Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need help selecting bikes

My wife and I are near 70, and have just begun to travel in our AS ('97 Excella 25'). We want to buy 2 bikes and are not sure what to get. We want to be able to ride bike paths, but not strenuous terrain. Should we get mountain bikes w/ gears or "comfort" bikes without gears? It seems that the geared bikes have much in the way of mechanical gear (something to go wrong?) while the "comfort" bikes seem to be heavier and perhaps more cumbersome. We have been looking in the $175-$200 range, although we know you can put much more into bikes. Any help will be appreciated.
jmichaelr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I myself have a "Walmart" bicycle that was around $120 and it does ok for the sporadic riding I do. The seat can be a bit uncomfortable after while though. I would suggest a "mountain bike" style for easier gearing, etc...but then upgrade seats and other things to make them more comfortable. How much riding do you plan to do?
Old 05-19-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
I think you should probably pass on "mountain bikes." Mountain bike tires aren't so great on a paved path. (You can do it but it just ends up being more work.) I think you should go for a comfort bike, sometimes called cruisers. If you want a cruiser that isn't so heavy you can look for some with aluminum frames (they will be more expensive though.)
Old 05-19-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Look for Hybrid bikes

What you probably want to look for are hybrid bikes. They have the look of a mountain bike but are more suited for commuting, neighborhood riding, etc. The "comfort bikes" without gears may be great for the Malibu beach cruising crowd and the occasional roll down a board walk somewhere, but you are right.. they are heavy and unless you are riding on totally flat, paved terrain with not even the gentlest slope, you are going to wish you had gears. Additionally, many of the comfort bikes have gone to this sprocket forward design which is supposed to be better but in looking at bikes a couple of years ago I found the design to be anythng but comfortable as you need to have leg power going up and down on the pedals, not angled to the front.

You can find a great range of prices and extras. But if you pay a bit more, you will find that you can get a frame that is much lighter in weight which will be welcome when riding and when loading and unloading.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
Look for hybrid

Mountain bikes are overkill on paved paths/roads. Get a hybrid (skinny tires) or a road bike (skinnier tires).

Trek is a good company.
asianmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

a , wanderer
I have a few bikes, one which is a cruiser (no gears), but the rest have gears. The cruiser is nice for riding round the local lake as it is fairly level. But for most of the other bike trails I ride on, one of the geared bikes is much more enjoyable. I can pick a gear that keeps the effort level and my cadence the same, no matter what the grade is.

I think a 7 speed is probably be the best bang for the buck. More gears don't necessarily equal an equal increase in usable gears, due to overlap of the gear ratio. My 27 speed actually has only about 15 meaningfully different gear ratios.

I mainly look for a frame that fits me and the use I want, knowing that the rest can be changed out easily enough. In the price range you list, I'd probably be expecting to swap out the saddle for a more comfortable one and possibly the grips as well.

I'd probably look at an aluminum frame as well, and not necessarily one with suspension either. Suspension makes for a more comfortable ride (even on bike paths), but adds to the weight.

Just go to several stores (Walmart, Target, Toys R Us, etc) and see what feels good. Bike shops might have a bigger selection, but also a bigger price tag. Then make your decision. If it isn't comfortable, it won't be fun.

Good luck and enjoy.
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Go to a good local bike shop and talk to the owner, not the kids working there. Tell them what you intend to do with the bike. Do not buy a Wal Mart bike and expect to be happy. The newer hybrid type bikes are great for what you have in mind. They are not too expensive but spending a little more on quality components will pay off big time in enjoyment. My son worked in the local bike shop here for years while in high school and college. They hate to work n cheap bikes but do it all the time, cash cow for the bike shop. Quality bikes just don't break down as often. I have been an avid road and mountain biker for years.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Try a recumbent. No arm/wrist strain, no sore butt, no tired back (it's supported). The best bike trail ride you can get, and you will be looking for the long, long rides. Hundred mile weekends are a piece of cake, even for those of us getting up in the years. You don't see the youth on them much because they are social suicide, but at my age, who cares.

We never leave home without them.

Doug K
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Oh, and if you wanted to be like everybody else, you wouldn't have an Airstream.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Go to a good local bike shop and talk to the owner, not the kids working there. Tell them what you intend to do with the bike. Do not buy a Wal Mart bike and expect to be happy. The newer hybrid type bikes are great for what you have in mind. They are not too expensive but spending a little more on quality components will pay off big time in enjoyment.
68 Twind is right on target. You'd be happy with a hybrid, ok with a mountain bike and unhappy with a road bike. Your local bike shop will put you on the best bike for you and it will last and not require constant adjustment.
Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Caution on Walmart bike, handle bars on one we bought for DW were longer than should be, somehow comfort was interpreted to have longer handlebars, cut of a couple of inches and when mounted higher than normal worked ok. Most places don't have flat terrain so at least 3 gears, 6 would be better. Gel pad seats make up for the seat springs that are not being used in the new bikes. No knobs on tires if you are going to ride asphalt most of the time.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:24 PM   #12
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
bikes are grat to have and a lot of fun while camping.

you don't say where you will be doing your camping or how you plan on transporting the bikes - bike carrier? roof rack? inside vehicle?

