Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Need Info on long term Charleston SC Stay

To All;
Starting around February or March of 2015 I will be making regular trips to Charleston area, and if everything works as planned, then in late May 2015 I will have to stay in the Charleston SC area, for approximately 1 year. I will still have to travel back to TN occasionally where my residence is, and I would like to be able to leave the AS parked, but for at least 1 year I will be spending the majority of my time there. Can anyone give me any information on a place to stay while I am there? It has to be able to let me stay long term and be affordable.

Sarge
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
SARGE/AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:40 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Where exactly in the Charleston area are you going to be going to? Some places are easier to access than others from different locations. I spent over 2 years down there on a project, then spent another two years in and out. I stayed for 6 months in a campground out near Goose Creek that was pretty decent, but I was working out on that end of the world. There is a nice little campground out on the Tail Race Canal out in Moncks Corner, but that is a ways out.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Where exactly in the Charleston area are you going to be going to? Some places are easier to access than others from different locations. I spent over 2 years down there on a project, then spent another two years in and out. I stayed for 6 months in a campground out near Goose Creek that was pretty decent, but I was working out on that end of the world. There is a nice little campground out on the Tail Race Canal out in Moncks Corner, but that is a ways out.

Aaron
I am not sure which area as of yet, My daughter will be moving there in January and working on locating a residence, once that is accomplished then I can move accordingly, but to start I will need a place. Finding rental information is not easy when you don't live there, so it will take her some time to get working and locate an address.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 08-11-2014, 04:49 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
I am not sure which area as of yet, My daughter will be moving there in January and working on locating a residence, once that is accomplished then I can move accordingly, but to start I will need a place. Finding rental information is not easy when you don't live there, so it will take her some time to get working and locate an address.
Tell her to use Zillow to get a start on the rental search.

As far as campgrounds there are a couple of KOA's one is in Mt Pleasant across the river, the other is back out on I-26 near Ladson.

Right in North Charleston is Fain's RV park, it is near the airport, I stayed there briefly until a space opened up in Goose Creek. It can be a bit sketchy at times.

Another option if you are military or retired military is there are a couple of in the area, one I am familiar with is Joint Base Charleston RV Park, it has very nice facilities.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-11-2014, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
James Island county park is very nice.

Don't know if they have stay limits, but even if they do might be able to make an exception.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
I second James Island County Park! Very nice, well maintained park.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 09:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Tell her to use Zillow to get a start on the rental search.

As far as campgrounds there are a couple of KOA's one is in Mt Pleasant across the river, the other is back out on I-26 near Ladson.

Right in North Charleston is Fain's RV park, it is near the airport, I stayed there briefly until a space opened up in Goose Creek. It can be a bit sketchy at times.

Another option if you are military or retired military is there are a couple of in the area, one I am familiar with is Joint Base Charleston RV Park, it has very nice facilities.

Aaron
The base looks like a good place, gives easy access to either side of Charleston, will have to search Fains park it also looks like a good location as it is near the base as well. Do you have the website for Fains?
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 08-13-2014, 09:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwils25 View Post
I second James Island County Park! Very nice, well maintained park.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
I will look this up, Do you happen to have the website?
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 08-14-2014, 04:56 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARGE/AF View Post
The base looks like a good place, gives easy access to either side of Charleston, will have to search Fains park it also looks like a good location as it is near the base as well. Do you have the website for Fains?
Fains doesn't have a website. Just the information I linked to. They are pretty old school. Call them or drop by is probably your best bet. They are close to the airport.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-14-2014, 04:58 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I just made reservations for a week at James Island yesterday in conjunction with other reservations I have made in Florida and Georgia for next Feb/March.

I agree with others, a great full hookup park no more than a 15 minute drive from downtown Charleston - a real gem.

According to their website, they have a policy whereby RV'ers are limited to 28 days stay in every 30 days.

Charleston County Parks and Recreation - Campground Guidelines

Maybe if you contacted them they might show some flexibility.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I just made reservations for a week at James Island yesterday in conjunction with other reservations I have made in Florida and Georgia for next Feb/March.
I agree with others, a great full hookup park no more than a 15 minute drive from downtown Charleston - a real gem.
According to their website, they have a policy whereby RV'ers are limited to 28 days stay in every 30 days.
Charleston County Parks and Recreation - Campground Guidelines
Maybe if you contacted them they might show some flexibility.
Brian.
If I was only going to be less than a month this place would be an ok option, kinda pricey though.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We live in the Charleston area; check your PM's for a few ideas that I sent to you.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Limited
1976 31' Sovereign
1983 31' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Thanks Everyone keep the information coming as I am sorting through it gradually,
Update, As it stands right now the religious organization that she is affiliated with has her going to a place right off I-26 & I-526 near the airport. I can now say that when looking up in the Charleston area the cost of living is awful high there, and I know because it is partly because of the tourist industry.
Wahoonnc you mentioned Zillow, I had already looked at that, and what they list is stuff for people who have a lot of money or are well off, very little for the working class stiffs.
Thank you yall for helping me, I really appreciate it, it does help help vs waiting till the last minute and when I get there and then trying to sort it all out.
NRA, DAV, PGR, DRA