Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Needed: extended courtesy parking

Needed: courtesy parking in or near Iowa City, Iowa as I undergo the first set of radiation treatments.
Of course, all public camp sites are turned off for the winter and so.......
Not sure we really will use it, but it would comfort my husband to know there was some place nearby for me if I get too fatigued rather than have to drive me 85 miles home. One of the possible side effects of whole brain irradiation is potential siezure activity. LOL!! But I respect the fact that this scares him, and he would rather I was closer for care than high tailing up the interstate for home! We are fully self contained, even have our own genset.... just need a close, quiet spot.... no interaction needed..... you are not obligated in any way to interact or hold our hands!
Thanks

Elizabeth in Iowa
Looking at doing 170 miles each day for two weeks of treatments on the first round! More will follow!
Old 02-27-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Courtesy parking

I would sure love to have you, but we live in Texas. Hope everything goes well for you. I'm sure someone in here will be able to help.

Lee Pace
WBCCI 7287
Greenville, Tx
Lee Pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Good luck with the treatments Elizabeth. I had radiotherapy and chemo for lymphoma almost sixteen years ago and can confirm that being close to the hospital is a practical thing to do if you can sort it out. It was less a need for me as it was for my wife who was dependant on the folks at the hospital for information when things weren't happening the way they should at any particular time. You and your husband are in our thoughts and prayers while you get through this.
Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 07:39 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Pace
I would sure love to have you, but we live in Texas. Hope everything goes well for you. I'm sure someone in here will be able to help.
Ditto, except we're in the Chicago area.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Elizabeth,

Suggest you check with the hospital, local cancer victim support agencies, the city's visitor services org, and also look up the local large truck stops and give them a call - they always seem very well connected and may have suggestions. Is there a local Wally Byam group to make the same request to? Also, local church may be able to accommodate a trailer......Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Sacramento , California
Like Safari57 said, here in Sacramento at the UC Davis Medical Center I've seen RV's and trailers that were hooked up for folks who were from out of town and needed to be close to loved ones in the hospital. I'll bet they have something similar there. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.Mike
flynmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Ronald Macdonald house

Elizabeth-

Perhaps there is a Ronald McDonald house near the facility that will be treating you. I do know that the RMH's usually cater to kids but if there are open beds, they will work you in - I know from when we (the family) stayed at one when our 7y/o son was treated for Burkitts Lymphoma a few years ago. He is fine now - knock wood!

I rough patch ahead for you and yours - You will be in our prayers!!! Best of luck!

Axel, in NM
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 04:53 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Thanks for the posts and personal messages. Good suggestions Barry, I'll tuck those back for later.
As I tell my husband, We can get through this, TOGETHER!
My simple prayer..... Lord, I will gratefully accept any cures or miracles, but I'll be quite content with the status quo. And if that can't be, Lord, then grant me the grace and dignity to get through this.
i think we are okay for now and have contacts being established.
Thanks for the thoughts!

Elizabeth in iowa
Old 02-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Recovery rest

Elizebeth,
You just get better. Then come to Texas and rest up. I have plenty of room with lots of quiet space. Even have a lake or two within walking distance....hard to find in Texas. A State park, or several, very close, and world class medical facilities within 1 hour if it makes you feel better. We are all thinking of you.
Robin C
Melody Ranch,
Mt Springs, Texas
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 06:00 AM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Elizabeth,

I can not offer you parking, however, I am a neuroscientist and if your condition or treatment of it gives rise to questions of a neurological or pharmacological nature, please feel free to contact me. I will be more than happy to discuss things with you and help in anyway I can. I am best reached at rodneyr@siu.edu. Best of luck with your treatments.

Rodney

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 08:24 AM   #11
Rivet Master

South Shore , Kentucky
When my mom was sick, my dad and I stayed at a hospital for about a month. When we first inquired about parking a class C we were told they couldn’t accommodate us. We were persistent in that we contacted someone else about the situation. They fixed us a place in a parking lot next to a maintenance building were we could run electric. Even though they didn’t have RV parking as such talking to the right person definitely made a big difference. I might also state they went out of their way to accommodate us and were very friendly and polite.

"A safe camper is a Happy Camper"

Bill & Donna

Air Forums Member # 2360
Silvertwinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
Prospect , Tennessee
Parking

Elizabeth

What is your email and phone number? I may have a solution but would like to pass on your contact info

Lee

lnjdavis@gmail.com
423-292-5767

Full Time.....keeping the shiny side up

Lee Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 10:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Elizabeth? I was just thinking about seeing you at the rally with your dog pen but realized that you're not on he list & that we haven't heard from you in awhile about this whole thing.

Any good news you can share with us on this front?