Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
I think we need to just slow down, and not conflate two very different situations.

OP was talking about a classifieds scam... and somehow, folks are throwing in the Nigerian Prince affair as another "scam".

Let me tell you, that Nigerian Prince has a serious, and legitimate need. We're talking about tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of loyal subjects who are in danger of being de-citizened in the event this Prince doesn't secure some serious naira.

I, for one, am proud to know that I helped this noble man in his time of need, and I'm shocked- shocked I tell you, to see people on this forum disparaging him.

Incidentally, I've just received an email informing me of a large sum of money bequeathed to me by a distant relative in Nigeria.
You see? No good deed goes unpunished, errr... unrewarded.
Once I forward my bank account, routing numbers, SS, DL and DOB.. they'll be "transacting monies to the your persons account, instantaneous."
Old 02-13-2015, 09:07 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
I have won gazillions of $$$$ from all over the world, even from places I have not heard of, through the notifications on email...how do they know I should be the one privileged recipient of all this money..in US dollars!

DELETE
Old 02-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
The Microsoft call saying you have a problem with Widows and they need to help clean your PC is a good one.

Tell them you don't have a computer and they tell you "You have to have one" I got a laugh at the guys confusion when he couldn't accept the fact I didn't have a computer he could fix for me. After few minutes of trying to convince me I had a computer he hung up.

Lots of scams out there be careful.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:33 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I also have received these notifications on email, I simply click on scam & delete, never open them. Wife had ph. call saying they are irs that we owed money pay or go to prison,even listed there ph. # these scammers are not bright, but there a lot of gullible people that believe them and send money.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I really enjoy the "window's" calls. I kept the guy on line for about 15 min one evening, asking him about getting my windows fixed. He finally fiqured it out, after I asked him about 3 times if they did doors too, that I was scamming him. If you keep them on the phone, it prevents them from bothering others, and can give you a good laugh. Have fun and waste their $$$.
ACI #7394
2012 GMC 2500 HD Duramax Denali
1994 Excella 34'
1987 Limited 34', 1976 31', 1976 Argosy 22' Gone to new homes
Hensley Hitch
CBWELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Their is no room in this world for hackers. They should be sought out and executed. Obviously I've been touched by a hacker. I now pay cash for everything, and leave minimum bank balance.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:18 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Got a scam call today on our security system. The called, India accent with lots of noise in the background, told me because we had our particular system for three years we are entitled to an upgrade. We have not had it three years, but he had my name and phone number and the manufacturer of the system. I asked him why the service provider was not calling and he said that it's a manufacturers program. I hung up, called our security provider and it's a total scam. The people at our security company said we probably would have been asked our security code and password and once given they could then go on line and get ALL personal information and access to credit card info.

They are everywhere. The BIG one now is IRS tax refunds. They get your social security number and once they have that they can file a false income tax for 2014 and get a refund. The IRS pays out billions to these false filings.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
They are everywhere. The BIG one now is IRS tax refunds. They get your social security number and once they have that they can file a false income tax for 2014 and get a refund. The IRS pays out billions to these false filings.
Federal programs are like ATM machines for (dis)organized crime dispensing multimillion dollar payouts; at the taxpayers expense.

With 0bamacare being the grandaddy of them all.
By the time the Feds figure out a fraudulent angle on the 'affordable healthcare act', they'll have bilked millions (hundreds of millions), and have moved on to a new scam angle to start all over again.

All the others are small potatoes in comparison. IRS, Medicare/aid, SS, disability, welfare, etc....
Old 02-13-2015, 04:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
Federal programs are like ATM machines for (dis)organized crime dispensing multimillion dollar payouts; at the taxpayers expense.

With 0bamacare being the grandaddy of them all.
By the time the Feds figure out a fraudulent angle on the 'affordable healthcare act', they'll have bilked millions (hundreds of millions), and have moved on to a new scam angle to start all over again.

All the others are small potatoes in comparison. IRS, Medicare/aid, SS, disability, welfare, etc....

Everything has to be political these days, doesn't it?

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:46 PM   #30
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
New Scam-BEWARE

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondockdad View Post
I think we need to just slow down, and not conflate two very different situations.

OP was talking about a classifieds scam... and somehow, folks are throwing in the Nigerian Prince affair as another "scam".

Let me tell you, that Nigerian Prince has a serious, and legitimate need. We're talking about tens of thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of loyal subjects who are in danger of being de-citizened in the event this Prince doesn't secure some serious naira.

I, for one, am proud to know that I helped this noble man in his time of need, and I'm shocked- shocked I tell you, to see people on this forum disparaging him.

Incidentally, I've just received an email informing me of a large sum of money bequeathed to me by a distant relative in Nigeria.
You see? No good deed goes unpunished, errr... unrewarded.
Once I forward my bank account, routing numbers, SS, DL and DOB.. they'll be "transacting monies to the your persons account, instantaneous."

I also feel for these poor guys! They're MORE than willing to pay you for your effort. I'm disheartened by the hardness of soul of people today. Your grandparents would be so disappointed! Thank you, boondockdad! You are a generous, kind, loving individual! Enjoy your fortune, and all the good karma coming your way!

-Red, compassion personified...
Old 02-13-2015, 04:57 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
I found a wonderfu lwebsite to help these poor Nigerian people. Look at "419 Eater" on the web, and you can spend hours seeing how other peiole have "helped" these poor people. Some of the best laughs I have had for a long time.
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 02-13-2015, 04:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1994 34' Excella
Warren , Manitoba
Soory about the spelling errors, I was laughing so hard!!!
ACI #7394
1994 Excella 34'
Hensley Hitch
Old 02-13-2015, 05:06 PM   #33
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Oh sure, like we're going to click on some unknown, obscure website... We weren't born yesterday! Quit trying to use the Nigerian Prince's need to promote your scam!

Mod's, can't we ban this scammer or something???

-Red, on to your sneaky tricks...
Old 02-13-2015, 05:18 PM   #34
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
this is one of the many reasons why we, my family and any one i can convince to do this, have a credit freeze on all three of our credit files.

if you listen to Clark Howard, clarkhoward.com, on the radio like i do you will hear this said time after time..

do a google search "credit freeze" and learn more. the credit monitoring sites like lifelock and other are WORTHLESS in most cases and can cost 100 of dollars..

Go to creditkarma.com and do free credit monitoring, plus you can get a copy of your credit report from one, trans union, credit reporting agency.

there are three in total. Equifax, Experian, Trans Union

READ, LEARN, DO...
I have mentioned this before, and it may help relieve stress on some while traveling. Every time we go to NZ for 3 months, we take out VISA money cards, which are the new travelers checks. You just load the card up with up to 5k, and use them just like a credit card. You are never leaving your personal credit card #s as you travel, or purchase online. They can be tracked on line to check your purchases, and you can reload them anytime. They have an account #, an expiration date, and the three digit code on back.
We have regular credit cards, but when I use these, I don't worry about someone gaining access to them.
We get ours from our Credit Union.
Just a thought,
Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote