Old 03-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Paula,
Congrats on your new Airstream and those nice WBCCI numbers...
It was a real pleasure meeting you and, I just know you're gonna have a Grand Time traveling..
You have the perfect combo...Spirit and mind-set, as a full-timer~!
Your points abt the design changes are right on target~ Follow thru with it~!
Feel free to keep in touch, anytime..
Have I said this before?.. but, thanks again many times over for all the wonderful "Southern Hospitality" shown by you and your staff toward me..
(Also to Missy)..
Looking forward to that big bonfire we never got to lite because of the rain..
ciao
53FC...
BTW, sunshine was found here in NE..

NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 01:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up pictures

Paula,
If you think of it..could you post a few of those pictures taken the other day?
ciao
53FC...

NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 03-31-2005, 10:39 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Suggestions to Airstream (2nd installment)

Here again, I still love my 22ft CCD, but when the 2006's come out, here are a few things to add.
  1. the door to the bathroom hits the back of the dinette chair and doesn't open fully. I eyeballed the whole thing closely and noted that the front of the dinette is about 3 inches back from the door - apparently so that the fire extinguisher can be mounted between the door and the back of the front dinette seat. If the fire extinguisher were mounted above the dinette seat, the whole dinette could be moved forward 3 inches and the bathroom door would clear the dinette. There would also be a few more inches at the desk.
  2. The seat cushions are snapped onto the dinette. If one wanted to remove the cushions and sit on the bare dinette (after swimming, etc.) the snaps would interfere. Many fast food restaurants have formica booths similar to the Airstream dinette. The cushions clearly need to be fastened to the dinette, but this could be accomplished by Velcro (fuzzy side on the seat, prickly side on the back of the cushions), or by means of straps between the cushions and the dinette back.
  3. Gaucho option - I'd almost be tempted to do away with the dinette and put in a couch or gaucho over the wheel well. You could put a tray on top of the Battery inverter/charger and use it as an end table for an L shaped configuration , and have two TV tray tables or one coffee table that would fold up and be stored in a gap between the top of the wheel well and the bottom of the couch. Of course it would also have to fold out to be a bed, too. I like the dinette and with my sore knee I can stretch my leg out on the wheel well and sit comfortably but I can see that four adults will be a tight squeeze.
  4. If there was a gaucho option the foldable table should match the resin orange chair. It's very sturdy and comfortable. It might be nice if that table/bench had two sets of removable legs, short ones so that it could be used as coffee table or bench to sit on, the other to make it table height.
  5. I'm finding the bed to be very comfortable - of course I've thrown on a feather bed and it's just me sleeping there. I could see where the person on the window side could have a real problem getting up without disturbing the other person. Between the closet and the nightstand there's only about a 4 foot opening. If the nightstand were lowered to the height of the mattress and the plexiglass screen were replaced with a shaped curtain, it would be much easier for the party next to the window to scoot around the other person.
  6. The wardrobe closet is nice - but the front six inches are unused. Hang some hooks on the door. I could put my bathrobe, broom, dustpan, etc on the back of that door and use the space.
  7. Include six or eight clear suction cups with the Airstream. Great for hanging calendars, clocks, etc., without marring the walls.
Tin Lizzie
Old 03-31-2005, 10:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Paula-

Welcome to a large club of folks helping Airstream improve their designs.. Since Chris Deam has posted here and is a member, and he is really the interior designer, some of yoru ideas may already be under review... After both sailboat and camper experience, I've learned some translation practicalities from the brochures..

a) A 4 person dinette seats two pretty comfortably
b) A double bed sleeps 1 person pretty comfortably
c) Some people like permanent dining tables, and folding beds..
d) All the "Other" people like folding dining tables, and permanent beds..
e) Doors that don't open are usually corrected in subsequent years, as they're rarely laid out that way...
f) Bathrooms without heat usually grow heater vents, as NOBODY enjoys icy cold seat in winter...
g) Door hooks and suction cups are pretty easy DIY projects, and if A/S placed them you'd probably want them mounted elsewhere...

We've found tiny ceramic heater, and alarm clock/lamp with brook babbles, ocean waves and rain sounds are both pretty useful gadgets...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 11:16 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Paula,
Additionally:
8. Propane tanks cover that is "notched" on each corner for proper operation of the weight dist. sys. This was an oversight at the factory..

I'm curious if you were to call and ask someone at JC, if they could move the dinette for you as you've suggested? Just wondering what they'd say about some of the others as well...This is an excellent Idea~!!!
BTW,
I'm missing the Spring time in Virginia...
ciao
Vern

NEU #64
New England Unit