we bought 2 small tire, high seat folding bikes with front & rear hand brakes.

we bring them along when we plan on staying in areas which are fairly level. they don't have gears but are fairly light because of their size and are easy to pedal.

best of all [for people of our mature age] you are close to the ground and can 'step out' in case of trouble.

the small size and the fact that they fold in half makes them easy to put inside the passenger area of my f-150 crew cab. [also nice if you don't want leave them unattended while out and about].

as other have noted - go out and try a few and see what you like.

one thing we found out very quickly - the seats most of the bikes come with are um....too narrow shall we say for real comfort. so don't judge a bike solely be the 'impact' of the first sitting.

there are many aftermarket seats that can be swapped for a more pleasant biking experience.

happy trails.

az-streamer
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Look at Terra Trikes on the internet. You can'tbeat a recumbent trike!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Lots of options, but not too many in your price range. A very few WM or Target bikes are okay, but you need to know what you are looking at. Great deals to be had on CL...again you need to know what you are looking at. Best bet is to find a bike shop with a good selection and ask.

I will second folders as being a good all around choice. They have the ability to store in less space and can be stretched to fit a wide range of people and as pointed out they are easier to "fall" off of.

I run vintage stuff, mostly Raleigh 3 speeds. Dahon is a reputable company and makes a wide range of folders. Something like their Boardwalk would be a good starting point.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #15
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Go hybrid

Hybrid, hybrid, hybrid. Did I mention hybrids? They are perfect for road and many easier trails. I ride one, I use it traveling and for commuting and some grocery shopping. Gears are essential! Low gears and faster cadence (RPM) is easier going in the long run and much, much easier on the knees. Go to the bike shop, talk with the people. I am a fan of Trek bikes, in the entry range. I ride the Trek 700 and I would guess it is in the $500 range BUT you should be able to pick up good used ones for much less. Get good seats, use them regularly so you will be able to ride them comfortably. Once you work up to five miles you will find the going much easier than when you start out and a mile seems like a lot. I suspect that age is not as big of deal as you might think- look at all the older folks riding cross-country; they seem to be the rule rather than the exception. Get bikes you can grow into. Good luck, you are going to love the opportunites the bikes open up for you.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:49 PM   #16
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
A 3 speed with a twist changer is nice.
A cruser being best ride.
Maybe a 24" so your not so high in the saddle.

Don't get a tandem, as she will work your A$$ off !
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Electric

A little off course, but I am going to look into a couple of electric motor bikes. I hear of some of them that have small electric motors to assist and even propel the bikes, actually for quite a distance. Would be light, and nice to run into town. I am basically talking about a bicycle with a small engine attached.

Greg
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have been riding a Trek 26" for about 10 years. It good for road, bike paths, or trails. The shop added a wide senior citizen seat to fit my ss hiney (skinny ones are a pain and can do damage) with a height extension since I am tall. I added a flat rack in the rear for carrying things, a water bottle with holder, and a pump/repair kit mounted above the pedals below the seat.

DW chose a 24" Huffey, second hand from Craigs List. We took off the basket since she did not use it. We added a water bottle with holder, a new gel seat, new smooth tires, new brake pads, and changed the handle bars to fit her shortness. It looks new now. She does not ride trails, so it's roads and paths for her.

We use a bike rack inside the trailer that sits on the floor. It is tied in place with a couple of bungies. If we carry any odds and ends with us when on the bikes we use a light back pack. If we carry a picnic we strap a cooler on the rack on the back of my bike.

We have ridden more this year than since we were kids.

If you are not familiar with adjusting a bike, I recommend buying from a good bike shop so they can set it up to fit you. If it does not feel good, you will not ride. Try riding a few different styles, and then get what feels good to you!
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , North Carolina
Local bike shop is best place to start, they will let you ride them around the block and few times, you will know what you like and what you don't.

Another possibility if nearby: REI.

Also cannot go wrong with LL Bean. If you don't like it, send it back.

PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM RECUMBENTS. DANGEROUS TO RIDE, HARD TO SEE IN TRAFFIC.
TinCanLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
My feelings are that you would be happy with an inexpensive mountain bike or hybrid.

My wife and I have mountain bikes we bought for about $300 each about fifteen years ago! They are still going strong!

We don't ride far, often just around the park, but sometimes on longer rides, probably the longest would be about 30 miles.

Being inexpensive, we don't worry about them getting covered in bugs or scratched up on the bike carrier on the front of the truck - nor worry about anyone stealing them!

We are long past the age of wanting high end bikes to impress anyone, and ours do the job just fine whether riding around the park, on a trail, or into town! I have panniers (saddle bags) on mine in case we want to do a bit of local grocery shgopping without taking the truck, and sometimes I will clip a GPS on the bars if we don;t know where we are exploring!

I would think a single speed "Cruiser" type bike would be fine for just around the campsite, but I'd want a few gear selections for any other riding.

I'd like to try one of those recumbent bikes, but just think it would be too much of a hassle to transport two of them - maybe there are tricks I don't know!

Whatever you decide, you;ll have fun, and its good exercise!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote