Let's be more precise about what kind of bugs are involved. Are you near a body of water, marsh, etc.? Fresh or salt? Do they only come out at a certain time of day/evening? A mountainous area perhaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

In our area, we have many salt water marshes which are famous for launching no-see-ums as the evening hours approach. The only repellent we have found effective -- without gobs of chemicals -- is Avon Skin-so-Soft, diluted 50/50 with water, and sprayed copiously on all exposed skin from a large spray bottle.

It works -- that is the good news.

Yes, you will smell like a man/woman of the night, cruising for "business!" Some folks cannot stand the smell . . . so get permission of your companions before embarking on this route!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- The chemical-heavy insect repellents may also work, but we try to avoid that especially with young 'uns around.
PS2 -- Replacing the AS screening is an art in itself. Search above in the blue box for "screen spline roller tool" and some recent on-topic posts will come up.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:40 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
You can retrofit your existing vehicle or trailer screens with no-see-um netting. Big job - it's on my To Do list for my own rig, but I haven't tackled it yet.

Why do RV manufacturers use mosquito screens?! I don't know, but I assumed it's because so many are located in far flung exotic places like Ohio where they remain blissfully unaware of what an absolute scourge from hell no-see-ums can be in the deep south.

If you get no-see-ums in your rig - and sometimes they are unbearably bad - crank your Fantastic. They are not strong flyers and have trouble landing on prey in turbulent conditions, and so you can suck them out whence they came, as a strategy for reducing your bites.

I designed my awning screen surround using no-see-um netting (instructions here). The idea was, if no-see-ums were really bad in the rig, I could close all the mosquito-screened windows and leave the slider open to the "screened-in porch". This until I get the window retrofit project completed.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote