Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2011, 08:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
No more DVD rentals?

Weird - I just decided to rent a couple OLD movies from my local Blockbuster store and... low and behold... it is closed! All three locations in my town have closed. Only one left in the county! They've replaced the stores with kiosks in the grocery store (like Red Box). But, of course, you can't get old movies from those boxes! So, you can also download them from Blockbuster Online - but I really don't want to watch it on my 19" computer when I have a 43" TV. What now? I presume there is some way to run the movie from my laptop to my TV/sterio but have noooo idea how. Just so weird that we used to be able to rent movies VHS - the DVD - then Blueray - now we can't get them at all.

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 08:35 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Depending on your computer and television export/import cable capabilities, you can send the movie from your lap top to your television via either an HDMI or VGA cable.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Get an Apple TV or Roku and stream movies from Netflix to your 43".
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Get an Apple TV or Roku and stream movies from Netflix to your 43".

I just started reading about this and my eyes glazed over... I guess for the 1 movie rental a month (through Brighthouse On Demand), the cost and effort of a new *device* isn't going to percolate very high on the priority list. I hardly every rent old movies (or else buy them). Luckily a neighbor just verified that he has 2 of the 3 movies I am looking for ...

Thanks for the thoughts!!! Unfortunately, I rank effing with connections (whether TV or computer) right up there with working on my yard sprinklers. Hell, I'd rather dig into my rear end issue than any electronics stuff!

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just run a cable from laptop to tv, one cord nice and easy. We rent from Amazon video downloads and watch free movies from Hulu.com on the big screen. It's nice having on demand and NO special equipment is needed beyond buying the cord that someone at the store can pick out for you.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you are into old movies, lots of retail at thift stores, our county has hospice, habitat housing, key center, salvation army, chuch stores, and even free at 4 libraries. Flea markets seem to have an abundance of them to peddle.
We have finally become addicted to DVR as storage for film and elimination of commercials from TV.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Our local library has over 2500 titles for nothing more than a library card (FREE). Many Disney titles that we are now in need of for a 6 year old. Saves big bucks. We liked it so much that we donated 20 of our older but well cared for DVD's to the cause.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Alas, when you're off the 'net' and boon docking, DVD's and even old VHS's seem to be the only choice...

Now that 'renting' an actual DVD locally seems doomed, you're stuck with the Netflix type, USPS service, but limited to the number of DVD's for your account......but almost impossible to deal with on the road...

I think there's a service that allows you to rent/download movies from the Net, but they are only viewable for a few days, I understand...these are large files and take lots of time to save, even with high speed internet access...

It's would be nice to have a service that allows multiple down loads to a large storage device (tetra drive, etc.) for longer 'rental' periods...you could the pre-load a bunch of movies before a boon docking trip to view at your leisure...

NOTE: many newer laptops (and desktops) are now equipped with HDMI receptacles which of course then allow direct, one cable connection to your flat screen TV with HDMI capabilities...the quality is quite good with a HD 1080p TV...

Older laptops can use the VGA and RCA type cables, but the quality is not as near a good as HDMI connections...

I've converted a bunch or our old VHS to DVD disc's using software and a small connection 'box' I purchased - there's several available...

Now that we're all committed to DVD formats, what will be next to force us to comment more money for new equipment?

We'll probably be using postage-stamp-sized 'chips' for movies (and of course the Net) before long, to be inserted into iPod like devices to wireless transmit the movies to our LED impregnated walls in the den for viewing...

On the road, we'll be able to 'unroll' a large LED laden 'tarp' on the side of our AS to watch movies around the campfire!..Or maybe a hologram type device that will 'perform' the movie right in front of the viewer - you'll be right in the middle of the action!...

The future is just around the corner... (profound observation!)
Old 04-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
I find this thread histerical and it may highlight my youth but... PEOPLE STILL RENT PHYSICAL MEDIA?

FUNKILL/Laura - Does your tv have bluetooth or a usb? If not and you want wireless connections you need to get a tv-bluetooth-usb adapter. They are easy and nothing like "messing with connections" or "sprinklers". HDMI cables are the easiest way but isnt that defeating the point of having a wireless laptop? Maybe not.

I do use postage sized stamp "chips" for movies, pictures, and music. SD and micro SD cards. Mostly I use a 500GB portable mini hard drive. Portable HD do not need shore power other than their ub and they draw power from the laptop. I have something like 300 movies (not hd), 5,000 songs and 20,000 pictures on it.

Mexray If you want a tarp with led's in it I can make one for you but the hologram you still have to wait for.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
You can also watch umpteen old movies on YouTube. Not a television, I know, but they are accessible and free.

Watched a funny one the other night. "The Out of Towners" (original one with Jack Lemmon and Sandy Dennis).
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #11
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
We recently discovered NetFlix, and we love it. Nothing to download, just search out the one you want and watch it. There's more to their interface than that, but let's just say it is dead easy to use, and very customizable.

LOTS of old movies, and a good number of new ones, too.

You can stream it to your laptop, play it on your TV through game machines, or like on our TV, the TV itself connects directly to the internet.

Eight dollars a month. What a steal!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Luis Obispo , California
Even young people still rent physical media...or at least I do...I'm lucky enough to live right down the street from a mom-and-pop type video rental store......the chain rental places in town all went out of business, but this place stuck it out and has our business multiple times a week. I also use netflix, but only for occasional streaming....the convenience of the video rental store just keeps beating the streaming selection on netflix
joelreh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
There is still something rustic and nice about physically going into a video store or library and checking out a DVD or book.

I know downloading and e-books are the way of the future, but getting out of the house (or trailer) is good for the mindset (at least most of the time) and physical movement is always beneficial.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #14
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, but I'm careful not to let them get too rustic, they will mess up the innards of my DVD player.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Apple TV

Laura,

Being an Apple person we use the Apple TV. A small devise that fits in your hand and allows you to download video and music from netflix and itunes, only $99 complete with a remote. We connect ours to a Sharp flat screen TV with a built in DVD player. We have found the built in DVD very useful. Usually picking up discs at thrift shops and trading with other campers at campgrounds. Works great last a long time. My daughter picked up a playstation at a garage sale and downloads from netflix with good results. Only thing the playstation is much larger than the Apple TV.
fltlevel510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 01:38 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
laura, post the model number of your laptop and someone will tell you the possibilities for an easy tv connection.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
These can be saved and played any time. I use a PC.
Watch Free Movies Online - Free Movies Action, Documentary, Cartoon, Animation, thriller, Horror, Comedy, Sci-fi, Play flash games, no download, stream
Hulu - Watch your favorites. Anytime. For free.

Then there's FOX on demand and lots of others.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Great idea, but sadly, it's only available in the US.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Yes, but I'm careful not to let them get too rustic, they will mess up the innards of my DVD player.
Aage, as we say here on the westcoast, we don't tan - we rust. One learns to be a Rainforest Ramboette. The aluminum A/S bunker helps!

Signed,
"Rusticating" in B.C.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:09 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Great idea, but sadly, it's only available in the US.
I didn't know that. I wonder how the content is stopped at the border??
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote