Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
So the answer to them is, "So I should get a coal-powered car?"

“We are confronted with insurmountable opportunities.”
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
But I have a Smart Car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart on my back.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	169341  
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I get 99 mpg going downhill with a Tundra. It might be more, but like Fords, that's as high as it goes. I could leave the setting on the instant mpg, but then I'd be looking at the readout instead of the road. That would make it harder to drive, text, eat, comb my hair and change my clothes.

Going uphill in the Rockies, it is around 3 mpg and I can't stand looking at it. Of course, that's only about .2˘ per foot.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
So the answer to them is, "So I should get a coal-powered car?"
It depends on where you drive your car. If you buy an all electric car, it will be coal powered in a large portion of the US.

There is a guy I know who sells all electric vehicles. I was astounded to find he has no qualms about plugging his car in to charge any place he finds an outlet, quite often on public property. As far as I am concerned, that is theft, but he apparently thinks that it is something he is entitled to.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #25
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose you could plug into the receptacles for engine heaters we see in northern states and Canada. This would be in the grey area of morality. Going over to a neighbors and plugging into an outside receptacle means you wouldn't invited back. With some neighbors that might be a good thing.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
This is all you need

Overload: Motorbike with eight passengers drives along road in China - YouTube
Old 10-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
This is not a thread to argue gas mileage
Old 10-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #28
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I love electric cars, scooters and bicyclists. I extend them every courtesy. Every time I pass one I get a happy feeling and think "more gas for me" and "I'm sure glad I'm not that poor schnook".

If we can only get everyone using mass transit, bikes, scooters, electric cars etc the price of gas will drop by half and so will the amount of traffic on the roads. Even better, it will be the numbskulls who can't drive who stop driving leaving the roads for those of us who know how to drive.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
Hey guys! I heard a story the other day that made me chuckle. One of my buddies owns a construction company. He said he was fillin up his truck when a guy pulled up on an electric scooter. The guy says, "You keep supportin big oil while I drive my scooter for nearly nothin!"
My buddy reponds with, "Id like to see you haul a load of lumber on that thing"

Iv heard lots of similar stories, all with the "truck owner" having the last laugh. Then I got to thinkin... what if someone said somethin about my 11 mpg (unloaded) gasaholic? My responsbane would be simple: they have yet to make a Prius thatll tow an Airstream

Anyone have a similar story?
Trying to get this thread back on to its original track, I would like to comment on the conversation between the scooter rider and the person driving the truck.

I had a similar experience several years ago at a gas station while fueling my 3/4 ton Suburban. A young woman pulled up at the next pump in an imported econobox of some sort. She jumped out and immediately told me that I was irresponsible for driving such a gas hog truck. I responded that I didn't particularly care what her opinion was and that she should keep it to herself.

As in the above story with the guy on the scooter, don't tell me that you don't approve of my gas hog truck, and I won't tell you how stupid you look on that scooter.

Folks should just mind their own business. Have all of the opinions that you want, but keep them to yourself.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Lays actually has some all-electric delivery trucks running around here. I see them pretty frequently, actually. And they're pretty large trucks - larger than UPS's vans and all. (Here is one article about them.)

Obviously that's around town delivery, and they can recharge them overnight, but I was still impressed by the sheer size and weight of them in an all-electric vehicle. Pretty cool! It makes me think electric tow vehicles might not be as far off as we thought.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
I love electric cars, scooters and bicyclists. I extend them every courtesy. Every time I pass one I get a happy feeling and think "more gas for me" and "I'm sure glad I'm not that poor schnook".

If we can only get everyone using mass transit, bikes, scooters, electric cars etc the price of gas will drop by half and so will the amount of traffic on the roads. Even better, it will be the numbskulls who can't drive who stop driving leaving the roads for those of us who know how to drive.
I love it! Supply and demand!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #32
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post

I disagree with this statement 100%. If the US started using half of the gas it does, gas prices would double along with it. Just like what was stated in the post before this one: supply and demand. If theyres no demand, why buy more and sell it cheaper?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElCamino Man View Post
I disagree with this statement 100%. If the US started using half of the gas it does, gas prices would double along with it. Just like what was stated in the post before this one: supply and demand. If theyres no demand, why buy more and sell it cheaper?
I think you need to do a little research on how supply and demand works.

