Old 02-20-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
National Parks/Guns

I just read that as of Monday, the National Parks will once again allow people who have CC permits to carry guns and others who I assume are licensed to possess their firearms in the Parks. I read the main exception was that you can't carry them into the visitor's centers and the ranger's headquarters as they are federal buildings.

Randy Bowman

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #2
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
It is not all National Parks. Basically the new regulation has the park follow the local and state laws regarding firearms.

National Park Service Press Releases

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
It's about time.
fmrcaptevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Gainesville , Georgia
It's my understanding that if you can LEGALLY possess a firearm in the state in which the NATIONAL PARK section you are visiting is WITHIN then you may carry/possess loaded firearm pursuant to all the laws of that state.

For example I am a Georgia Firearms Licensee (GFL) and we make NO exception to Concealed Carry or not.

Exampe 1 (home state) - visiting a Nat'l Park in GA - I have a GFL and I can carry a weapon pursuant to GA state laws (no public gatherings, schools or churches). Not sure about Federal buildings in the park, but you can have your gun in all the GA State Park buildings for example. I can carry a loaded Glock 19 with a mag extender on my hip for the whole world to see or I can carry a Walther PPK 380 auto tucked into my waistband under my shirt - so long as its in a holster (state law).

Example 2 (right denied) - visiting a Nat'l Park in MD - I would NOT be able to carry a firearm as the People's Republic of Maryland disarms non-residents and also prevents most residents from arming themselves - at least with a handgun.

Example 3 (Reciprocal Permit, Different Laws) - However if I went to FLORIDA and visited a National Park then I would be able to carry my firearm (as GA and FL have RECIPROCAL agreements) however Florida's laws REQUIRE that I CONCEAL my firearm. No open carry on my hip, but I still think you can carry that laoded AK-47 strapped across your back with no problems.

Example 4 (Reciprocal Permit, Differnt Laws) - If I went to MISSISSIPPI I would be able to carry however I choose to as they could care less as long as I have a reciprocal license which I do.

Example 5 (No Permit) - If you DO NOT have a firearms permit/license then I think the only states you can carry in (outside of your own property) are Alaska and Vermont regardless of your home state.

Example 6 - (In Your HOME, CAR, RV) - Most states consider your property to be your sacred domain as the core of American values lies around individual liberty and freedom (despite what the morons in Washington say) and therefore your 2A right applies in almost ALL circumstances EXCEPT when the host state has ILLEGALLY disarmed you such as ILLINOIS and until recently WASHINGTON DC. When you are within your OWN PROPERTY in most FREE states (Illinois excepted...say, who do we know that is a big shot politician that is from Illinois...?) you may have a loaded firearm regardless of license pursuant to state and federal regulations in that state. Some states require them to be HIDDEN (FL for example, even in your car), some don't care (GA) and some must be openly displayed in your car. Others require that they be in a glove box or other lockable compartment (lot of good that does you) and some even require the ammo to be in one section of the car and the firearm in another (again - fat chance of defending yourself or your family).

Lots of laws and it definitely, definitely pays to understand them for every state in which you plan to carry a weapon.

some useful websites:

and for those of you proud GEORGIANs I ecourage all of you to become members of found at:
1986 Sovereign 25' CB - "Melody"

2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab, 7.3L PSD

Air #41001
big_john is offline   Reply With Quote