Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithC
Silver Streak, Avion, Aerolite and Startan are all names long gone from manufacturing for a reason. Airstream is and should be the penicale, and for good reason. Iit is the best of the group.
The difference was numbers- no one still wanted the business, except when Beatrice needed a write-off- so Airstream was a perfect way to lose money.

Aeroflites people went to prison.

Silver Streak lost their touch. The 3 partners who bought it from Curtiss-Wright were probably old and lost interest. Some of those 70's MoHo's were hideous.

Spartan was finished with trailers in the late 50's- but probably made more money than Airstream did- even to this day. Place was owned by JP Getty.

I think you mean pinnacle- I have no idea what "penicale" is.

Even now, the differences in the construction between a 1946 Spartan Manor and a new Airstream give anyone who can really open one up and look at it an idea that they were MUCH better built. The floors in Airstreams are ready to rot with the slightest moisture- a 46 Manor was thin and waterproof- and they were built in a true aircraft plant. The pressed aluminum parts on the corners are amazing.

Thor or some other conglomerate will always own Airstream, because they sell- mainly due to the fact that the older ones built pre- mid 60's were simpler, lighter, and better designed. Thats the reputation they live off of. If they started with the same thing as what they made in the 1970's- they'd have died in 2-3 years.

I especially like how they decided to lighten the steel in the frame when they built the particle board interior- that was a real winner...

Old 08-25-2007, 10:54 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
It's so funny sometimes how people will stretch the truth to get their adds noticed. I saw this one and had to laugh. Now I ask you what part of this one is like an Airstream?

Oh I see they both have wheels.

Aluminum Camper - 1962 Yellowstone - like airstream

Old 08-25-2007, 11:04 AM   #31
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover
It's so funny sometimes how people will stretch the truth to get their adds noticed. I saw this one and had to laugh. Now I ask you what part of this one is like an Airstream?

Because it is aluminum?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Almost Always Sunny Sarasota , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
Because it is aluminum?
Now how did I miss that??

TEE HEE
Old 08-25-2007, 03:52 PM   #33
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbaggy
Spartan was finished with trailers in the late 50's- but probably made more money than Airstream did- even to this day. Place was owned by JP Getty.

Even now, the differences in the construction between a 1946 Spartan Manor and a new Airstream give anyone who can really open one up and look at it an idea that they were MUCH better built. The floors in Airstreams are ready to rot with the slightest moisture- a 46 Manor was thin and waterproof- and they were built in a true aircraft plant. The pressed aluminum parts on the corners are amazing.
i have had 2 1946 Spartan Manors....and one 1947.....mostly just shells....but well built with a masonite floor that was just as strong 60 years later.....60 years....look at some of the manors that have been redone...unbelievable....

i went to camping world and bought 2 new full replacement vents for my airstream....both were leaking...i have one of the remote control vents for living room so i can do all 3 on sunday...

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabLover

Aluminum Camper - 1962 Yellowstone - like airstream
Mr.Saab,thanks for posting the ad! That was my whole point of this thread! Brian
Old 09-06-2007, 11:05 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
There are things I certainly like about Airstream: the door hinges, the suspension, etc. I wish my trailer had.

That said, an Airstream simply is not a better built unit past a point in time as one post above had it. Like GM, they've coasted for a long time.

This Silver Streak we have has had some repairs due to leaks the previous owner let slide. Other than that I'll wager it has less problems than an Airstream of its size and age. Frame separation? Interior walls that look flyspecked? Etcetera.

Wally Byam was a helluva salesman. As a result, A/S had more money to play with than the competition. But the demise of big cars, inflation, reduced vacation time, women entering the work force hit the entire RV industry hard in the 1970's and 80's. Plenty of good companies went by the wayside (Ever seen an FMC motorhome spec? A/S motorhomes are a joke by comparison).

No one is going to take away Airstream predominance in aluminum-bodied trailers. In the same way if these brands went under tomorrow, we'd still call all of the competitive products "Kleenex", "Xerox", "Tampax". Or, "like an Airstream".

The ease of service has no comparison between Silver Streak and Airstream. I can access from the interior ANY accessory or system in under one minute (except electrical wiring). I don't know of any techs with a problem working on my trailer, but I've had two turn me down when they confused it with an Airstream (the words "old" and "Airstream" rang alarm bells). The 300+ cubic feet of storage we have. The enormous (by comparison) shower and bath. And a dry weight of 6,800-lbs for a '34 trailer. (See signature for our full-timing weight).

And, yeah, the fit and finish is miles better than a comparable Airstream. So what. That was, AND IS, part of its appeal. Airstreams are plasticky and peeling. Again, so what?

Didn't stop a whole lot of you from re-doing yours. Pictures of work I admire. I look through lots of them to show to my wife, "Hey, look at what these Airstreamers did here . . cool huh?"

And I'll be d&*^ glad to never strip and polish I don't know how many hundreds of square feet of aluminum skin.

I think the Streamlines are truly cool, and I doubt I'd ever have the bucks to thoroughly re-do a Spartan. Now there was the aluminum trailer with no contenders.