I am left with the distinct feeling that you love driving powerful vehicles with poor fuel effiecency. There is nothing wrong with that. That is your right. However you seem to also have a bit of guilt about your desires and want to develop an argument about why it is a good thing to do. I suggest you skip that last part and just enjoy doing what you like. No matter what any one person may like, there will alway be someone else who puts them down for it. So unless what you do is illegal, just do it, and ignore the naysayers. You don't need to justify it to them.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Warrenton , Virginia
One point to consider as well is that the "fixed costs of ownership" of a second vehicle add up quickly. Even if you keep low miles on it! Think taxes, insurance, some maintenance and the like.

It is my calculation that I am better off just driving the Suburban around as a daily and TV than go to the extra expense for another (newer) car.

... It kills me that I have to pay personal property taxes every year just for the privilege to own something that I own outright! That should be encompassed in the usury taxes on gasoline IMO.

To all the greenies: Electric, in general, is not a clean energy source!
Others: 1971 Chevy C-10 with 5.3 LS and T5 conversion, 1983 Jeep Cherokee Pioneer (FSJ) with 5.3 LS and SM465 conversion, 1979 Porsche 911SC
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #35
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Okay . . now let's talk about smoking. Okay if I light up in your presence? (Much of the same applies, ironically).

Want to know the real difference about "economy"? If it has IRS-deductible miles you might say that the overall advantage to the economy outweighs the "inefficiency" for the value added.

But for those who "need a truck" that is empty for most of its' miles, then it truly is inefficient. Personally, and societally. A negative. And "lifestyle" doesn't cover it (that bogus term).

Spec the vehicle to the intended use. Plenty of meat to trim away from that bone.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX;1213095

But for [B
those who "need a truck" that is empty for most of its' miles,[/B] then it truly is inefficient. Personally, and societally. A negative. And "lifestyle" doesn't cover it (that bogus term).

Hi, and this is not any different than someone with a four to eight passenger vehicle driving while alone. I drive my Lincoln alone at times, and at most, it will have my wife, I, and my little dog, who gets the entire back seat. I removed the third row seat and have never used it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 PM   #37
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Yeah, but isn't there some kind of happy medium? We want our conveniences, let alone a vehicle capable of doing the kind of work we bought it for. But does anyone really favour wasting gasoline and spending money on it unnecessarily?

The usual boiler-plate advice on fuel efficiency includes such time-worn tips as:

Bundle our errands into fewer local trips. Especially for those of us living in rural areas.

Limit idling the engine, "jack-rabbit" starts, or towing an AS at high speeds against a head-wind.

Sometimes it is possible to car-pool, use mass-transit, cycle, or walk. Advantages include using the HOV lane in city expressways, or getting more physical exercise during short trips.

Then there are intermediate options. Hauling lumber on a regular basis suggests a bigger truck. Hauling it once or twice a year suggests getting a smaller vehicle for daily use but renting a truck just as needed.

Most urban air pollution is due to vehicle exhaust, unless you happen to live in a really industrialized city, or in an area with a lot of wood-burning such as forest fires. "Clean coal" that is strip-mined to power electric vehicles is an oxymoron, not to mention the loss of energy as it is converted from coal-burning through transmission lines to electrical outlets used to charge up a vehicle.

Don't bite me all at once, folks, but I think sometimes we have to consider the trade-off between personal freedoms and consideration for the larger community of which we are a part.

As I said, don't bite me all at once!

Jeanne
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
This is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Yeah, but isn't there some kind of happy medium?
As I said, don't bite me all at once!

Jeanne
Hi, here is my situation. We bought the Lincoln for towing our trailer, but it's not going to sit and rot while not towing. We had our own cars because we both worked. [opposite directions] We are retired now, but sometimes still go places separately. Usually we take my wife's BMW X-3 because it is better on fuel and easier to park than my Lincoln. When shopping and in hot weather it is better to take the Lincoln. More room and has dual air conditioners, versus the BMW's all glass roof and so so air conditioner. In the big city where there are stop signs and traffic lights every fifty feet, nothing gets great gas mileage anyway. At our age we just want to enjoy whatever time we have left as long as we can still afford it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I think you need to do a little research on how supply and demand works.
Sounds like to me he's got it. No matter demand, oil companies would simply decrease refinery capacity to match, so price would remain the same.

Same with crude, just reduce production to match demand. Price remains constant. They have been doing it for years.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote