Old 05-20-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Protagonist, great response. We'd like to add one more requirement for our own driveway, to have a brick red colored crushed aggregate surface that allows water to drain through. Maybe crushed red brick, maybe there are better choices?

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:51 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Protagonist, great response. We'd like to add one more requirement for our own driveway, to have a brick red colored crushed aggregate surface that allows water to drain through. Maybe crushed red brick, maybe there are better choices?
Brick only works as a road surface in the form of solid bricks. Crushed brick will gradually break into smaller and smaller pieces until it eventually becomes brick dust. Brick is just baked clay.

On the other hand, there are quarries that produce red granite, that should be able to provide graded crushed granite aggregate. I can't speak to the cost, but that is probably your best bet for a red crushed stone surface.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:01 AM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverflames View Post
Protagonist, thanks for the great instructions. Most of the drive way is 20+ year old gravel dirt mix and is a pretty solid base. I'll be asking for 6" of highway RAM that will then be compacted. The company has a roller that is heavier than the one I can rent, but it's $500 for them to roll it. It's $300ish for me to rent a vibration roller (2500lbs.)

Would it be better to to them roll it with the heaver roller, or would it pack better with the smaller roller over the course of a weekend? I'm sure the contractor will spend some time rolling it, but not 12-16 hours I could spend over a weekend.

Also, could I over pack it?

Thanks!
My recommendation would be to compact each layer using the heavier roller. Use the vibratory compactor only to get into the corners where the bigger roller can't reach (and where your vehicle/trailer wheels won't be rolling or sitting).

Besides, your 6" of RAM should be applied in two 3" layers that are each compacted. If the contractor does it, he can compact the first layer then add the second layer and compact it all in the same day. Apologies for not mentioning the compaction of the first RAM layer in my original post. I didn't realize the oversight until you asked this question.

Not sure what you mean by "over pack it." You won't be able to compact the surface hard enough to break the stones in the RAM, so there's no way you can compact it too much.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Thank you all!
Old 07-26-2016, 08:54 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I figured I would post a follow up on the RAM driveway and RV Pad.

It took a whole day, and it came out pretty well. 9 loads total, a long hot 10 hour day, over 700 feet long.

The RAM packed down very well, and is much like asphalt but it a but gravelly on top. They only rolled it for a couple of hours. I'm thinking I'll rent a roller in a couple of weeks and roll it again to pack it down more. Overall, we are very happy with it.

Much better than gravel, sand, and grass!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469587848.837197.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	267801

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469587892.867384.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	267802