Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2015, 07:18 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1966 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Mobile , Alabama
My parents had one of these triple axle 40 foot you haulers with three slides. When my kids were small the back room (garage) came in handy with having enough space for two pack and plays on the floor plus a desk, dresser and rocking chair and I could sleep in King size bed above them. It actually had two king size beds in rails in back. And king in front bedroom, queen in loft and queen sofa bed in middle room. It was huge but also perfect for that phase of life camping. My kids outgrew the pack and plays and now we can camp in my Avion. My parents have "downsized" to a 35 foot class c. Still working to get them in a silver trailer.
Jarrod White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My new neighbor pulling in. This monstrosity is massive. I would need oxygen to climb in and out. Attachment 245629
Take the elevator.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
From one extreme to another,
Also in camp were some very nice folks from Texas with one of these,

TaB Max CS S - Teardrop Camper/Trailer - Little Guy

They went from a 5er to a modern teardrop with all the comforts of home. Gentleman told me his wife had leg issues and could no longer climb the staircase to get up into the 5er. His wife does miss the big trailer but said she was adjusting. He said the little trailer had really simplified and made traveling much more affordable and fun again.

Also in camp was another bare bones TAB. The folks said it was their first trailer just to see how they liked trailer camping. So far so good. Their goal is to eventually get an Airstream. I told them about Airforums.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:43 PM   #24
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Leaf sprung beam axle or torsion flex?

I'm always disappointed if it's the former. Adds so little in cost and so much in stability if the latter.

The shape is definitely a winner. I see guys wanting to build their own aero high fuel economy rigs on another forum. Try to tell them there are ready-builts available. Now, not seven years away of building from scratch. Just need a small turbodiesel TV. Used Bambi and a TDI Jetta is 28-30/mpg for the motivated.

The Marmoleum flooring is another win.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
My friend is looking for a "Little Guy T@b" right now, what did you think of it?

For some reason, they are WAY more expensive on eh left coast...
Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
We camp at the same beach every summer. A few years ago, a group was there. Together they booked about 5 campsites and they had at least 8 people in each site (do the math, that's at least 40 people total). Their rigs were big and they took over the campground and beach with their volleyball court and tents. We tolerated them, but it was a but much.

Last summer, we were at the same campground in a beachfront site. The same group showed up. One had a giant 5th wheel toy hauler with a rear ramp that converts into a fold-down patio. They backed into the site next to us and hung that rear ramp/patio out over the rocks for a better view of the beach. They also had a mobile pit BBQ.

I think they recognized us and we were all very cordial during our stay. Turned out, they were all fire fighters who meet up for a big family get together every year. Once we got to know them a little better, they were really nice folks. And, to make matters better, when they fired up their mobile pit BBQ with the whole hog, they made a big plate full for us and brought it over for us to enjoy.

Just goes to show, you can't judge the people in the rig by the rig itself.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:39 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
didn't find any jpeg, whats up with that??

No love for me either. Seems like the server has been slow or stalled for a while. Any one else?
Wish I could see the monster! Can't even see it on R Carl reposted "quote" just a black screen.

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:31 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
No love for me either. Seems like the server has been slow or stalled for a while. Any one else?
Wish I could see the monster! Can't even see it on R Carl reposted "quote" just a black screen.

-Dennis
How about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	245812  
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
How about this?
Thank you Rich.
Magic? Much better, I can see that fine.
That is a monster! I wonder what kind of fuel mileage he gets

-Dennis
batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:32 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Here ya go, sorry not a better photo. I was on its shady side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	245818  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 08-18-2015, 08:55 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
A lot of these guys report 9-11 mpg.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:40 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
My friend is looking for a "Little Guy T@b" right now, what did you think of it?

For some reason, they are WAY more expensive on eh left coast...
It seemed well made, the model I looked at was top of the line with all the bells and whistles. Most impressive was the quality and look of the wood work. They were from south Florida via New Jersey. They ordered it direct from the factory. They have had it for few months and said zero problems, so far. It is fully wired for 30 amp, one g24 battery and 20 lb gas bottle. There is a tent addition that goes over the back kitchen area and awning for the curb side. They plan on adding another battery and solar. According to the web site a unit equipped like theirs would be a bit over $20k.

Old 08-19-2015, 08:59 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2015 23' International
Charleston , South Carolina
We owned a 2007 T@B before our Airstream. They were actually made by Thor (Airstream parent company) at that time. We bought it used in 2010 and kept it for 3 years. Used quite a bit for weekend camping.

Those were very impressive quality (don't know about quality of current maker). Very simple systems. Trailer frame was very stout and whole structure was very rigid. Nice maple plywood cabinets. Very cozy little camper. Just to darn small in the long run. But a great step up for tent campers.

We stored covered but PO kept it out in weather for time that he owned it. Only leaks I ever saw were minor and were at wheel wells and underside at front wall/floor joint. Easy fix with a little caulk. I think this was primarily road spray when traveling in rain. Very solid little camper and we sold it for almost what we paid so can't complain.

Steve
FollySteve is offline   Reply With Quote