And for the bitterness above, hey, I'll never see myself at every turn in the highway in an aluminum trailer as generic as a Chevy or Ford. Guess you wouldn't enjoy the fun when I find a few Airstreamers at an RV park and invite them along to "see a real trailer"

Lighten up. I saw enough of this stuff in the old car forums. Get an old Camaro and put some air shocks on the back. It's beside the point of the appeal for any of these trailers.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
colorado springs , Colorado
You dont have to worry about a sales pitch like that from me. Cause I ain't selling.

I see the Airstream Vs. Avion argument come up every so often here. It is the AIRSTREAMforums, so it would be bad form for me to trash-talk the 'streams.
Not that I would. For one, I like Airstreams, for another, I really cant compair the two.
The only Airstream Ive ever been in was a '63 Flying Cloud I looked at when shopping around.
It was towed up here from the California coast where it had been sitting in a field for 20 years. Not the ideal storage conditions. But I was able to inspect both the oven and the belly pan from the same location in the galley.
From what I learned on this forum I knew that the old gal would be a good project for somebody, but way more than what I could handle.

In contrast, the '63 Avion T-20 I bought was in servicable condition with a solid floor and frame for $300 less than the Airstream. But it was in Colorado all it's life and only sat for 5 years. So I cant even compair how the 2 brands held up to the environment.

You cant get a more Apples to Oranges compairison than that.

Likewise, I wouldnt try to pass my rig off as an Airstream. For one, the big, black AVION on the front should be a dead giveaway. For another, its a good conversation starter in camp. "Say, thats a nice, old Airstream you got yourself there. " Answer- "No it isnt"

Its a shame the way that Avion went went after Fleetwood got ahold of them. With no reall competition out there, I would'nt consider buying anything but an Airstream if its less than 20 years old.
Thats not likely to happen though, I have limited driveway space and wouldnt want to part with the Avion to make room.

Except for maybe a Bluebird Wanderlodge, then I could use it to pull my Avion
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
All other factors being equal there just aren't nearly as many vintage SOB aluminum coaches out there. You would think the limited supply would cause them to fetch a higher price but that's not so. Most people who want a vintage coach have the "Airstream" stereotype in their mind and that's what they go looking for.

If I had a SOB for sale I certainly would want it seen by the greatest numbers so I would have it listed with Airstreams.

I agree with the above comments that some SOBs are built or engineered in some ways better than comparable Airstreams, but, Airstream was and still is the paradigm SOBs use as a base line.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
1972 25' Tradewind
1962 30' Sovereign
Navarre , Florida
"My Airstream can beat up your SOB unit." Well if it can't then my other Airstream can. I have to say one thing about this thread, it gave me a bit more respect for certain SOB trailers. Growing up I fell in love with Airstreams on the road. The were simply very cool. As an adult that's what I wanted when I bought my 2 Airstreams. That having been said of the 2 different trailers my family had while I was growing up, one bing a Kit (nice floorplan, but not very well built) and a Barth (built like a tank), I agree some respect needs to be given to past makers of SOB trailers. We as a family had to full time in both of these different travel trailers. The Barth we used to live in for a year as we built our family home when I was a teen, was already 20 years old in the mid 70's, but still solid and dry. Whatever happen to them as a company I really don't know, but That trailer was awesome. Period of time makes a difference too. My 1959 Flying Cloud is built much better than our 1972 Tradewind. I love them both for different reasons, and that Barth and I bonded back when I was a teen. Barth may not be an icon like Airstream is, but it has my respect for being a great trailer. Given that Airstream stayed around from the early days tilll now makes it winner of the trailer wars, but it might have lost a few battles along the way against SOB units that were pretty awesome in their own right. If I get a chance to find some old pictures of our Barth I will post them on here in this thread. As to the original post in this thread, sellers use name Airstream because thats what the market understands as a comparsion. When I mention our old Barth people don't have a clue, but when I say Airstream they get it.
Watch your habits, they become your character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.
apolaroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:26 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Owner of Both

I am a "silver addict." I love the shape of the AS and the Avion. I love them for different reasons. I bought my first AS in 1981, kept it for 6 months and turned a profit. I saw potential in this kind of business. The second AS I bought in 1982 It was a 1964 Bambi II. Needless to say, I had the brains to keep this one. It is definately the head turner of the campground, still today. Every time I camp, the AS Bambi II draws "lookers" to my campsite.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
We love our Airstream. Just love the trailer you have or make a change.
Like people: all have fine attributes ..all have faults.

Enjoy life. Enjoy the travel.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:41 PM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Just try to imagine this happening.....

An SOB is pulled in at a rest area. Guy walks over to the the owner and says: "I didn't know they still made these"...........

Aint going to happen in this life time is it?

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 01:13 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Here we go again > eBay Motors: Vintage SILVER STREAK Trailer - better than Airstream (item 320175894629 end time Nov-04-07 14:39:29 PST) Better than,and even cheaper than!

Brian,the proud (2nd) owner of aluminum 1986 '32 Airstream Argosy (Squarestream) #305 Rare? It's either the Hemi Cuda of all Airstream's,or their Edsel.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote