Old 09-30-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
w7TS,
what I do is once I maintain a high MPG, I cooenct the AS and I DON'T reset the MPG when I fill up. Based on my experience if I leave the MPG at what ever it reads, it stays at that MPG under premier conditions, (no head wind or hills and I keep it at 55-60 MPH) until I either hit hills as in climbing or head on winds. Does it maintain higher MPG depends on the conditions and driving? depends. If I creep up to up to 70-75 MPG in a head wind or a 7%-11% grade in climbing under load, that mileage per gallon drops real quick and stays there.

Hope it clarifies what I a trying to articulate.

SL4BLLT
I am guessing that since we have different manufacturer's trucks, we can't compare results. My MPG guage simply measures the average MPG since the last time I reset it. So if I were to reset it before driving say 65 MPH on the level for 2 hours, it would read around 20 MPG. If I then hooked up the trailer and repeated the same scenario (with the trailer I would be getting about 12 MPG) without resetting the MPG readout It would start out reading 20 MPG because it is still averaging in the readings from the truck alone. After doing this for 2 hours, the MPG read out will have slowly worked its way down to reading 16 MPG even though I was only really getting 12 MPG for the last two hours. Since my truck does not have a instantaneously MPG readout, if I want to get an idea of what I am doing right now, I reset it and give a minute of two to settle down. My Subaru Outback has a instantaneous reading guage so I can actually get an indication of what happens when I drive differently. My original post was a partially tongue in cheek explanation of how you can manipulate the guage to make the results look different from what is actually happening. I do not know how or if any of this would apply to your truck.

Ken

Old 09-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Ken's explanation is correct for all the vehicles I have driven (primarily GM).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:29 PM   #17
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL4BLLT View Post
We towed our 31 footer back from the mountains to store it and although we did not get 40 MPG, we did get 16.9 with the duramax. I have found the trick is to run the truck flat (empty) for about 20 miles hitting the reset button setting the gauge to read 19.6 to 20.2 miles to the gallon. Of course this in flat as I can find at about 62 MPH. Once I hitch up, I do NOT let the truck idle and as I tow now at 60 MPH, I can get excellent mileage.

SL4BLLT
I've found if I hit the reset button as I round the last corner and coast down the street to my house I can get 99 MPG. I actually think it's better than that, but Ford only used two digits for the MPG. This works towing or not.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
SL4BLLT

I am glad that you are getting 16.9 mpg. Whatever works for you is good. However, I don't believe that the procedure that you follow as to when you reset you mileage computer has any affect on the actual mileage when you are pulling the trailer. I think you are getting this mileage because you are towing gently, 55-60 mph, no headwind and away from the mountains (slightly downhill).

Dan
Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C
Our oldest Dtr (the communist) and sil bought a used Prius. They live in Houston and we live in north Texas. 6.5-7 hr drive at a good average mph. Done this numerous times. They came for a visit last Christmas. Took them 14 hours to get here. They drove at a top speed of 48 mph to achieve the best mph for a Prius. They want to buy a Chevy Volt. It is their most wanted new purchase. Stopped arguing with them several months ago when they bought a solar panel that would power a box fan...
Yeah, my uncle had a Prius. He would drive 5+ miles to another gas station to save 2 cents per gallon. I think the gas tank is maybe 15 gallons at most. He would save a whopping 30 cents. There was just no talking any sense into him. Some people live their lives with blinders on.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Touring Dan,

after we dropped off the AS, we refilled and reset the fuel economy setting again to no number and driving at 65 MPH. After driving the 140 miles home at 65-70 MPH, not load, the use of diesel was only 6.8 gallons to refuel, which the setting read 19.2 MPG. So we've tried both ways with a load and w/out and I drive around getting 16.8 unless I let the truck idle with the AC going in which even at a low idle it will reduce the setting.
Hey it works for me and actually have used this for years on most of my vehicles. The 2002 8.1 Avalanche got 12.5 MPG with or without the Airstream and even less when climbing the huge grades in Montana. That's where we would get some real love from folks (that the discussion is about) as we would fill up the 42 gallon tank on that monster of a tow vehicle. We thought $1.70 a gallon was allot back then.

As what newrolswell has pointed out, I haven't gotten to the 99 MPG but again, I'm not in a Ford. Guess I'll never see that.

Go Luck
SL4BLLT
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Fort Collins , Colorado
So the answer to them is, "So I should get a coal-powered car?"

"I'd rather be happy for just one day than miserable for the rest of my life."
Dan and Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #22
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
But I have a Smart Car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	smart on my back.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	169341  
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I get 99 mpg going downhill with a Tundra. It might be more, but like Fords, that's as high as it goes. I could leave the setting on the instant mpg, but then I'd be looking at the readout instead of the road. That would make it harder to drive, text, eat, comb my hair and change my clothes.

Going uphill in the Rockies, it is around 3 mpg and I can't stand looking at it. Of course, that's only about .2¢ per foot.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #24
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan and Liz View Post
So the answer to them is, "So I should get a coal-powered car?"
It depends on where you drive your car. If you buy an all electric car, it will be coal powered in a large portion of the US.

There is a guy I know who sells all electric vehicles. I was astounded to find he has no qualms about plugging his car in to charge any place he finds an outlet, quite often on public property. As far as I am concerned, that is theft, but he apparently thinks that it is something he is entitled to.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose you could plug into the receptacles for engine heaters we see in northern states and Canada. This would be in the grey area of morality. Going over to a neighbors and plugging into an outside receptacle means you wouldn't invited back. With some neighbors that might be a good thing.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
This is all you need

Overload: Motorbike with eight passengers drives along road in China - YouTube
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #27
Old School Young Gun

Currently Looking...
Olney , Illinois
This is not a thread to argue gas mileage
Old 10-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #28
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
I love electric cars, scooters and bicyclists. I extend them every courtesy. Every time I pass one I get a happy feeling and think "more gas for me" and "I'm sure glad I'm not that poor schnook".

If we can only get everyone using mass transit, bikes, scooters, electric cars etc the price of gas will drop by half and so will the amount of traffic on the roads. Even better, it will be the numbskulls who can't drive who stop driving leaving the roads for those of us who know how to drive.