Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 04:14 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
We never had a democracy, we had a republic. We elect officials to do what's in the public interest, not what's in MY interest, necessarily. So you elected one administration who declared huge areas national monuments, and another who un-declared them.
I will say anyone who votes based on any one issue does a disservice to all. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find a candidate who thinks like I do on most things.
Bingo. Furthermore, contrary to several mentions of "state's rights", there is no such thing. States have privileges and responsibilities. Only individuals have rights, and they are spelled out in the first ten amendments.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 04:34 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I read today that the authority to declare areas National Monuments is clear, the authority to un-declare them is in question.

Maggie
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
We never had a democracy, we had a republic. We elect officials to do what's in the public interest,
Exactly!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Hey Mods. Never saw the "hot topic issue" disclaimer pop up before. Good idea!
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

East Hartland , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I don't see this thread as political. It is not Republicans vs Democrats or liberal vs conservative. If anything it is state rights vs federal rights. It is our land paid for by our dollars and to cut off this thread because it is "political" amounts to censorship. What better place for a discussion than a forum where members enjoy use of National Monuments?

I couldn’t agree more.
Tombomb68 is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 07:10 PM   #66
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Bingo. Furthermore, contrary to several mentions of "state's rights", there is no such thing. States have privileges and responsibilities. Only individuals have rights, and they are spelled out in the first ten amendments.
Tell that to most southerners and you will get an argument. The whole country does not agree on almost anything including federal land and state land.
xrvr is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 07:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Tell that to most southerners.
Just stating what "is". No comment on right or wrong. Should've also stated that states have "powers" as well. We should probably brush up on the 10th amendment. I think it'll be challenged soon in the supreme court.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 08:05 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
So let's just all be Happy Campers and try and figure this thing out. If I understand, Obama established Bears Ear last year. So it has only been protected for a year. What happens to it now? Does anyone know for sure? Does it go back to what it was, exactly? I would have some hope that if it hadn't been sold off and developed before, it may not now. Escalante has been protected longer. So that would a bit different? Doesn't it just go back to BLM land?
Ted S. is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

Surfside Beach , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Millions of acres set aside, now reduced to only hundreds of thousands set aside. This affects such a small segment of the population that its hardly a national story. Another example of the media stirring things up.

There is one ranger at Bears Ear to manage the whole national monument. In my opinion that is a big responsibility for one person.
old 10s bum is offline   Reply
Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #70
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
So let's just all be Happy Campers and try and figure this thing out. If I understand, Obama established Bears Ear last year. So it has only been protected for a year. What happens to it now? Does anyone know for sure? Does it go back to what it was, exactly? I would have some hope that if it hadn't been sold off and developed before, it may not now. Escalante has been protected longer. So that would a bit different? Doesn't it just go back to BLM land?
It’s my understanding that the newly unprotected lands are being “opened up for development”, tho interested parties are going to try to stop the new order un-monumenting these designated National Monuments.

Maggie
Old 12-06-2017, 06:14 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I read today that the authority to declare areas National Monuments is clear, the authority to un-declare them is in question.

Maggie
After someone earlier mentioned reading the bill, I found and read the antiquities act and this was the exact thought I came away with.
Although it does talk about, minimizing the area declared, it only specifies declaring them. I would think this will be a part of the legal argument that will be fought, at which point we may see a slight reprieve until something else can be passed with wording to un-declare included.
RandyNH is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
It’s my understanding that the newly unprotected lands are being “opened up for development”, tho interested parties are going to try to stop the new order un-monumenting these designated National Monuments.

Maggie
That is open to debate. Be careful of what you read and their agenda.
xrvr is offline   Reply
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #73

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
<<Mod Hat On>>

Agree or disagree, Airforums is not the venue to affect change in this area. That starts with contacting your elected officials to voice your concerns, or becoming involved in regional, or national organizations poised to address these matters.

You all have effectively covered this subject, as such this thread is being suspended.

The Site Team

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread