Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2005, 04:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
new 22 ft CCD

got it
love it

new thread to tell about it? Please?
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 05:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Post NEW threads

I like to use SMILIES but every time I've tried to start a new thread with one or more in my posting it fails. The previous post without smilies went just fine.

I love my Airstream, gotta go home to my Airstream. Nice chatting but I wanna play in my Airstream. (I'll be semi-normal in a day or two as the manic phase fades.)

Paula, aka Tin Lizzie
Old 03-27-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Cngrats from all of us, Paula. We've shared your wait and are really happy for you. So, are you camping in the driveway tonight? Everyone does, so let us know how all systems go!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:19 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Hi Paula,

Congratulations on the new trailer!

I too have been a victim of failed new thread postings. I finally stumbled across a method that "so far" has worked for me. Everytime I do a post preview and then do the posting from the post preview, it seems to work and start the new thread.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:39 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Great news....I know when ours first arrived here at the house, we spent hours inside. That long wait that we did while the unit was being built turned into the long wait to take it out on the road!

For you, spring has already sprung, get out there and have some fun with it!

PS- Don't forget to share some pics!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Cool Full-Timing - from day one!

I sold my house about 3 weeks before Tin Lizzie arrived. I house sat for a friend and slept in my office while waiting (Answering Service operates 24/7 - we live here during hurricanes, snowstorms, etc. so I have a bed, toothbrush, etc. here.

Beyond thrilled - especially with the service from RV's of NH and Vern Townsend especially. NO heavy high pressure, upselling and he found me a perfect tow vehicle after I'd searched a 500 mile radius from here.

He stores one of his two Airstreams in Va. Beach so he even delivered my new toys! We spent 4 days camped side by side at the Holiday Trav-L Campground while he showed me all of the ins and outs of happy Airstream camping.

I've always been a bit more confident of my mechanical abilities than most women, and I really want to encourage any women out there who think it might be "too complicated" to own an RV on their own, to be fearless. If you can operate a food processor or a sewing machine you can master this. Of course Vern was a big help - very supportive and patient. Most important he was willing to stand back and let me do it on my own, only stepping in if I got in trouble. I'm sure he got a few chuckles, but he was surprised at how quickly I caught on. The Zip-Dee awning may be the hardest to master, but then I'm not used to working with a tool THAT long.!

Any way, Let's RALLY!

Paula

PS - I found an easy way to make the bed. Put a featherbed on top of the mattress and put the bottom sheet on that. Then a duvet cover over a down comforter for the top, a few pillows and voila. I thought I'd be too tired to sleep and for about 7 minutes I was... next thing I knew the chirping birds were awakening me.
Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Down comforters work for us too! I honestly don't know how we used to sleep with just blankets and sheet. When that down settles over you, snuggle in and z-z-z-z-. . .!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Well Done.

Well done Paula...
Hope U have many a good tale 2 tell us from now on, I met Vern when We came over 2 BOSTON last Year GREAT GUY, so jus wanna say " HAPPY TRAVELS "...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 12:27 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Paula,

Congrats on finally getting your CCD. I know you're excited.
We'll be at the Galax rally in August. Hope you'll be able to make it.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 02:10 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Excellent choice. Congrats!!!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:15 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
I love my Airstream, gotta go home to my Airstream. Nice chatting but I wanna play in my Airstream. (I'll be semi-normal in a day or two as the manic phase fades.) Paula, aka Tin Lizzie
Congratulations on your new trailer, and let us know where the road takes you while you play in your AS every day...you lucky women!
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:35 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Post Open House Airstream Tour

I've been parked at my new home base park since Saturday. This morning as I was getting ready to take Vern to the Airport a couple drove past, then stopped and looked wistfully at the CCD. I waved at them and the man asked "Where'd you get the Airstream?" and I pointed at Vern. He got out of his car followed by his wife and we invited them to peek in. They'd only seen the more traditional interiors and were just wowed by mine.

Willy and Joan are on their second SOB and admit it's about to fall apart. They've always wanted a small A/S and nearly got a nearly new Bambi 19' that was at a local RV Lot. They wanted to think about it over night, but when they came back the next day it was already gone. (surprise, surprise)

They got Vern's business card - and I think I just sold my first Airstream! They are the sixth set of visitors I've had since Saturday! I do leave a few lights on during the day when I'm gone - so I expect to see nose and forehead prints on the outside of the glass when I get back.

I got my WBCCI numbers yesterday - 2086. I decided to trust to luck, but can't believe I got numbers that low.

Still Lovin it.

Is there anything more restful than listening to a gentle rain pitter-pattering on the aluminum roof as you drift off to sleep?

Tin Lizzie
Old 03-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
Nice Streams

Hey Paula, Congrat's on your new (select one or more) home, pet, family member, baby, travelling companion, camper, retreat, playhouse: any, or all of these could apply.
I agree that relaxing with a nice, gentle rain pattering on the roof of an Airstream is great! I also enjoy lying in bed, on a calm summer night with the windows wide open, and listening to the faint cracks & pops as the aluminum shrinks (ever so slightly) while a hot day in the sun is replaced by the cool night air. Maybe, if you're lucky, you can add the sound of a babbling brook (as in Rocky Mountains) in the evening.
Gee, this makes me want to get the Airstream de-winterized (is there such a word?) and hit the road.
Anyway, enjoy your new trailer for many, many years!
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Suggestions to Airstream

