Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2004, 01:12 PM   #1

Orange , Massachusetts
Question newbie

I have worked a deal with the new company I'm going to work for to, instead of flying me all around and renting cars and hotels to get me an Airstream Bambi and a GMC to pull the thing. (I've done that deal for over 10 years and am tired of traveling that way.) As of now I have an okay to spend the money, but I have not actually bought anything yet. I (and my Scotty dog) will travel all over America in this thing, making sales calls (I sell cigars) and on week-ends square-dancing and fishing. I want to put a small boat on top of the truck. The Airstream will have a graphic wrap of the logos of the company I work for. I get to keep the whole rig after 5 years. So, my questions are many, what do you folks think of this plan? I've never had a camper, but camp in my tent about 15 times a year. My machanic told me to make sure to get a 373? rear-end. I would like to get be best gas milage possible. I would also like to keep the truck size small. I'm sure you folks will have some things I need to know.
Marhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
What a coincidence. I SMOKE cigars. Got any samples?

Welcome and keep us informed as to the outcome of your venture. It should be a lot of fun. I hate living out of hotel rooms.

-BobbyW

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Wow! What a deal. I once worked for a large company and convinced them to allow me to take my Harley Electroglide everywhere. I put 20,000 miles on it in one year but boy did I have fun. The year before I earned 22 airline frequent flyer tickets and life was a drag... Seeing it all by ground is very different. Good for you!!! I'd go for it!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Whatta great plan!!

Sounds like a much better way to travel than the current airline and cheapo-motel concepts.. There are a number of searchable "threads" on selection and towing vehicles and trims and options etc.. An hour or two (or more via modem..) browsing the site and searching for key words is time well spent..

Having said that, I'd weigh in with some "recommendations"...

The 19' Bambi with dinette and better bath is likely to be more comfy over time than the 16'.. Weight difference not very significant. As my wife has said since we started, there are only 5 requirements to enjoy camping: Real bed, real A/C, flush toilet, shower and hot/cold running water in the sink.. Other items from icemakers to generators to TV/entertainment systems are bonus extra's.. If smoke is an issue, get the Fantastic Vent fans, which move lots of air in or out...

If it's going to double as office/showroom, you may want to be sure there is room and wiring for PC, displays, laptop, networking etc. Several members have noted that 802.11 WiFi doesn't work so well inside double-walled shielded aluminum container... Good luck, and let us see picture when graphics applied to outside!

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:26 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to silver suz
Yep, living in a steel framed home with aluminum wrapped walls I can tell you remote or mobile phones dont work well. I'd go for the 19" Bambi too. Will you use the trailer as your office? Nova kool has small fridges for wine and stuff. do you need to keep cigars at the proper temp and humidity?- these would help and are pretty small. Available at marine supply and compact appliances. silver suz Add a front and tail extension to make it look more like a cigar??? : ))
silver suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
That is so very cool...

... and probably a very good deal for the company, too, because on the clock or not, you'll be a walking, talking, towing presence ...

such astuteness & flexibility on the company's part probably bodes well for your happiness there....
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 11:37 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

My two cents would be to get them to go for the International CCD in a 22 ft. Although we love the AS model, the CCD has a flare that might fit the corporate image.
Gerald Clay is offline   Reply With Quote