Old 03-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Yeah, I get those every day in my mailbox. (My email addresses are very widely known from my work at the university and in the web business.) What's more interesting is that we've recently received some similar ones in our business email here at the RV park from folks in Africa wanting to "rent accommodations" from us. Bizarre.

Lynn

Old 03-16-2006, 03:52 PM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Steph, I am sorry for your misfortune but it sounds like time for family to chip in on the cost of a good probate lawyer. Isn't it sad that there are people who would take advantage of us even after we're gone?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Oh, it's not the estate, that was all finished and closed out with the help of lawyers two years ago. I think these guys just got her name off of some public records saying she got an insurance payout from my aunt's insurance, and they're using that little bit of publicly available information to try and scam her out of her SS# and account numbers. The scammers are getting smarter, and they're using public records to fool people by showing up with information that makes them sound legit. We've advised her to call the police and talk to them about these guys, but she's an adult and does what she wants. The scammers know that people will take more chances with the lure of money held in front of them. I think it's infuriating!

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
How lucky can a guy get? I'm packing my bags!
Here's the message:

"From : Lotto Manager . South African
2010 World cup lottery online 2006
Lottery Headquarters: 210-211 Universal Building
Parkhaust, Balfour Unit 1440
Johannesburg, South Africa
Batch: ( 18/006/1094/LIPDA/SL.)

CONGRATULATIONS FOR YOUR WINNING:

We happily announce to you the draw of South African...
...to claim a total sum of US$2,100,000.00 (Two million, One Hundred Thousand United States Dollars) in cash credited to file Number (KPC/9030108308/03). This is from a total cash prize of US ($200,000,000.00)shared among the first 200 Hundred and lucky winners in this category world-wide. Please note that your lucky winning number falls within our lottery booklet representative office in South Africa as indicate in the play coupon.
Hey Rog,

congrats!!! We won in the same lottery, but 10 times and now we are heading to our new home here. Hope to welcome you on a neighbouring island. How about an Airsteam Park here??

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 05:00 PM   #19
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pschoerrn
Hey Rog,
congrats!!! We won in the same lottery, but 10 times and now we are heading to our new home here. Hope to welcome you on a neighbouring island. How about an Airsteam Park here??
Bjoern
yes absolutely. I'll meet you on the beach, you will recognize me by the dunb look on my face and my pale Michigan skin.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 03-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
try this one

Talk about scams!..my mom got her bank statement a couple of months ago..turns out this ring of criminals somehow got a hold of her checking account routing number, used a computer to make fake checks, pasting the routing number on it, then used her bank's name and address on the check, and put their own account name and address..apparently this woman wrote several checks worth about #500 (but wisely wrote checks in small amounts here and there, thus allowing them to be cashed by the beauty salon shop)..my mom showed me a photocopy of the statement the bank sent..interestingly, the bank's logo was not copied and pasted...she closed the account, but not before several more checks went through the following month..good thing the bank covers the amout!..apparently there are these rings of thieves in different cities..serves as a lesson to diligently check your monthly statements..she hasn't or probably will never try online banking, although that's not 100 % foolproof..
Old 03-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Don't get burned on your new island Rog, tan BEFORE you go

Here's a link that will give you chills. Ever think you're safe tearing up those unwanted credit card applications...

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/cred...lication.shtml

You know, it's bad enough there are scammers who have nothing but time to dig through someones garbage or steal their mail, but at least the banks and bank card companies should try and make it a little hard for them to get away with it!

Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #22
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
I use a burn barrel which might violate a county ordinance so please don't tell anyone.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:24 PM   #23
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Don't get burned on your new island Rog, tan BEFORE you go

Here's a link that will give you chills. Ever think you're safe tearing up those unwanted credit card applications...

http://www.cockeyed.com/citizen/cred...lication.shtml

You know, it's bad enough there are scammers who have nothing but time to dig through someones garbage or steal their mail, but at least the banks and bank card companies should try and make it a little hard for them to get away with it!
I shred the application and mail it back to them...in their pre-paid envelope

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Someone two weeks ago hacked into (they won't say who's) database, got my info, and emptied my checking account using my ATM card number.
I now have a new card, and the money is supposed to be replaced soon. By the bank. However, in the meantime, I am without my cash, and could be racking up major late charges on everything I normally pay for out of my checking account, you know, like the cable bill, electric, mortgage, etc...
It could be worse, as eventually I will get it back.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:53 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Bummer, Terry. Seems like they should get that fixed up BEFORE you end up in trouble with everyone you need to pay - seein' as how they're the ones who got hacked!

Speaking of bank fraud, we got this great email today:

Quote:
Your online credit card account has high-risk activity status. We are contacting you to remind that on March 27 2006 our Account Review Team identified some unusual activity in your account. In accordance with Chase Bank User Agreement and to ensure that your account has not been compromised, access your account was limited. Your account access will remain limited until this issue has been resolved.
We encourage you to log in and perform the steps necessary to restore your account access as soon as possible. Allowing your account access to remain limited for an extended period of time may result in further limitations on the use of your account and possible account closure.

Login to your limit account and restore online access:
<scam link removed>

Ahem..notice the date they found the fraud? I love a bank that travels through time to watch out for their customers Can you say 'phishing scam'? I knew you could!