I love my 22ft CCD - but I'd already make a few minor changes. I've got a bum knee - which I found out is going to cause me a few more problems than I anticipated with my Airstream. Problems?
  1. I can't easily reach the black water storage tube. Why isn't this closer to the edge of the belly pan? I can kneel, I just can't get back up! Getting the end piece on and off is HARD - is that usual or do I just have some crud in the threads? I'm going to have to get a strap wrench to open and close this if it's supposed to be that tight.
  2. The stabilizer cranks are also invisible from a standing position - the back ones I can see, but the front ones require me to kneel to find them. Anyone got any extensions that can be permanently affixed?
  3. "Water inlet only".... not exactly self explanatory and being that it's located above the city water hookup could cause an eeeewwh! eruption from the plumbing. Luckily I went back and READ enough to realize that's where you hook up the water when you are rinsing out the black & gray water tanks.
  4. The bathroom door in the CCD looks like Captain Kirk could come out any time, but I left it closed when I went to bed the first night - and I turned the heat way down because I like to sleep in a cool room. What I didn't think about was how cold that seat would be when the outside temperature went down to 40 degrees. Clearly a guy designed this. Sitting on an ice cold seat is NOT a good wake up at 4 am. I know it's a wet bath, but it might be a good idea to have a small vent at the top of the door to equalize the temperature between the wet bath and the rest of the trailer.
Not complaining, just offering design suggestions for the next year model.

Tin Lizzie
Old 03-29-2005, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Paula,
Congrats on your new Airstream and those nice WBCCI numbers...
It was a real pleasure meeting you and, I just know you're gonna have a Grand Time traveling..
You have the perfect combo...Spirit and mind-set, as a full-timer~!
Your points abt the design changes are right on target~ Follow thru with it~!
Feel free to keep in touch, anytime..
Have I said this before?.. but, thanks again many times over for all the wonderful "Southern Hospitality" shown by you and your staff toward me..
(Also to Missy)..
Looking forward to that big bonfire we never got to lite because of the rain..
ciao
53FC...
BTW, sunshine was found here in NE..
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up pictures

Paula,
If you think of it..could you post a few of those pictures taken the other day?
ciao
53FC...
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Suggestions to Airstream (2nd installment)

Here again, I still love my 22ft CCD, but when the 2006's come out, here are a few things to add.
  1. the door to the bathroom hits the back of the dinette chair and doesn't open fully. I eyeballed the whole thing closely and noted that the front of the dinette is about 3 inches back from the door - apparently so that the fire extinguisher can be mounted between the door and the back of the front dinette seat. If the fire extinguisher were mounted above the dinette seat, the whole dinette could be moved forward 3 inches and the bathroom door would clear the dinette. There would also be a few more inches at the desk.
  2. The seat cushions are snapped onto the dinette. If one wanted to remove the cushions and sit on the bare dinette (after swimming, etc.) the snaps would interfere. Many fast food restaurants have formica booths similar to the Airstream dinette. The cushions clearly need to be fastened to the dinette, but this could be accomplished by Velcro (fuzzy side on the seat, prickly side on the back of the cushions), or by means of straps between the cushions and the dinette back.
  3. Gaucho option - I'd almost be tempted to do away with the dinette and put in a couch or gaucho over the wheel well. You could put a tray on top of the Battery inverter/charger and use it as an end table for an L shaped configuration , and have two TV tray tables or one coffee table that would fold up and be stored in a gap between the top of the wheel well and the bottom of the couch. Of course it would also have to fold out to be a bed, too. I like the dinette and with my sore knee I can stretch my leg out on the wheel well and sit comfortably but I can see that four adults will be a tight squeeze.
  4. If there was a gaucho option the foldable table should match the resin orange chair. It's very sturdy and comfortable. It might be nice if that table/bench had two sets of removable legs, short ones so that it could be used as coffee table or bench to sit on, the other to make it table height.
  5. I'm finding the bed to be very comfortable - of course I've thrown on a feather bed and it's just me sleeping there. I could see where the person on the window side could have a real problem getting up without disturbing the other person. Between the closet and the nightstand there's only about a 4 foot opening. If the nightstand were lowered to the height of the mattress and the plexiglass screen were replaced with a shaped curtain, it would be much easier for the party next to the window to scoot around the other person.
  6. The wardrobe closet is nice - but the front six inches are unused. Hang some hooks on the door. I could put my bathrobe, broom, dustpan, etc on the back of that door and use the space.
  7. Include six or eight clear suction cups with the Airstream. Great for hanging calendars, clocks, etc., without marring the walls.
Tin Lizzie
Old 03-31-2005, 09:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Paula-

Welcome to a large club of folks helping Airstream improve their designs.. Since Chris Deam has posted here and is a member, and he is really the interior designer, some of yoru ideas may already be under review... After both sailboat and camper experience, I've learned some translation practicalities from the brochures..

a) A 4 person dinette seats two pretty comfortably
b) A double bed sleeps 1 person pretty comfortably
c) Some people like permanent dining tables, and folding beds..
d) All the "Other" people like folding dining tables, and permanent beds..
e) Doors that don't open are usually corrected in subsequent years, as they're rarely laid out that way...
f) Bathrooms without heat usually grow heater vents, as NOBODY enjoys icy cold seat in winter...
g) Door hooks and suction cups are pretty easy DIY projects, and if A/S placed them you'd probably want them mounted elsewhere...

We've found tiny ceramic heater, and alarm clock/lamp with brook babbles, ocean waves and rain sounds are both pretty useful gadgets...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Paula,
Additionally:
8. Propane tanks cover that is "notched" on each corner for proper operation of the weight dist. sys. This was an oversight at the factory..

I'm curious if you were to call and ask someone at JC, if they could move the dinette for you as you've suggested? Just wondering what they'd say about some of the others as well...This is an excellent Idea~!!!
BTW,
I'm missing the Spring time in Virginia...
ciao
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit