Old 08-24-2007, 06:24 PM   #15

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
doorgunner's comment about wanderer1's Avatar is great; I really needed a chuckle today, thanx!

Another thing - there ain't no Avion, Silver Streak, or Thor junk box displayed at the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art. That officially makes Airstream an icon of design, period.

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 06:41 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
DG, you've got it wrong, and I don't appreciate the gratuitous slur on the South.

It's when your sister leaves you for your uncle that she gets the trailer. If it's your cousin, all she gets is the truck, most times.

And we Virginians say this is true in WV, not the South, anyway.

Pat

Old 08-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
Kiss my ARGOSY!
Old 08-24-2007, 08:24 PM   #18
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
just got back......

just got back from a couple of hours in the airstream....89 Landyacht...Squarestream...pictures located in proper folder.....

its raining outside here in central florida now....finally....6 hours so far this afternoon...

i spent 2 hours pulling the front walls and ceiling panels out of the airstream....i mean pulling them out and throwing them on the floor....3 vents to replace and the a/c was leaking too....all 3 front windows leaking....door case leaking....roof seals lower of awning leaking....back bedroom....ceiling and walls out....curtains out....everything off floor...

not alot of water inside...just enough to see wet on the interior wall runs...and in the window case lowers....if i am going to fix this trailer i might as well do it right....i dont want to have to do this again in a couple of years...

just to check....i went into my 1962 Avion T-20 which is parked 10 feet away....dug and dug......not a drop of water....just where my sneaks were wet coming in on the floor....

been in a couple of silver streaks, streamlines, canned hams, yellowstones over the past couple of years and sorry to say many just like airstreams when in as found condition...rotted floors, rotted walls, mold everywhere, carpet rot, frame rot, frame rot, rot everywhere....

dont get me wrong....i love airstreams....Avions are just built better....like tanks....i will agree that some i have seen interiors that look like dark woods at night....but i have never seen one with pee yellow and snot green interiors...like a safari i had....and never seen plastic cabinets or abs shower stalls....

ok.....i will admit i love airstreams....and avions i will come out of the closet and say i am BI

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I gotta say that the 1972 Silver Streak I looked at before I bought our Sovereign was definitely an eye-catcher! The one thing I do like about the SS over the AS is the bathroom, specifically the shower. Not having to worry about water splashing everywhere is nice. All of the SS I have looked at had wood cabinets; my 1968 Streamline had the metal "locker room" cabinets Stef spoke of, and I disliked them very much, especially when I cut myself on them. I do like the TV cabinet in the SS, the way it slides out.

Frederic

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:08 PM   #20
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Ain't it great we got what they compare to? Life is indeed, grand!
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:06 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Wally vs Hawley, vs Glenn-

Sorry to offer a different opinion-

Wally was a sales person, for Hawley Bowlus. Hawley Bowlus was a co-owner of Bowlus-Teller aircraft- a true aircraft manufacturing company. Bowlus was an innovator and a genius- Byam, a salesman.

After the war- Curtiss Wright employed Byam, to start their own trailer, which was sold later and turned into Silver Streak- do your research on Glenn Curtiss, you'll be amazed. The "Wright" comes from Orville and Wilbur. One more aircraft company.

Aeroflite- much better built than Airstream. Spartan, MUCH better built and designed- ever tow one? Both aircraft based.

Byam was a salesman, thats all- pulling apart an Airstream reveals a LOT of inadequacies. I like them, I'll always like them, but there are LOTS better, built by true aircraft facilities, and just because more people bought and recognized and collect early Volkswagens, doesn't mean I think they're better built than a Mercedes 300 Gull Wing.

Fight on...
Old 08-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Silver Streak, Avion, Aerolite and Startan are all names long gone from manufacturing for a reason. Airstream is and should be the penicale, and for good reason. Iit is the best of the group.
Old 08-25-2007, 02:17 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Post Reply from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
wanderer1,
Put me down on the Avion side, I like them.
So if you don't own a Airstream you're just somebodies cousin?And in the south if you're married to your cousin does she get the trailer when she leaves you for your uncle?
I'm still confused.
Then those that own airstreams are better than others? sounds kinda central european to me.
Gunner,gee,I don't know what I have.It says Argosy on the title,and the tag inside the door reads "by Airstream". If you read all the different areas on the forum,You'd know about my 'ol rare aluminum Argosy! The point of this thread is the non-Airstream (sob) seller's list their t/t's under the Airstream keyword to get attention, that their brand (Avion,S.S.,etc) must not get on their own (don't know why?) F.Y.I.,I'am not southern pal,just relocated here. Your comment had no affect on me.I was born and raised in La,Ca ,Suprise,suprise,suprise! But I'am sure your comments offended quite a few people on the forums.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:05 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields
just got back from a couple of hours in the airstream....89 Landyacht...Squarestream...pictures located in proper folder.....

its raining outside here in central florida now....finally....6 hours so far this afternoon...

i spent 2 hours pulling the front walls and ceiling panels out of the airstream....i mean pulling them out and throwing them on the floor....3 vents to replace and the a/c was leaking too....all 3 front windows leaking....door case leaking....roof seals lower of awning leaking....back bedroom....ceiling and walls out....curtains out....everything off floor...

not alot of water inside...just enough to see wet on the interior wall runs...and in the window case lowers....if i am going to fix this trailer i might as well do it right....i dont want to have to do this again in a couple of years...

just to check....i went into my 1962 Avion T-20 which is parked 10 feet away....dug and dug......not a drop of water....just where my sneaks were wet coming in on the floor....

been in a couple of silver streaks, streamlines, canned hams, yellowstones over the past couple of years and sorry to say many just like airstreams when in as found condition...rotted floors, rotted walls, mold everywhere, carpet rot, frame rot, frame rot, rot everywhere....

dont get me wrong....i love airstreams....Avions are just built better....like tanks....i will agree that some i have seen interiors that look like dark woods at night....but i have never seen one with pee yellow and snot green interiors...like a safari i had....and never seen plastic cabinets or abs shower stalls....

ok.....i will admit i love airstreams....and avions i will come out of the closet and say i am BI
Mr.Leefields,hate to bust your bubble,but the ONLY thing that has broke in my Argosy (squarestream) in the last two years is a Water hose that goes from the camper to the outside (campground) fixture.
Old 08-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by leefields

Avion used the Mor-Ryde suspension too. It is still used on horse trailers to this day. My boss, and best friend, has several horse trailers that have this suspension. They ABSOLUTELY float! Much better than a torsion axle. Built like a tank too!
I have looked at a lot of Avions too. The late 70's do not seem to have the leaking seams issues that most Airstreams and Argosys have.
A little history about Avion... They were bought by Fleetwood. That is like a long funeral for any trailer!
I love Airstreams but they are not THE best at everything.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:40 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1990 25' Airstream 250
Altoona , Georgia
Thumbs up One vote for Avion

I full timed five years+ in a 1988 34' Avion and I maintain they are really great trailers. They were far better than Airstream during the Beatrice years. The Avions were pretty much trouble free units but they were heavy and you needed a good T/V.

The last ones were built in 1989 and then Fleetwood stopped production and kept the name for a upscale fifth wheel that was plagued with problems.

Airstream most likely would have failed had Thour not bought them and I agree that Airstream is the best on the market today but Avion, SilverStreak, and several others earned their places in History and I think unfair to bash them. I should point out I liked other failures - Packard, Hudson, Auburn, Duesenberg -

So, as we Avion owners used to say "keep your cereal boxes upright"
Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
ocala , Florida
I'am the proud owner of the "Ford Edsel" of Airstream's The 305th one ever produced!!!
Old 08-25-2007, 09:39 AM   #28
DayStreamer

2001 19' Bambi
Mesa , Arizona
I love my Airstream and wouldn't trade it for anything -- however, my experience with Avions is that they are a VERY well made trailer. I do believe the Avions I've been in have been stronger built than my Airstream and with very high quality interiors. On the other hand, they seem to be quite a lot heavier and we all know there are always trade-offs. To my point, our 19' Bambi suits my wife and I and our two dogs and a cat just fine, but it would never do for someone who owns a 25 footer.

02 Avalanche

Mesa Arizona
AIR #5591

grizzy is offline   Reply With Quote